VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED September 1, 2022

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rowsol

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED March 13

Post by Rowsol »

VDP very much has an effect on drops.

ACTOR ClipReplacer: RandomSpawner2 replaces Clip
{
DropItem "Clip2" 255, 24
DropItem "ClipOnOff" 255, 1
}
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Gonna have to confirm what Rowsol and Shatter-Thought said. I dealt with the same (similar?) issue with Hellrider. If I loaded it one way I'd get only Hellrider assault rifle drops every time from those enemies that drop clips (I believe they're supposed to drop pistol mags instead/too[?]) but if I loaded it another way I'd occasionally get Hellrider pistol ammo drops but also vanilla Doom bullet clips from those enemies that drop clips.
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Okay, So I did test with Hellriderv0.9c and did get the vanilla clip drop bug from one of the zombieman and one from a scientist. I have no way of finding how that even happened or which scientist dropped it. My best guess is that it might have to do with the bulletkits, but I'm not going to work on a fix for it. I have no clue what the Creator's original intent was for those ammo items, nor can I find the spawner that handles that event scripting.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

No worries, I understand those kinds of fixes can be wildly annoying to figure out.

Thanks for checking into it!
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

This is something I've been thinking about and has been on my to-do list for awhile now.

I had originally underestimated how much people use weapon mods. I personally only use smooth weapon animations and that's it.

I added the ammo "kit" replacements, because I really like to add things that really fit the original games. Kind of like my favorite monsters are often simple ones that feel like they could have actually been from Doom.
The other reason was to give players little extra ammo to balance some of the tougher monster variants.

But people are constantly having problems when using weapon mods with this.
I think it would be best for me to remove the ammo replacements completely.

Instead I could make each monster that drop ammo to have a small chance to drop extra to make up for the change.
And maybe in time I could make an optional ammo multiplier option instead. So if ammo balance feels off when playing something specific, you could turn the multiplier up/down.
GZDoom does have "Double ammo" in "Gameplay settings" menu, but I think that's too much in most cases.

I've been thinking this for awhile and I think it's time to do something about it.
Sorry for all the inconveniences this has been causing with weapon mods.

I have many things on my to-do list. But for right now I'll only do this one.
I'll update once the change is done. I'll try to do it this weekend.

Hope the power-up replacers are fine... I really like them.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

No worries! I'll be more than happy to try it out when you release an update. <3

I don't think the powerups were a problem when I played because those could be enabled and disabled via a CVAR. I'll do some extra testing to see if there are any other anomalies with other mods. (:
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

It's updated now. Ammo is no longer replaced by anything, so it shouldn't cause ammo related conflicts with weapon mods anymore.
Now each monster that drop ammo has a small chance to drop an extra clip or shell. And a very small chance to drop one of those ammo kits as a bonus.
I haven't tested too much so the drop chance for the extra ammo might change in the future.
Also zombie replacers that used to drop cells on death(plasma zombies etc.) now only have a 50%(25% after May 30th update) chance to do so. In my experience I was getting a little too many cells with this mod in the past.

I did also end up adding 2 new monsters:
"SuperDevil" for Imp
"Loper" for Demon

Both are pretty rare, but they're there now.

And I nerfed the damage output of Uberchain and UnmakerGuy. And made them little bit more rare.
Someone requested that(I think it was in Youtube comments). They were a little too strong before.

I didn't do any planned bigger things for this update yet(like turning off certain type of monsters, adding menu that allows you to spawn any monster). I need to find better time for those. I just wanted to add some extra on top of fixing the ammo problem.

Hope it's better with weapon mods now!
Thanks for all the feedback!

Edit:
Did some more balancing for ammo drops. Updated May 30th.
Last edited by Plynthus on Sun May 30, 2021 6:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Nems wrote:I'll do some extra testing to see if there are any other anomalies with other mods. (:
You don't have to do that just to test, but I appreciate it of cource!

My main goal is to make this as good as I can without other any other mods.
Meaning I will prioritize no extra mods over a specific mod. When it means I have to give up something to make it more compatible.
I changed the ammo thing because it seemed to be a very common problem. And what it added to my mod wasn't that much. So it definitely wasn't worth it.
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED May 30

Post by Plynthus »

For people who already downloaded yesterday's updated version. Or even earlier today.

I've been doing a lot of balancing for the ammo drops. I've updated the download 3 times today.
It's the only change, but will affect gameplay a lot.

I'm pretty happy in how it is now. I've played the first 10 levels of Doom II multiple times today for testing.
So I don't think I need to be changing it much more after the newest version.

Sorry for not testing enough before posting yesterday(that version is not unplayable. you'll just get noticeably more ammo.).

Edit:
Updated again May 31st. Did even more balancing for the ammo drops.
Bbb23burks

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED May 31

Post by Bbb23burks »

There is no KDiZDNightmare in this mod
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Bbb23burks wrote:There is no KDiZDNightmare in this mod
I’ll check that one again at some point.

I think I skipped it very early, because at that point I barely knew how to do anything when something needed to be changed.
I don’t want to add a monster that is mostly invisible without doing any changes.
And also the code was in zscript instead of decorate, which I understood even less.

I’m sure I can do something with it now.
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Plynthus wrote:
Bbb23burks wrote:There is no KDiZDNightmare in this mod
I’ll check that one again at some point.

I think I skipped it very early, because at that point I barely knew how to do anything when something needed to be changed.
I don’t want to add a monster that is mostly invisible without doing any changes.
And also the code was in zscript instead of decorate, which I understood even less.

I’m sure I can do something with it now.
ZSCRIPT is basically Decorate but with more punctuation. Personally I hate it. LMAO because if you forget one semicolon the code don't work. Decorate doesn't have that issue. I've converted ZSCRIPT monsters over to Decorate before. If you want the idea on how that works then go check out this as an example: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:DoomImp

Its just the Imp and it's written in both forms.

Basically Decorate is superior for writing simple stuff, and ZSCRIPT on simple stuff is decorate + lots of ending semicolons. ZSCRIPT does have a few superior things it can do, but that's usually by making custom monster attacks happen all on the same frame like a triple spread fireball.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

kalensar wrote:
ZSCRIPT is basically Decorate but with more punctuation. Personally I hate it. LMAO because if you forget one semicolon the code don't work. Decorate doesn't have that issue. I've converted ZSCRIPT monsters over to Decorate before. If you want the idea on how that works then go check out this as an example: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:DoomImp

Its just the Imp and it's written in both forms.

Basically Decorate is superior for writing simple stuff, and ZSCRIPT on simple stuff is decorate + lots of ending semicolons. ZSCRIPT does have a few superior things it can do, but that's usually by making custom monster attacks happen all on the same frame like a triple spread fireball.
Yes, I'm more familiar with it now. But at the time when I didn't even understand much DECORATE code, ZSCRIPT was a no for me.

I've also translated couple monsters from ZSCRIPT to DECORATE.
I think it was Hellsmith which I spent about 30-60 minutes to translate.
And only after I was done I noticed that the lump called "OldCode" or something like that had DECORATE in it. Somehow when I saw it say old code I didn't even bother to check, 'cause I assumed it was just older version in ZSCRIPT.
I'll just much rather use DECORATE, especially when some monsters require a lot of more complicated nerfing. Like Hellsmith which was probably the hardest yet. Such a great monster.

I've also noticed ZSCRIPT having some things that can't be done with just DECORATE.

Thanks for this anyway!
Plynthus

Re: VDP-MonsterRandomizer UPDATED January 26

Post by Plynthus »

Turin Turambar wrote: That said, if I can put something of the wishlist of new features, I wish there were some toggles to enable/disable themes of monsters. With this I mean, there are already enough amount of monsters that you could classify it in three types, 'sci-fi', 'fantasy' and 'neutral', and the player would be able to enable/disable each to add their monsters to the random pool.
"Neutral" monsters is now available. Download for the most recent version is in the main post.
Using this will disable most of the obviously "out of theme" monsters.

Sorry for taking forever with this.
I literally called it Neutral Monsters, 'cause I'm not sure what would be more clear without too many words.

You have to download it on top of the main vdp randomizer mod.
I put a little text for the options menu which you can use to make sure the load order is correct:
Spoiler:
So the load order is correct if the text is below REPLACER SETTINGS.

I'll post a list soon which lists all the monster names, and shows which have been disabled.
So anyone can let me know if you think something else should be disabled. And if I've disabled something that you think I shouldn't have.
Last edited by Plynthus on Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Plynthus

Post by Plynthus »

Monster list for "Neutral" monsters:
(the disabled ones are in bolded text )
Spoiler:
Sorry for only having the "ACTOR" names for the monsters.

So please anyone who's interested.
If you think something else should be disabled. Or if you think something shouldn't be disabled from the ones I already have.
Please let me know.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”