[Release] The D64ifier - Now modular and no longer in beta!

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Re: [Release] The D64ifier... for D64ifying your game.

Post by BrettBotTheCryonaut »

Craneo wrote:the Baron seems to have some weird orange pixels all over his body, is that intentional?
EDIT: also I think you should use the original version of the Pistol Zombieman instead: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54369&hilit=a+bunch+of+doom+64+sprites
since the Brutal Doom 64 one has this ugly "Brutal" muzzleflash on the firing frames that DO fit BD but NOT D64's style imho
Hmmm weird orange pixels you say? I cannot see them I'm afraid... but I had been a bit dissatisfied with the baron and knight any way, so I have no problem replacing them... and WOW thank you so much for this link! These sprites are basically a treasure trove! I can't believe I never knew they existed. The barons and knights both look better than what I am currently using so they are definitely getting swapped out, and same for the zombiemen and shotgunners. even the flaming rubble looks better than my version!
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Any chance of making it only replace the textures of the maps and add the lighting tricks?

I was trying to play with a Doom64 Monsters/Weapons port (YHDoom64 by Yuki), but it conflicts with the items and weapons from it.

Would be great to have them working together.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Links on first post updated to Beta 3 now!
- Replaced the sprites for the pistol zombie, baron of hell, and hellknight with
improved versions
- Replaced the sprites for columns and the column light with better (clearer) versions,
which also have gargoyles on two
- Animated the heart on the heart column so it beats now like the original did in
vanilla Doom
- Got rid of the chaingun sound that sounded more like a drum than a gunshot, so
for now it just uses the pistol sound
- Added new brightmaps for various monsters to light up their eyes in the dark plus
other accents where applicable
- Reworked the sprites for the revenants and archviles to make them fit in a little better with the D64
monsters (upscaled them to the higher resolution, desaturated them by 10%, shifted the colors'
temperature just a little bit colder, and added a little noise)
- Converted a few dozen textures from true color to palette color to ensure they will always look right
- Ten more Doom 64 songs added to bring the total to 30 now.
- Replaced the imp sprites in the Cacomental Edition with ones that have mouths.

Matsilagi wrote:Any chance of making it only replace the textures of the maps and add the lighting tricks?
I was trying to play with a Doom64 Monsters/Weapons port (YHDoom64 by Yuki), but it conflicts with the items and weapons from it.
This is a very perplexing thing to me...... you want a version of the D64ifier that doesn't replace the weapons and monsters with D64 versions... so you can use another mod that replaces the weapons and monsters with D64 versions? But...... why?
Matsilagi

Post by Matsilagi »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:
Links on first post updated to Beta 3 now!
- Replaced the sprites for the pistol zombie, baron of hell, and hellknight with
improved versions
- Replaced the sprites for columns and the column light with better (clearer) versions,
which also have gargoyles on two
- Animated the heart on the heart column so it beats now like the original did in
vanilla Doom
- Got rid of the chaingun sound that sounded more like a drum than a gunshot, so
for now it just uses the pistol sound
- Added new brightmaps for various monsters to light up their eyes in the dark plus
other accents where applicable
- Reworked the sprites for the revenants and archviles to make them fit in a little better with the D64
monsters (upscaled them to the higher resolution, desaturated them by 10%, shifted the colors'
temperature just a little bit colder, and added a little noise)
- Converted a few dozen textures from true color to palette color to ensure they will always look right
- Ten more Doom 64 songs added to bring the total to 30 now.
- Replaced the imp sprites in the Cacomental Edition with ones that have mouths.

Matsilagi wrote:Any chance of making it only replace the textures of the maps and add the lighting tricks?
This is a very perplexing thing to me...... you want a version of the D64ifier that doesn't replace the weapons and monsters with D64 versions... so you can use another mod that replaces the weapons and monsters with D64 versions? But...... why?

Different behaviours and sprites, different options.
Use with mods such as QC:DE and whatnot.
Y'know, just a texture replacer, instead of a complete replacer.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:Made a new video showing my "correction" to the appearance of the cacos and pain elementals (this will be part of an optional version of the D64ifier so if you don't like this change you can always use the more purist-friendly version).
Out of curiosity, what led you to make this change?
BrettBotTheCryonaut

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:Out of curiosity, what led you to make this change?
It always bugged me that Doom 64's "cacodemons" had brown skin, yellow eyes, two big black horns, and arms. Those are all qualities of a pain elemental; not a cacodemon. The storyline says the location was flooded with radiation which mutated some of the demons. The mutations including things like loss of mouths on the imps, a slightly different body shape for the demons, and the splitting of one mouth into two for a certain flying monster all make sense... but pain elementals losing almost all of their distinctive visual qualities while cacodemons coincidentally obtain those same visual qualities? I can suspend my disbelief for a space marine fighting the forces of hell...... but that just seemed too unrealistic to me.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Apologies for being the second guy to perplex you :lol:

But i'd vote +1 for the textures/light only version, sometimes i play mapsets (like Hellbound) with some texture packs, but they hardly look as good as this one makes it.

Great job, dude. This is awesome.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Apologies for being the second guy to perplex you :lol:
- Oh not at all... I mean you know what they say... perplex me once... shame on... shame on you? perplex me twice...... you don't get perplexed again!
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:But i'd vote +1 for the textures/light only version, sometimes i play mapsets (like Hellbound) with some texture packs, but they hardly look as good as this one makes it.
- It just seems to me like the textures/lighting, the sounds, the enemies, and the weapons all fit together like parts of the same puzzle, so I have a hard time wrapping my head around why someone would want to not use them all together at once.
I am considering making a modular version... but I'm also a bit torn. One of the things I know it would be used with is Brutal Dom / Project Brutality...... and that kinda just feels like me working really hard to make some nice guacamole, and then someone dumping a buncha salsa in it, you know? Even Sgt. M#$%@hewhoshallnotbenamed^%#$ knew those two styles didn't mesh right, which is why Brutal Doom 64 is much more subdued and atmospheric than regular Brutal Doom.
But YEAH HELLBOUND! That is one of my "must work" megawads (along with Eternal Doom which will need a compatibility patch, Perdition's Gate, Going Down, D64D2 which will also need a compatibility patch ironically, and Resurgence). So far the only texture I've found that still really seems odd in Hellbound is the "blanket" on your bed when you first start on map01. I'm just considering that whole situation to reflect the influence of Hell corrupting the environment though, which is why your apartment looks so bizarre and your blanket looks like raw meat.
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Great job, dude. This is awesome.
- That is greatly appreciated! I struggled for quite a while wanting to make an atmospheric overhaul but constantly battling feature creep and not being able to nail down a solid scope. Finally I realized that a tribute to the sights and sounds of D64 would reign in my ideas perfectly and give me the structure I needed to create something and actually release it instead of forever tinkering with something that would always be a work in progress and I'm babbling now so anyway thanks bye! :P
Matsilagi

Post by Matsilagi »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Apologies for being the second guy to perplex you :lol:
- Oh not at all... I mean you know what they say... perplex me once... shame on... shame on you? perplex me twice...... you don't get perplexed again!
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:But i'd vote +1 for the textures/light only version, sometimes i play mapsets (like Hellbound) with some texture packs, but they hardly look as good as this one makes it.
- It just seems to me like the textures/lighting, the sounds, the enemies, and the weapons all fit together like parts of the same puzzle, so I have a hard time wrapping my head around why someone would want to not use them all together at once.
I am considering making a modular version... but I'm also a bit torn. One of the things I know it would be used with is Brutal Dom / Project Brutality...... and that kinda just feels like me working really hard to make some nice guacamole, and then someone dumping a buncha salsa in it, you know? Even Sgt. M#$%@hewhoshallnotbenamed^%#$ knew those two styles didn't mesh right, which is why Brutal Doom 64 is much more subdued and atmospheric than regular Brutal Doom.
But YEAH HELLBOUND! That is one of my "must work" megawads (along with Eternal Doom which will need a compatibility patch, Perdition's Gate, Going Down, D64D2 which will also need a compatibility patch ironically, and Resurgence). So far the only texture I've found that still really seems odd in Hellbound is the "blanket" on your bed when you first start on map01. I'm just considering that whole situation to reflect the influence of Hell corrupting the environment though, which is why your apartment looks so bizarre and your blanket looks like raw meat.
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Great job, dude. This is awesome.
- That is greatly appreciated! I struggled for quite a while wanting to make an atmospheric overhaul but constantly battling feature creep and not being able to nail down a solid scope. Finally I realized that a tribute to the sights and sounds of D64 would reign in my ideas perfectly and give me the structure I needed to create something and actually release it instead of forever tinkering with something that would always be a work in progress and I'm babbling now so anyway thanks bye! :P
Ever heard of "Any news is good news?"

That's the case here. Sure, there will be people using the mod on a way you don't like, but atleast the memory is out there and lives, your name and mod will be remembered.

That being said, i just asked for a "texturizer / world changes" only so i could use the other Doom 64 enemies and stuff port which i know have been carefully reverse-engineered, and for QC:DE, which would make playing the entire DOOM games all over again enjoyable with the new visuals.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I understand you perfectly.

It's like somebody making a standalone, free Doom game and after two or three screenshots and a release date people from all places pop up like "HEY CAN WE USE THE SPRITES"

I mean, as much as i find it kinda sad, i also understand that things like this bring the entire community a fresh coat of paint. Imagine your favorite mapsets from the past, now entirely different (visually). So yeah, i kinda know the feeling. Also, i think DrPyspy kinda left this tease on us since he announced his project, so i think we wanted something like that for years.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Indeed that all makes total sense. We'll see how things progress. :)

Yeah that D64-inator that was being worked on was very interesting for sure. From what I read he was wanting to use scripting to dynamically replace the textures on level load? That seems extremely complex and I'm not sure what the advantage was to doing it that way versus just simply replacing textures like I did.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

BrettBotTheCryonaut wrote:Indeed that all makes total sense. We'll see how things progress. :)

Yeah that D64-inator that was being worked on was very interesting for sure. From what I read he was wanting to use scripting to dynamically replace the textures on level load? That seems extremely complex and I'm not sure what the advantage was to doing it that way versus just simply replacing textures like I did.
First got to say i love your work on this, it's been outstanding. May i post some compatibility edits the community can use with other mods, if you don't mind?
BrettBotTheCryonaut

thugsta wrote:First got to say i love your work on this, it's been outstanding. May i post some compatibility edits the community can use with other mods, if you don't mind?
Thanks! That's awesome that you've been working on those - I've been messing around a little with patches for D64D2 and Eternal Doom. Which ones are yours for? Are they patches or edited versions of the mod as a whole? I'd much rather go the route of small compatibility patches as opposed to separate versions of the whole mod.
thugsta

Post by thugsta »

thugsta wrote:First got to say i love your work on this, it's been outstanding. May i post some compatibility edits the community can use with other mods, if you don't mind?
Thanks! That's awesome that you've been working on those - I've been messing around a little with patches for D64D2 and Eternal Doom. Which ones are yours for? Are they patches or edited versions of the mod as a whole? I'd much rather go the route of small compatibility patches as opposed to separate versions of the whole mod.
Mine is an edit so it is a separate version of the whole mod like your caco version for example, i did this to cover the whole bases of mods out there so i have 4 versions that will/should cover almost everyone's needs from a Vanilla Guns version, Vanilla Monsters, Vanilla Guns+Monsters & and Doom64 Enhanced Texture Pack which has everything other then everything that mods will change, make this the most compatible but the others are just as great and i been playing it with MetaDoom for example so far, also lexicon, Hell on Earth Vanilla, Doom 2 Redux and Hellbound as stated here too. All in all they play fine with the versions i made :)

But again must say i absolutely love :wub: your work on this as it has breathed a whole new life into a lot of mods having the atmosphere i want from doom. So, thank you.
BrettBotTheCryonaut

Ah okay gotcha! Nope no need to post those actually I am currently right in the middle of making a whole thing that will serve that purpose and much more! Once the next version gets released there will be three options: All-in-one Purist-friendly, All-in-one Impure, and Modular (build your own D64ifier). The modular version will use an install wizard that steps you through the process of choosing which version you want of each category of changes, and then gives you your custom bundle based on those choices. Here's an overview of how it will go:
1. Textures
- Unchanged
- D64ified, Purist (Doom 64 textures ONLY)
- D64ified, Enhanced (Doom 64 textures as well as some Doom 3, Quake, and other textures)
2. Music
- Unchanged
- D64ified
3. Sound Effects
- Unchanged
- D64ified, Purist (Doom 64 sounds ONLY)
- D64ified, Enhanced (Doom 64 sounds plus some altered Doom 64 sounds, some Doom 3 sounds, and other sounds for added variety)
4. Lighting
- Unchanged (best option for low-end PCs)
- Enhanced, Basic (colored room lighting & object-based dynamic lights, but no procedurally generated scripted texture-based lighting)
- Enhanced, Expanded (includes procedurally generated scripted texture-based lighting - looks great but can cause slowdown in some maps on average/mid-range or low-end PCs)
- Enhanced, Expanded, Survival Horror (makes shadows pitch black so the flashlight becomes essential)
5. Environmental Decorations
- Unchanged
- Purist (sprites from Doom 64 are used with no alterations)
- Enhanced (torch flames utilize additive rendering and particle effects to look more interesting and modern)
6. Environmental Smoke/Fog Effects
- Off
- On
7. Weapons
- Unchanged
- Purist (weapons look and behave exactly like they did in Doom 64)
- Enhanced (projectiles utilize additive rendering and particle effects to look more interesting and modern, bullet-based guns release bullet casings when fired, extra frames of animation are used, extra weapons are included (machine pistol, rifle, and flamethrower), and gloves are black
8. Monsters
- Unchanged
- Purist (monsters look and behave exactly like they did in Doom 64)
- Enhanced (monsters utilize enhanced projectiles, specters and nightmare creatures utilize special shadow effects, monsters have glowing eyes, imps have mouths, standard zombiemen carry pistols, and shotgun zombies are bald)
- Enhanced w/D3 Monsters (mancubus, revenant, archvile, chaingunner, and spider mastermind are replaced with Doom 3 versions)
- Enhanced, Cacomental Edition (cacodemons and pain elementals are swapped visually)
- Enhanced, Cacomental Edition w/D3 Monsters (my favorite one)
9. Player movement
- Unchanged
- Doom 64 style (a little slower and less slippery than classic Doom)
- Quake style (a little more slower and much less slippery)

So you go through those 9 categories making a choice for each one, and then you get your own custom bundle of wads that you just zip up, and rename the zip to pk3, and there you have your own custom D64ifier!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”