[RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.07

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Esoteric Doomer
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [RELEASE] DN3DooM - update v.1.06d

Post by Esoteric Doomer »

kipo wrote:Thanks for the kind words.
Bobby wrote:Would it be possible you for you to implement the weapons and ammo types from kickass duke into this mod as a seperate weapon set?
It's possible, but a lot of hard work. It'd be like recreating the kickass mod into mine.
Colerx wrote:I was trying both mods and this one plays better in gameplay. While from the other one I like additional weapons, interface, duke gloves, voices , the general less vanilla orientation lets say, a mix of the two would be a blast for me, but we can't have everything we want I presume hehe.
I actually prefer a more vanilla approach, with enhancements.

I'm currently trying to add my own flavor to the weapons (if that makes sense), like for example in this video I've added an Alt fire to the Shrinker (and some other updates):

That looks sick! 8-) :3:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

All of the features are really clever and profound, especially the shrinker's alt-fire. Never thought of that really! But that lameduke octabrain looks like a pain to deal with. Hope i still can hurt and kill it while controlling something, like dead duke.

Just trust nobody, not even yourself.
kipo

Post by kipo »

Captain J wrote:All of the features are really clever and profound, especially the shrinker's alt-fire. Never thought of that really! But that lameduke octabrain looks like a pain to deal with. Hope i still can hurt and kill it while controlling something, like dead duke.

Just trust nobody, not even yourself.
Yeah Lamduke's octabrain gives a good challenge, but it is enjoyable. You can shoot at it while it is controlling something, but the damage is directed to the possessed victim (and amplified). Big guns like rockets get the job done in most cases.
kipo

Post by kipo »

New video with some updates I've been working on:

Colerx

Post by Colerx »

Cool Coool!
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

The Megasphere replacement seems to cause a crash if you pick it up.

I did not load any other mod with this, I simply loaded with with Doom 2 and the game crashed when I picked up the Megasphere replacement.

Edit: Never mind. The Atomic Health works fine, it may have been something else entirely.
kipo

Post by kipo »

It may have been something else that crashed the game just as you picked up the megasphere (coincidence). I've been ironing some bugs too, there's a nasty one that crashes if you die from an explosion and don't respawn before your gibs disappear (it's more noticeable in coop).
There may be others, please if you encounter a crash again take a screenshot of the error.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

kipo wrote:New video with some updates I've been working on:

As usual I am loving the updates and this mod!

That being said, I have to agree with a few gents in the youtube comments, I think always having the explosive shell ability is a bit OP regardless of ammo consumption. It feels like an overcompensation for how useful/powerful the SSG is.

I would have to agree I think having explosive shells as a special pickup would make perfect sense when you consider -
- (Forgive my lack of coding/scripting knowledge if i'm wrong) If you were so inclined to placate those who wouldn't want it, I would assume it would be far more easy to disable the explosive shells pick up by having an option to remove them from spawning in the map entirely rather than make special exceptions for the shotgun
- The mechanic is verbatim from Duke Nukem 64 (speaking of which I think the Dum Dum rounds would be awesome, just a thought)
- Duke Zero Hour also had a "X amount of super special bullets" pickups for a few weapons also

I'm aware I'm kinda implying its more 'lore friendly,' that's not my intention. I just think its 'two birds with one stone' deal where it fits in the 'canon' and doubles as a way to make it more balanced.

Regardless I think you're doing an amazing job with adding features while still feeling faithful to vanilla. :D
kipo

Post by kipo »

Thanks. I'm sure you are right, but I just didn't want to deal with more ammo types (there's already plenty of weapons and ammo types), especially since I'm adding more alt-fires.
Maybe when I'm done I can of think of something that doesn't involve special bullets for each kind of alt fire, but covers the whole spectrum.
Or maybe some enemies can occasionally drop the special ammo, but I think that actually breaks balance, since you'll have even more ammo to spend per weapon (all the regular one and all the special one), since you always end up with more ammo than you can use it'll just accumulate.
From the programming side, I think it's actually easier to disable alt-fires, but that's not my main concern, it's the ease of use, fun factor, and also balance.
We'll see, for now I've been getting positive feedback on the current implementation (from coop playthroughs).
Ashat Maself

Post by Ashat Maself »

Would you mind if I made my own fork of the mod, adding weapons from duke3d mods and expansions?
Linz

Post by Linz »

Add weapons from Kickass Duke *wink*
kipo

Post by kipo »

Ashat Maself wrote:Would you mind if I made my own fork of the mod, adding weapons from duke3d mods and expansions?
Sure man, no problem.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Linz wrote:Add weapons from Kickass Duke *wink*
That or alien armageddon. *Double wink*
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Ashat Maself wrote:Would you mind if I made my own fork of the mod, adding weapons from duke3d mods and expansions?
You could have a loadout system system for the different mod weapons, ie Kickass Duke loadout, Alien Armageddon loadout, etc.
kipo

Post by kipo »

That's actually a good idea, but instead of different independent "packs" with different setups, maybe it could be handled with different player classes, like one class for regular duke, other for kickass duke, AA's Shelly, AA's Duke, etc.
The hard part is coding each weapon, some of them are very complex.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”