Hellrider v0.9c - Swift Demon Killing! (28-04-21)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zonky

Re: Hellrider v0.9c - Swift Demon Killing! (28-04-21)

Post by Zonky »

This mod is great but I have some suggestions, I basically made this account just so I can post this lmao.

Is it possible to add options that let you tone down (or up) some gun features? Some examples would be like less muzzle flash, a volume slider, etc.
kalensar
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Zonky wrote:This mod is great but I have some suggestions, I basically made this account just so I can post this lmao.

Is it possible to add options that let you tone down (or up) some gun features? Some examples would be like less muzzle flash, a volume slider, etc.

Technically its possible but to be honest this current 0.9c version actually has LESS flash and smoke than the older versions. I once modified an older version to cut the flash and smoke and noise down. This current version is much much kinder on low spec comps.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Which from my experience, majority of the lag I get comes from bullet casings, which you can easily turn off.
Zonky

Post by Zonky »

kalensar wrote:
Zonky wrote:This mod is great but I have some suggestions, I basically made this account just so I can post this lmao.

Technically its possible but to be honest this current 0.9c version actually has LESS flash and smoke than the older versions. I once modified an older version to cut the flash and smoke and noise down. This current version is much much kinder on low spec comps.
I never played the older versions but I did compare this version with the one Icarus reviewed and I gotta be honest, I can't tell any differences.

Also it's not a spec problem I'm having, it's mostly just a me problem, I like being able to see and hear what I'm shooting at y'know?
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

Endie put in a completely new SuperShotgun in this last version though it looks very similar. The Rifle, not the infinite smg, also got a good overhaul too. The same applies to the starting pistol choices. The control scheme also got overhauled and made better for like sliding. It was a pretty big update for QoL changes.
huanlopan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by huanlopan »

kalensar wrote:@Endie

It's because you have the EXTREMEDEATH flag on the grenades and projectile of the grenades.

EXTREMEDEATH
This projectile or puff always gibs its victim.
How would I go about editing that in Slade to tide me over for the next update?
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

huanlopan wrote:
kalensar wrote:@Endie

It's because you have the EXTREMEDEATH flag on the grenades and projectile of the grenades.

EXTREMEDEATH
This projectile or puff always gibs its victim.
How would I go about editing that in Slade to tide me over for the next update?
Open the PK3 or zip in SLADE

Go to Actors folder--> Weapons folder-- WP5 is the name of the file. If the actor says grenade launcher then you got the right one. Then cntrl+F "+EXTREMEDEATH". Then you can just delete each instance of it. Save the file and update the zip file.

Please note that the Grenade launcher is still going to be super strong, but the removal of that Weapon Flag will stop it from forcing extreme deaths, aka gibs, on everything it touches.

Edit- I just tested it on E2M8 against a vanilla CyberDemon and it took about 13 grenades to kill him under that fix.
huanlopan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by huanlopan »

^Alright, thanks man.

Endie, I'm sure you've already noticed, but the bottom right part of the muzzleflash for the AR-15 is drawn over the body of the rifle. And I sort of miss the rifle from from 0.9a over the AR-15. Maybe include that as an option? The sound for it was just kickass. Really dig the .357/knife combo over the .50 deagle, and the over/under shotgun feels and looks a lot better than before. Keep it up man.
mamaluigisbagel

I think I found a (minor) bug where if you fire all the bullets from the pistol (not the Deagle), have it reload, and then reload again, it plays the animation from reloading from no ammo again. Might need to switch weapons and switch back to the pistol then reload, haven't tested that yet. I usually just noticed the bug after switching back to the pistol and reloading it.
SaveTheDoomer
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

Just one tiny bug : the plasma rifle ignores infiniteammo :geek:
Bochulain
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Hellrider v0.9a - Swift Demon Killing!

Post by Bochulain »

One rule I have is ignore me if you like what you did because I have bad opinions. That said,
Endie wrote:Thanks! I'm glad, and I also have news regarding the sound design too. It's nothing much but now when reloading your gun there will also be an extra "oomph" added to it
I like all the sounds except the shotgun reload, only because it's a bit too detailed/loud, and the double jump, for similar reasons. The shotgun I liked when it was just some shells going into a tube; I'm not sure what it is now, but I don't know guns that well so maybe it *is* better. I figure the mechanical sound of the double jumping and wall running is to make it seem less fantastical, but really, it's impossible to do those in real life anyway, so the simple "huh!" from the jump was enough for me. The AR-15 sounds awesome, although I truly miss the out-of-place distant echo sound effect. I don't think the Doom engine can differentiate between wide open spaces and enclosed spaces, so really, it's probably for the best. *sniffle*

The new intro music/secret-found sound/and whatever else are pretty neat. I think I liked the previous ones more, but maybe I had just got used to them. I dunno. Like I said, I have bad taste.
Endie wrote:Ohh about that, yeah I have something else on store for these animations, in fact I uploaded a preview not long ago

...I've been holding and polishing the next version of Hellrider for quite a while now, but in the next update she will have her own player sprites too, I've been working for a while on them.
Dude, that player sprite is AWESOME. You have completely captured the character you created, got the angles right, and even managed to get the proportions right. That's some masterful pixel art you did there, and I wouldn't change a thing.

I'll be honest, I don't like the new pistol/knife combo. The previous pistol was plenty of power, and the new one being a railgun bothers me. I also miss the ironsights, and while I do like the knife, I don't like her holding it and a pistol. I guess that's a new action film trope? I saw it in Metal gear once, but never since, so I don't know what the inspiration for it is. Making the knife an alternate option for the axe, or maybe a replacement for it when you get the Berserk pack, would be nice. I also REALLY miss that empty chamber reload where she flips the mag into the air before slotting it. Made it look like she enjoyed her job.

All of that said, you did a really good job with the new empty chamber reload animation, with the thingy you use to slot the first round sticking out (I'm a pro BTW).

I'm a wuss, so I'm not a fan of the kick on the AR-15. I liked the precision the previous iteration had, but I can get used to this one I'm sure.
Endie wrote:I couldn't quite replicate this on my end. Maybe you're being hit by the smoke spawners that happens to be hitscan attacks, but they all should "stop" at a certain radius, weird.
I'll have to test this more. It's not *every* time, but it's often enough. It might be tied to a specific weapon, or a specific angle/distance that I'm always using. I'm also too lazy to rebuild my .ini file as often as I probably should, so it might be junk settings from the previous version of this mod or from other mods. And maybe I just have a screwey computer that does weird things like sometimes forget half the keys on my keyboard are there until I hold them down for like 6 seconds. Seriously that last thing happens and I don't get it either.

Anyway, thanks for this mod, you're awesome, your family is probably awesome, and your mod is awesome.
mamaluigisbagel

I've noticed something that's been bugging me. Some monster packs when used with this mod mess with the player's hit/death sounds. ie with Doosk monsters, the player's death makes the sound of "The Horror's" death sound (which is a loud snap) and with Vanilla Plus Monster Randomizer, sometimes getting damaged plays what sounds like a growl from one of the enemies. Is this something that's possible to fix?
kalensar

Post by kalensar »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:I've noticed something that's been bugging me. Some monster packs when used with this mod mess with the player's hit/death sounds. ie with Doosk monsters, the player's death makes the sound of "The Horror's" death sound (which is a loud snap) and with Vanilla Plus Monster Randomizer, sometimes getting damaged plays what sounds like a growl from one of the enemies. Is this something that's possible to fix?
Thats most likely a load order issue. You put the weapons pack below monster pack. If you are dragging and dropping then you use cntrl + click to grab the files then drag. You click the exact order you load:
1. map
2.map textures
3.monsters
4 weapons
5 hud
mamaluigisbagel

I've tried that, and while it does fix the sounds, it also causes the enemies to drop vanilla ammo instead of the mod's ammo. I figure that part is probably the fault of the monster packs, but I'm no expert.
Bochulain
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Bochulain »

I want to take back what I said earlier about not liking the kick of the AR-15. Use it right and the kick is basically irrelevant. The only change I'd want is to swap the stopping power of the pistol and the AR so that the pistol becomes backup for the AR instead of the other way around.
Everything I said was awesome is still awesome, and I wanted to point out a neat synergy I found. Using "Stylish Doom" with this mod creates the (surprisingly high) possibility of spawning sergeant replacements that have your plasma railgun. If they see you, you lose. Period. Well, if you're at 200 health you can take like 4 hits from them, but they shoot really fast, so you may as well give up if you don't get them before they get a shot off. I love the lethality of this release; stuff dies fast, and you die fast. It makes it more of a game than a slog. You can take down a revenant with 4 shotgun shells, and everyone hits like a truck, so you better take them down in four shells or you lose.
There's a bunch of stuff I'd change, but going over it a minute ago I realized I was just indicating I liked the aesthetics of the previous version more than the aesthetics of this version, and since that's, like, just my opinion, man, it's not worth bringing up. (Okay I miss the flippy reload and the iron sights on my hand cannon and the out of place AR echo but everything else I miss is nit-picky).

Edit: I did minimal testing and found that weird thing with the barrels causing damage particles is probably a combo with one of my quality-of-life mods like Target Spy or Nightvision. I dunno. Maybe I should test more.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”