You Fix It! - RC2.1 out!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

You Fix It! - RC2.1 out!

Post by kevansevans »

Project repository: https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix-It-

Recommended ZDoom based port at minimum.
RC2.1 Download: https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... /tag/RC2.1
RC2 Download: https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... es/tag/RC2
RC1 Download: https://github.com/kevansevans/You-Fix- ... es/tag/RC1

Let's imagine it's 1993 again and you're on your work computer at id Software, three days before the deadline of Doom being released. You're clacking away at your keyboard when you feel a tap on your shoulder, you turn around to see a very angry John Romero. He throws a floppy at your chest and shouts "You fix it!" and leaves the building. Everyone else stares at you a bit shocked at what had just happened. Last you checked, the map he was working on was just fine, what could you possibly do to improve it? Well you better do something, leaving it as is would surely get you fired.

You're tasked with "fixing" E1M1. Not a prototype, not an unfinished or incomplete version, not an alternative universe where Tom Hall or Sandy Peterson made E1M1. The E1M1 we got, and you had to "fix it". The goal here is to take an already finished map, and build on top of it like your boss demanded you to. Changing it how you see fit until you're satisfied with the results...

..And then pass that map you just made onto someone else, making it their turn to "fix it". Yes, you have to give your map to someone else and they are required to perform changes to it. The end result would be a series of maps that progressively change over time, maybe even invoking a sense of deja-vu. The last map resulting in such a dramatic change, it'd be a night and day difference comparing it to E1M1. As the submissions go further, it will get easier to make more dramatic and absurd changes, so anyone who wants to do something more grand, it'll be best to wait for a later spot.

or, tl;dr we're pulling a E3M1 -> E3M9 except we keep doing that for the whole set of maps.
Spoiler: Participants
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/P1VaqG0[/imgur]

Requirements

- Provide a "fixed" map of the previous entry
- Provide a .txt file explaining your changes
- Ultimate Doom IWAD
- Have a map ready in 3 days.
- Have fun!

DO:

- Make any changes that you see fit!
- Add things!
- Remove things!
- Improve things!
- Make things harder!
- Make things easier!
- Inform the previous mapper(s) of any bugs that need to be fixed.
- Fix those bugs yourself in your map.
- Respect the difficulty curve.
- Communicate with the mappers picking up after you.

Do not:

- Be lazy.
- Change things so much that your map is unrecognizable from the previous
- Add extremely dramatic changes that makes it harder for the next mapper to work with
- Deliberately make "awful" changes
- Deliberately give broken maps. The point isn't that the maps are literally broken or unfinished.

May I ...?

- Add custom textures? Yes!
- Add custom enemies? Yes!
- Add custom Weapons that use existing ammo types? Yes!
- Change the map format? Yes!
- Work with some buddies on the same entry? Yes!
- Fix bugs in my map after submission? Yes!
- Use light scripting? Yes!
- Make a secret map? Maybe!*
- Use the E1M1 slot? No!
- Add custom Weapons that use new ammo types that future mappers would have to also use to balance things? No!
- Make big changes to my map after submission? No!**
- Start with a different existing map, I don't like E1M1! No!***
- Make my level rely so hard on custom content that it can't reasonably function without them? No!
- Change earlier maps to accommodate my own? No! Why would you do this to begin with?

Signing up!

Due to the nature of this project, maps can only be accomplished one by one. So signups will be on a first come first serve basis. On day three of your turn, I'll pester you for a .wad and a .txt. Unless told in advanced there might be difficulties, failure to have a map ready in 3 days means we'll skip you! Please don't abuse this. We'll keep this going until people get tired and or give up. End goal would probably be 7 maps and 1 secret. The text file expected does not have to be ready in 3 days, take as much time as you need, but please have it ready before we all finish.

Addendums:

* The secret map slot may be bestowed upon someone who thinks they can "plutonia-fy" the last map, aka turn the last map in the project into a GO2IT. If it comes to the point we want a secret map, extra time will be granted to collaborate with the volunteer to make the map, and the last mapper so they can add a secret exit. If the last mapper isn't willing to add a secret exit, then the mapper making the secret level may also work on their own map to work as the last entry with an added secret exit.

** Obviously the definition of a "big change" is subjective, but you ideally do not want to make a change that gives the impression the next map maker did not work off of the same map as the one in the end. Please only go back to make minor changes that don't largely affect the next.

*** This is actually a maybe. If the project ends up popular enough, we can maybe let people coordinate more branches. Maybe even make a hub of all the "fixed" branches, idk.
Last edited by kevansevans on Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:58 am, edited 48 times in total.
leodoom85

Re: You Fix It! - Experimental Community Speed Mapping Proje

Post by leodoom85 »

I'll step up and "fix" the map. Gonna take a E1M3 approach without much detail.
Dewzanity
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Dewzanity »

Can I blindly claim fixing E4M4 as the E1M5 slot??? Is this an okay action??? I do feel it's one of the weakest Ultimate Doom maps. Then I send my fixed version to someone else eventually??? This is my only role for the project??? At least I can say that I did something though.
Last edited by Dewzanity on Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Dewzanity wrote:Can I blindly claim fixing E4M5 as the E1M5 slot??? Is this an okay action??? I do feel it's one of the weakest Ultimate Doom maps. Then I send my fixed version to someone else eventually??? This is my only role for the project??? At least I can say that I did something though.
As of now, the answer is no. I want to see a level set finished before we start tackling other maps. Otherwise we won't end up with a series of maps that progressively change like intended.
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

Got it! I think. So then I should wait to be the second to fix E1M2?
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Dewzanity wrote:Got it! I think. So then I should wait to be the second to fix E1M2?
Yes! I can slot you in for E1M4 if that’s what you would like. Once E1M3 is sent me me, I’ll send you that map to work on. If E1M3 doesn’t arrive on time, you’ll instead work on E1M2, filling in the E1M3 slot.
Dewzanity

Post by Dewzanity »

Got it! Cool beans! Gnarly! Righteous! I'll probably be planning ahead of time for what I want to do with E4M4 then.
Last edited by Dewzanity on Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

While I can't map at all, I could go ahead and make some videos for this little adventure. Trying out each update as they come out so people can compare the previous version to the new one. It's an interesting concept that I'm sure more people would like to know about.
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Doomguy914 wrote:I could go ahead and make some videos for this little adventure. Trying out each update as they come out so people can compare the previous version to the new one.
That’s a tremendous idea! Would love to see someone’s perspective on how the maps evolve!
kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Leo submits his entry! https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqiz5c6ap9txvkf/E1M3.wad?dl=0

Sending Dewzanity the wad!
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

I no like you Leo. :( I kid of course.
Spoiler:
Edit:
Spoiler:
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

You gotta be fast to get the secret key. If you found how, then GG.

Hint: the line activator is inside of another secret.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Oh, I found it alright... :evil:

Made a crappy little paint net title pic. Let me know if you think it's ok.

Edit: Almost finished with Episode 1. Corel Video Studio is a fickle program. :?
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Here you go, Kevan. Feel free to post this link where you want to attract mappers! :D

kevansevans
Spotlight Team

Post by kevansevans »

Doomguy914 wrote:Here you go, Kevan. Feel free to post this link where you want to attract mappers! :D
Spoiler:
This is adorable and I hecking love it

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”