Hellrider v0.9c - Swift Demon Killing! (28-04-21)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Hellrider v0.9a - Swift Demon Killing!

Post by Endie »

It is intentional

In Hellrider, you have 24 rounds on the mag +1, on the chamber, total being 25 rounds

But if you reload your gun after firing every round in it, including the round in the chamber, it will chamber one of the 24 rounds from the new mag manually
Hence why you also hear a slide release sound after reloading an empty SMG
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

ah so it's kind of an immersion/realistic touch? I always figured it was a bug or something people couldn't figure out. Thanks for the clarification!
EnriksD8

Post by EnriksD8 »

mamaluigisbagel wrote: I can't remember if I mentioned it, but the only thing thats bugged me about this mod, which multiple mods have done, (including Project Brutality) is some weapons, in this mod the SMG, will not get all its ammo back when you reload with no ammo. If you have 0 ammo and reload, you end up with 24, but if you reload with some ammo, it will go to 25. (So if you want full ammo from none, you have to reload twice) Is this just a limitation of coding I don't know of? Just curious since I see it so often in Doom mods.
That's how most guns IRL work, being able to hold an extra round in the chamber.

The only exceptions to this would be things like revolvers or open-bolt guns like the Uzi or M60 or AA-12.
mamaluigisbagel

well yes, but not having a lot of knowledge of guns irl and looking at it from a gameplay perspective, it can seem like an odd choice, but I don't mind it now that I know its an intentional realistic part of the mod.

EDIT: btw is there a way to fix the game freezing temporarily to kill scripts? I turned off the wall latch mobility option (I often activate it by accident and don't use it normally) and when I did, it would freeze at the start of each level, and then resume with a message saying "runaway script "spectrelatch" terminated"
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Taken from p_abilities, line 352:

Code: Select all

latched = CheckInventory("SpectreLatched"); //recheck

if(latched == 1)
			{

SetActorVelocity(0,0,0,0,0,0);

if(VectorLength(((stickx) - (GetActorX(0))) >> 16,((sticky) - (GetActorY(0))) >> 16) > 0)
				{

SetActorPosition(0,stickx,sticky,stickz,0);

}

TakeInventory("MobilityStamina",1);

}

Delay(1);

}

}
Should be

Code: Select all

latched = CheckInventory("SpectreLatched"); //recheck

if(latched == 1)
			{

SetActorVelocity(0,0,0,0,0,0);

if(VectorLength(((stickx) - (GetActorX(0))) >> 16,((sticky) - (GetActorY(0))) >> 16) > 0)
				{

SetActorPosition(0,stickx,sticky,stickz,0);

}

TakeInventory("MobilityStamina",1);

}

}
		Delay(1);
	}
As it is now, if jpm_enable_latch is false, the delay statement never gets executed, so the while loop hangs the virtual machine.
CSV6

Post by CSV6 »

Great mod, the sound design is incredible. All the guns sound so impactful and the arsenal consists of some of my favorite firearms.

Small note, the H&K G36C doesn't use 7.62x51, it uses 5.56x45. Just a small correction. Also the previous version used the AKM, any reason for changing it to the G36C?
Endie

Re: Hellrider v0.9c - Swift Demon Killing! (28-04-21)

Post by Endie »

Hellrider 0.9c is now live!

I've been working a lot on this, but like the big dummy I am, I forgot to make a changelog during the development. I'd love to list the new additions/tweaks to the last version, but I really can't remember. But most of the changes will be definitely noticeable, trust me

For the 'Highlight' of this update, I've changed the old wall latching function for something more agile, now you can wall run! In order to do so, it's pretty much like wall latching, except all you need to do is press the jump key and hold it down. Release to let it go from the wall. You can double jump after wall running, which gives you much more freedoom to break explore maps vertically.

Thanks to everyone who have been giving feedback, commenting, and supporting, I hope you all enjoy this update
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Dude YES!!! Those upgrades were killer good!
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Going to provide a bit of a strange suggestion: since it's a fictional firearm (as far as I could tell), make the Collalto fire 10mm Auto. Purely from a fluff standpoint, that cartridge fits a lot better and would make more sense mechanically - .357 Magnum in a double-stack magazine is not exactly reliable due to it being a rimmed cartridge. You wouldn't have to change any stats either; though 10mm has more muzzle energy than .357, the thing's enough of a handcannon already, and the Bren Ten has a 10-round magazine.

Also going to make a suggestion for the MK23: have an option to turn off the reticule when you ADS, it feels kinda weird having a reticule on top of perfectly usable irons.

On another note, the pickup message for the MP7 has a newline character in it that doesn't actually work ("You got the MP7 SMG, and it looks like it has infinite spare ammo /n nice!").
mamaluigisbagel

Loving the update so far, glad to see it come out! But one thing is bugging me massively. In this update, Slide was changed from a keybind to being activated by crouching while running forward. I crouch often to avoid hitscan enemies with cover, but also have always run turned on, so I often end up crouching and the second I try to move forward I end up sliding. I can understand why you changed it to be like that, but at least for me it seems too "sensitive." Maybe an option to turn crouch-activated sliding on or off, as well as an optional keybind for people that would rather do that?
Yebudoom

Post by Yebudoom »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:In this update, Slide was changed from a keybind to being activated by crouching while running forward. (...) Maybe an option to turn crouch-activated sliding on or off, as well as an optional keybind for people that would rather do that?
Indeed. And I think in the new update you can't slide backwards or to the sides anymore? That feature will be missed by many.

The rest is great as always.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Is the Pump GL supposed to kill anything it touches in one shot in 0.9c, main projectile or clusters? Legendary archviles and barons (triple their normal health, which I've noticed is 20% less than usual on Normal difficulty) get wrecked by a single direct hit. That's up to 2400 damage. From testing, it looks like an instant kill on anything that isn't a boss.
Endie

Post by Endie »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Loving the update so far, glad to see it come out! But one thing is bugging me massively. In this update, Slide was changed from a keybind to being activated by crouching while running forward. I crouch often to avoid hitscan enemies with cover, but also have always run turned on, so I often end up crouching and the second I try to move forward I end up sliding. I can understand why you changed it to be like that, but at least for me it seems too "sensitive." Maybe an option to turn crouch-activated sliding on or off, as well as an optional keybind for people that would rather do that?
Oh you can just press your run key if you have auto-run on, it will make the player not slide. I can't quite change the keybind since the crouch button is needed to actually lower the player hitbox, so you actually slide under low ceiling sectors or even under enemy projectiles
Zhs2 wrote:Is the Pump GL supposed to kill anything it touches in one shot in 0.9c, main projectile or clusters? Legendary archviles and barons (triple their normal health, which I've noticed is 20% less than usual on Normal difficulty) get wrecked by a single direct hit. That's up to 2400 damage. From testing, it looks like an instant kill on anything that isn't a boss.
Alright, I just tested and yes that's quite strange actually, it shouldn't be like that at all, I'll try to fix it and upload a new build soon, also fixing other things I found.
huanlopan

Post by huanlopan »

^Was that fixed?
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

@Endie

It's because you have the EXTREMEDEATH flag on the grenades and projectile of the grenades.

EXTREMEDEATH
This projectile or puff always gibs its victim.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”