Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
thewolfman00001

Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped

Post by thewolfman00001 »

Welcome to Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped! a balance mod that aims to make Doom a much more fun, engaging, and consistent experience across the board. I had a lot of time to think about the way I did things with the previous versions and I believe (IMHO) that this is the most refined version of my mod yet, and I hope that you have as much fun playing it as I had revisiting it! The goals of the project are as follows:

-Removal of damage RNG from weapons and monsters. This not only makes the weapons in your arsenal more reliable and effective, but it also makes your encounters with monsters much more consistent and deadly overall.

-Providing balance changes to weapons to improve their effectiveness, monsters to improve their lethality, and items to improve their viability.

-Introducing dynamic difficulty scaling to make the jump from difficulty to difficulty more influential and impactful, with monster damage being balanced around this scaling system and Hurt Me Plenty being used as a middle ground.

-Trimming the fat from my previous versions of the mod. There are many bits of custom content that I removed for the sole purpose of making the experience more focused and balanced overall, and I only kept in what could be fully integrated into the experience in a consistent fashion.

A full list of changes can be found below.

Changes and Credits:
Spoiler:
Run this mod on the latest version of GZDoom with Doom 2 or Final Doom. Don't use this mod with any other mods that change gameplay, or level packs that replace the weapons, monsters, or items modified here (unless they replace the WolfensteinSS or Commander Keen actors. I left them unmodified for compatibility with megawads that replace them with new enemies).

Once again, I hope all of you enjoy this mod and the changes and features that it brings. I hope that you all have a great day and that you remember that you are loved and valid! <3

Download (Main Version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ktmj0R ... sp=sharing
Download (Ultimate Doom Version): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lionSA ... sp=sharing
Last edited by thewolfman00001 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 am, edited 23 times in total.
thewolfman00001

Re: Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped

Reformatted the main post, hopefully it's more readable and it catches people's attention more!
thewolfman00001

Put out a minor update to Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped. The changes are as follows:

-Removed "aggressiveness" flag from nightmare
-Reimplemented fast monsters into nightmare difficulty and modified the parameters for it (projectiles and monsters that were previously affected by fast monsters are no longer faster and move at normal speeds)

I have updated the changes and credits documentation to reflect these changes as well as updated the download link. I hope you are all enjoying my mod and I hope that you have a great day! <3
thewolfman00001

Put out a minor update to Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped. The changes are as follows:

-Removed revenant missile attack speed buff
-Nerfed cyberdemon attack speed buff from 12% to 9%

I have updated the changes and credits documentation to reflect these changes as well as updated the download link. I hope you are all enjoying my mod and I hope that you have a great day! <3
thewolfman00001

-Removed the "Disable Cheats" flag from all of the difficulties

thewolfman00001

-Removed revenant projectile speed nerf
-Rebalanced guardsphere (increased damage protection from 25% to 50%, reduced power-up duration from 60 seconds to 30 seconds)
-Rebalanced bullet ammo (max ammo decreased from 400 to 300 without backpack, and 800 to 600 with backpack, amount of ammo gained from ammo drops reduced by 50%)

thewolfman00001

-Restored revenant missile attack speed buff (missile attack speed increased by 10%)
-Further rebalanced guardsphere (decreased damage protection from 50% to 37.5%, increased power-up duration from 30 seconds to 45 seconds)
-Further rebalanced bullet ammo (max ammo increased from 300 to 320 without backpack, and 600 to 640 with backpack, amount of ammo gained from ammo drops increased by 10%)

thewolfman00001

-Reworked "I'm Too Young To Die" difficulty (implemented 25% monster health decrease, removed double ammo)
-Reworked "Nightmare" difficulty (implemented 25% monster health increase, removed fast monsters)

PS: This is probably going to be the last update. There are other projects that I want to start working on that I have put off on doing for far too long.
thewolfman00001

Put out a minor update to Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped (Alright, THIS is the last update, I swear). The changes are as follows:

-Further reworked "I'm Too Young To Die" difficulty (implemented doubled health gains from health items, removed decreased monster health)
-Further reworked "Nightmare" difficulty (reimplemented "aggressiveness" flag, removed increased monster health)

JohnDoe8

Post by JohnDoe8 »

I'm a sucker for "vanilla plus" type of mods this is a godsend!
thewolfman00001

JohnDoe8 wrote:I'm a sucker for "vanilla plus" type of mods this is a godsend!
Aye! Thanks for the comment! I hope you enjoy the mod! <3
thewolfman00001

Put out a minor update to Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped (Just some last minute refinement). The changes are as follows:

-Further rebalanced guardsphere (increased damage protection from 37.5% to 50%)
-Fixed a minor inconsistency in the damage scaling values

thewolfman00001

Put out a minor update to Wolfman's Gameplay Modifications: Revamped (Even more last minute refinement). The changes are as follows:

-Buffed pain elemental (implemented "MISSILEMORE" flag, which makes the pain elemental more aggressive)

onContentStop
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by onContentStop »

Pretty fun mod. Can you fix the Revenant's "dead zone", the distance at which they are going for a melee attack and never shoot?
thewolfman00001

onContentStop wrote:Pretty fun mod. Can you fix the Revenant's "dead zone", the distance at which they are going for a melee attack and never shoot?
Hey there, thanks for the comment! The dead zone of the revenant isn't a bug or something to be fixed, it's a intentional design choice which adds a good layer of strategy to facing the revenant as a whole. If I were to reduce the size of the dead zone or remove it entirely, it could potentially make the revenant unbalanced or cause other types of problems. I hope you understand where I am coming from and I am glad that you are enjoying my mod <3

EDIT: I playtested reducing the dead zone of the revenant by 20% and it actually felt like a good change, so expect a update soon :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”