Disappearing 3d Models

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
Moebius

Disappearing 3d Models

Post by Moebius »

1. I've noticed something that only occurs in the game and not in Ultimate Doom Builder or GZDoom Builder.
2. First, within DECORATE, for each ACTOR, one describes a box (radius/height), which can be solid or not, about the 0,0,0 of the model. The center of the box' bottom face is at 0,0,0. You will see this box in your Builder with whatever sprite attributed.
3. I usually make most 16 x 32, which makes a 32 x 32 box.
4. Now here is the problem I'm seeing. While playing the WAD, if the extent of the box (not visible in the game) moves out of frame, but portions of the model are still in frame, then the whole model disappears. If you bring the box area back in frame, the model returns.
5. I resolved the problem in some cases by making the box very large. I have a pipe snaking around the ceiling and had to make the box 384 x32 so that some of the box was always in frame no matter where in the room your were standing.
6. Is this something in GZDOOM and how it handles models? Problem exists for OBJ and M3 models.
Enjay

Re: Disappearing 3d Models

Post by Enjay »

This is actually something that goes way back, and it happens with sprites too (it's just far less likely to be noticed with them). If the sector that an actor is in isn't visible, then the sprite/model will not be shown even if it is a big sprite/model that spills out of the sector and can still be in the player's field of view when the sector isn't.

However, there is a solution. Use the RenderRadius actor property in your DECORATE and set it big enough to make sure that the whole sprite/model fits inside the RenderRadius (i.e. basically the same size as the sprite/model).
WARCHILD_89
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Disappearing 3d Models

Post by WARCHILD_89 »

Enjay wrote: However, there is a solution. Use the RenderRadius actor property in your DECORATE and set it big enough to make sure that the whole sprite/model fits inside the RenderRadius (i.e. basically the same size as the sprite/model).

wow! I should have known that earlier :D thanks for the info!

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”