Re: Combined_Arms v2.3: Reloaded edition! (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tesculpture

Re: Combined_Arms v2.3: Reloaded edition! (Bugfix 5-25-21)

Post by Tesculpture »

Combine_Kegan wrote:It's actually another helmet slotted over his normal helmet. Though it IS in reference to the Bomber King box art. You can see Arti's normal helmet underneath the visor at low HP.
I see! It all makes sense now; Arti is not just an adventurer, but a gentleman as well! For he believes that his hat deserves its own hat!

Jokes aside, its occurred to me I haven't actually given a proper feedback yet. So here goes.

-The new graphics for the Artificer are great, and the changes are welcome. In particular I like the Cobalt Mace and the Cyclops Cannon a lot more than their forbears. The Mace's ability to smack down even tough monsters in a couple of hits if your footwork is on point makes it a lot better than the old punching gauntlets. The sniper scope on the Cyclops meanwhile gives a unique advantage among the classes.

-The Blastmaster...well, it's the Blastmaster, but with a much needed overhaul. I love it. Having Ranger grenades behave fundamentally the same regardless of temperature makes it a lot easier to use, and both the Firebrand's and the vent attack's new behaviour is vastly more useful than what it did before.

-Playing as Tech Monk makes me feel like a character from a Tatsunoko cartoon!...were Tatsunoko cartoons an inspiration for this at all? Utilizing the various combo attacks makes you burn through ammo fast, but in turn lets you tear through your enemies exceptionally fast too. Fun and a nice change from shooting things with guns. (That said I think I've found another bug; the Kame Bomb's explosion does not seem to alert enemies.)

-Past-Linked is another nice change from guns, albeit a far more slow and methodical one. Learning when and where to utilize the various subweapons takes some practice, but is satisfying (and deadly) when you get it right. That said, I noticed the class can run into difficulties in maps/mapsets that, say, give you a SSG before it gives you a Shotgun - for Past-Linked, this means having no ranged attack whatsoever for an extended period.

-The changes to the Crate Weapons are infinitely welcome; the Reload-Curse was an amusing idea, but not one suitable for the one weapon you expect to be able to bail you out in times of crisis (ie the BFG replacement). Feel like I should have more to say here, but can't think of anything...

-The other little additions, like the new mugshots with their unique per-class foibles, the option for more traditional Berserk-Pack replacements behaviour (I hope you will include this in GMOTA's Ring Of Might as well), and still being able to give your Revenant Box milk to drink, are all wonderful icing on cake.

-Malefactors is also a lot better balanced than Combined Harms was; in particular, the toning down of the Imp's lobbed fireballs means they are no longer as lethal as Chaingunners in close quarters.

Hope this is useful to you. As I said with the last major update, well played sir.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I'm just gonna trim down that huge block of text and just get to this one.
Tesculpture wrote: -Playing as Tech Monk makes me feel like a character from a Tatsunoko cartoon!...were Tatsunoko cartoons an inspiration for this at all? Utilizing the various combo attacks makes you burn through ammo fast, but in turn lets you tear through your enemies exceptionally fast too. Fun and a nice change from shooting things with guns. (That said I think I've found another bug; the Kame Bomb's explosion does not seem to alert enemies.)
Actually that set was more inspired by Xexyz on the NES and Tokusatsu characters as a whole, and I'm glad you've been enjoying this update so far, I'll be sure to make the Kame Bomb alert enemies, coulda sworn I made it do that though.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Damn, I love this mod so much! Great to see all the progress and I'm excited to see the new classes as they come. Any chance of uploading V1.4 again? MKII is great but I'm nostalgic for the old sprites and can't find it anywhere. Thanks for all the hard work!
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Trusty McLegit wrote:Damn, I love this mod so much! Great to see all the progress and I'm excited to see the new classes as they come. Any chance of uploading V1.4 again? MKII is great but I'm nostalgic for the old sprites and can't find it anywhere. Thanks for all the hard work!
In the future I might release a zip folder containing older versions of Combined_Arms, the same with GMOTA, but for right now I'm leaving things as is.
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Fair enough, I was able to find it on an old hard drive anyways. Cheers!
ClessxAlghazanth

Post by ClessxAlghazanth »

Hi ,

I wish I found about this mod earlier :) The classes are very unique and fun to use , and go well with monster packs such as rampancy :P

One thing I noticed is that when playing as past-linked class and using the melee weapon , your shield's hp is displayed (using target spy) instead of enemies you're facing

Not sure if it's know behavior or it's not intended to play with monster hp bar mods , anyway :roll:

Thanks for this great mod :wub:

Best regards ,
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20210805_111217.jpg
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Yeah, I'm afraid with how the shield works, it won't play nice with health bar mods, it's constantly spawning solid actors in front of you to block projectiles and stuff.
ClessxAlghazanth

Combine_Kegan wrote:Yeah, I'm afraid with how the shield works, it won't play nice with health bar mods, it's constantly spawning solid actors in front of you to block projectiles and stuff.
I see :)

Do you have any future plans for Combined Arms ? It's quickly become one of my fave weapon mods 8-)
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Blackgrowl »

Does anyone else have the player selection menu stretch badly that you only see half the helmet? I don't know how to fix it, I do have the latest GZDoom 4.6.1, maybe it's the old config back from GZDoom 4.0.0?
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

I've found another bug relating to non-bleeding monsters; Lilk's Axe does not interact with them (restoring health/consuming axe ammo). The impact FX is that of hitting a wall instead of a valid target.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:Yeah, I'm afraid with how the shield works, it won't play nice with health bar mods, it's constantly spawning solid actors in front of you to block projectiles and stuff.
I see :)

Do you have any future plans for Combined Arms ? It's quickly become one of my fave weapon mods 8-)
I do, I have a few more sets planned
Blackgrowl wrote:Does anyone else have the player selection menu stretch badly that you only see half the helmet? I don't know how to fix it, I do have the latest GZDoom 4.6.1, maybe it's the old config back from GZDoom 4.0.0?
Yeah this is an annoying quirk with newer GZDooms, you can fix it by going into your options menu, using the search, and looking for "Disable clean menu scaling" Toggling that on will bring the class select screen back to a normal size.

Tesculpture wrote:I've found another bug relating to non-bleeding monsters; Lilk's Axe does not interact with them (restoring health/consuming axe ammo). The impact FX is that of hitting a wall instead of a valid target.
That's less a bug and more of a quirk of how I got the weapon set up. Crash states (When you hit non-bleeding actors) are registered the same as a Death state unless you define it otherwise. I think for now I'll leave it as is, the whole point of the axe is draining life force from monsters, and if you're hitting something that isn't bleeding, it's probably made of stone, metal, or some other inorganic material, and it's most likely not alive, technically.
ClessxAlghazanth

For some reason Malefactors doesn't run for me

I load up-to date versions of both CA and Malefactors using ZDL , but I only get regular Doom monsters , no new ones :(

My load order is

Map wad (I tried with Scythe and Demonfear , as well as Doom II iwad)
CA 2.3
Malefactors 1.2

Using GZDoom gles 4.6.1

I tried re-downloading in case of a corrupt/incomplete dl , but nope

CA alone works without issues with vanilla/other custom monster packs such as Rampancy

Any ideas ?

Thx
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

ClessxAlghazanth wrote:For some reason Malefactors doesn't run for me

I load up-to date versions of both CA and Malefactors using ZDL , but I only get regular Doom monsters , no new ones :(

My load order is

Map wad (I tried with Scythe and Demonfear , as well as Doom II iwad)
CA 2.3
Malefactors 1.2

Using GZDoom gles 4.6.1

I tried re-downloading in case of a corrupt/incomplete dl , but nope

CA alone works without issues with vanilla/other custom monster packs such as Rampancy

Any ideas ?

Thx
That doesn't make any sense at all, I did the same thing: Loading up C_A and Malefactors in GZDoom 4.6.1 have you double checked to make sure ZDL is still pointing at the right location for Malefactors?
GameKnut

Post by GameKnut »

Hi! I've been having a ton of fun with Combined Arms so far. I've been tackling some slaughter wads, and it's been a lot of fun. I took the Tech Monk through Hell Revealed 2; absolutely loved the combo system. I played the Past-Linked in Scythe 2; that shield was invaluable for surviving those ridiculous floating hell barons with their 7-projectile attack.

Right now, I'm playing Going Down (which is a blast) with the Blastmaster Mk II. Learning how to manage heat in a slaughter wad is admittedly a bit difficult, but his weapons are certainly capable.
...except for the Fission Sweeper. At medium and high heat, it's just not good. It devours cells far too quickly (4 per medium burst, 8 for high burst!), and doesn't pay out in damage. Just now, it took me about 260 cells to kill a Cyberdemon (with a few misses, I'm not perfect) using only the primary fire. The normal plasma gun does the trick with something like 120 cells, if I recall correctly.
EDIT: Okay, it's more like 160-180 cells. Random damage can be frustrating. At any rate, the Fission Sweeper just isn't performing well. END EDIT
It's weak enough that I'm wondering if it was intended or not; the Blastmaster's guns are supposed to be better at high heat, aren't they? The Fission Sweeper is extremely inefficient at anything but low heat. It's just... not good.

Pocket Revenants make everything better, though.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Apologies for bumping this, but I found a couple of new bugs to report:​
-The Buster Carbine's altfire does not seem to alert enemies.

-When using the Tech Monk's Pearl Laser, if you perform the combo attack, return to the idle state, then press the altfire key (to shoot the offhand Hand Beam), it will instead initiate the Pearl Laser combo attack again, without you having to do the regular attack first.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”