The WIP Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The WIP Thread

Post by phantombeta »

Been working on making a Doom E1M1 demo map for my engine. Pretty WIP, but turning out decent.
The video kinda fucked with the colours a bit, those lights are actually red, not orange. And I gotta add emissive maps for textures at some point.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That is honestly pretty amazing, Phantombeta - I can't wait to see more of it later on as improvements are made. :)
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

abysm 2: pharaoh looks great!

not sure if the guys with guns are part of setting or you just cannot find better monsters?
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Lagi wrote:abysm 2: pharaoh looks great!

not sure if the guys with guns are part of setting or you just cannot find better monsters?
The guys with guns are definitely part of the setting.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Been working on this for the past week, and did share some of it on Twitter. for Abysm 2 Expansion #2
Castle
Bridge
Forest
Castle Interior
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The bots spawned! So close, yet so far away from playable! :D

Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Bots gonna bot!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

dpJudas wrote:The bots spawned! So close, yet so far away from playable! :D
What is this? (yes, UT99, but what is it you are working on?)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

He's recreating the whole engine from scratch so that he can play the game using modern and open code rather than dated executables that are iffy if they even work.

Since pretty much the entire gameplay itself is scripted, he only has to handle things like the VM, physics, sound, object loading and management, and rendering.
GreenLegacy

Post by GreenLegacy »

Introducing Blocker!
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Working on a Glock 19 model that I intend to use for my latest project idea in GZDoom (sorta inspired by Total Chaos but will probably never be as good). It's still missing fine details but it's coming together I think!

Rachael wrote:He's recreating the whole engine from scratch so that he can play the game using modern and open code rather than dated executables that are iffy if they even work.

Since pretty much the entire gameplay itself is scripted, he only has to handle things like the VM, physics, sound, object loading and management, and rendering.
Holy crap! That is immensily impressive, and not to mention very valuable when it comes to game preservation! Not to mention it opens up a whole new world for Unreal 1 / UT 99 mods, of which there are plenty. I'm definitely excited for it!
Deybar_TECH
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

Agentbromsnor wrote:Working on a Glock 19 model that I intend to use for my latest project idea in GZDoom (sorta inspired by Total Chaos but will probably never be as good). It's still missing fine details but it's coming together I think!

Wow, I'm really interested.
:o
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Deybar_TECH wrote:
Agentbromsnor wrote:Working on a Glock 19 model that I intend to use for my latest project idea in GZDoom (sorta inspired by Total Chaos but will probably never be as good). It's still missing fine details but it's coming together I think!
Spoiler:

Wow, I'm really interested.
:o
Thanks! I'll keep y'all posted!
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

dpJudas wrote:The bots spawned! So close, yet so far away from playable! :D
How do you plan to implement Fire.dll? I always hoped that the stuff Fire.dll does could be implemented as shader logic on modern hardware, so instead of constantly rendering it in software and uploading to VRAM the GPU is actually procedurally rendering the fractal textures directly as a shader program.
Rachael wrote:He's recreating the whole engine from scratch so that he can play the game using modern and open code rather than dated executables that are iffy if they even work.

It would be great to have a native way of running Unreal (not Unreal Tournament, the first game) because it's been several major releases of Wine and this is still a problem, even with "taskset -c 0":

(I have reproduced this same idiotic braindead "timeout" by doing the exact same process all the time: Start from Entry, open ZM1Lost?Difficulty=3 try to reach ZM1Jungle from ZM1Roulette always produces this idiotic result, Wine is currently at 6.14 and I have been having this problem since 5.xx!!!)

Can't even playtest my own Unreal projects anymore, let alone work on them to any sane degree because trying to use UnrealEd (even with the requisite native overrides) under Wine is completely hopelessly annoying and barely usable, combined with this stupid non-issue issue Wine introduced at some point making it virtually impossible for me to test level progression, I would have had some nice stuff to share in this thread otherwise...
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

KynikossDragonn wrote:How do you plan to implement Fire.dll? I always hoped that the stuff Fire.dll does could be implemented as shader logic on modern hardware, so instead of constantly rendering it in software and uploading to VRAM the GPU is actually procedurally rendering the fractal textures directly as a shader program.
I have an (incomplete) implementation of the fire textures that does it the same way as the original engine did: software rendered particle emitters on a texture updated each frame. It is generally easier for me to track down bugs and missing features the closer I am to how the original engine did things. My goal right now is just to make the game visually look as close as possible to the original. The fewer bugs, the more likely I can get help from other people tracking down what exact properties aren't getting applied correctly.

The real challenge left isn't actually the rendering, but rather implementing all the physics modes close enough to the original so that the scripts run as expected. Of course if I manage to do that well enough then I will probably invest a lot of time into improving the visuals. There are plenty of low-hanging fruit that could significantly improve that part of the game. :)
It would be great to have a native way of running Unreal (not Unreal Tournament, the first game) because it's been several major releases of Wine and this is still a problem
The engine can actually successfully boot the intro map of Unreal right now (including the fly around sequence and the menus). It also almost can boot KHG. Right now I'm just toying around with it to see how big the changes are to the engine. So far it hasn't been too bad. I won't put any real effort into this area until I have UT itself running. I'd rather have it do one of the games well than all of them poorly. Plus, maybe that will actually attract more developers for the project. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”