Iron Assault Remake (Demo Update 2.5)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReformedJoe

Re: Iron Assault Remake (Demo 1.02)

Post by ReformedJoe »

Somehow I missed this. This is really really cool.

As to some of your other points: Yeah the explosive rockets work best against buildings, so if a mission needs you to destroy a building taking some along is a good choice.

Re voice taunts: The original game had them. They are really bad. Maybe I'll include them as an optional feature.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Long time no see.

As my work on Ashes Afterglow is winding down (but not done yet) I've been going through IA again and picking up where I left off.

First mission of the 2nd operation can now be completed, even if its not 100% finished yet. Bunch of new textures are in and some new decorations as well.

Have a look if you want:
Spoiler:
But now we come to an ugly point that I've been dreading. Friendly AI. Oh boy. To get it working (in a non half-assed way) with the way units are currently designed would take a nasty series of kludges on top of an already rickety pile of spaghetti code. So some redesigning is necessary, and I think it can be done in a way that preserves 80% of the work already done. But it's still going to be painful and tedious. To be fair to myself I had no idea what I was doing when I started this project.

If it works the way I'm hoping, it will open a bunch of new possibilities for the AI generally and should make some simple squad commands for friendlies pretty easy to implement. Note that this isn't going to go much beyond "follow me, go here, attack this thing".

So that's where this thing sits for now.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Is this map arctic? I think so and it looks absolutely large. And about Friendly AI, would be nice to consider to color them differently to prevent the friendly fire. You're working real hard and i salute you!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Still chipping away at it. Update beyond the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Sounds exciting! I hope we can have some massive battles if performance allows it.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

The companions in game looks actually fictional and fine! But i somehow hope they can have some kind of personal coloring because i could might mistake them as enemy.
Hor1zon Str1der

Post by Hor1zon Str1der »

I like this. looks way better than the mech themed mod i'm working on.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Cherno wrote:Sounds exciting! I hope we can have some massive battles if performance allows it.
Depending on the size of the map, a few dozen units going at it runs without any major issues. There is a lot inefficiency so I think that number can be increased with a bit of effort.
Captain J wrote:...i somehow hope they can have some kind of personal coloring because i could might mistake them as enemy.

Yeah I get confused as well. I think I'll give allied units unique colors and some kind of floating indicator over their head.
Hor1zon Str1der wrote:I like this. looks way better than the mech themed mod i'm working on.
You mean Deadtech? Or are you working on something else? If you mean Deadtech it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison. The projects are doing vastly different things lol.

Anyway, dev news:
Spoiler:
Hor1zon Str1der

Post by Hor1zon Str1der »

Not Deadtech, I've got like, three or four mods I'm working on.
That0neBr075

Post by That0neBr075 »

Played through the demo and this mod's Certified Rad already. The tracers, particle effects and building destruction especially are pretty gat dang cool. Can't wait for the full release!
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Here ...small showcase on Android

https://youtu.be/Cxa66lun6_w
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Hello, update beyond the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The grey mech color looks good! The green is a bit too snotty for my taste ;)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Gorgeous coloring on the mechs. Also i really like the pic of new maps too!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

This will hopefully be the last update before the new demo.
Spoiler:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”