Advice on Installing Win8.1 Graphics Driver on Win10 System

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
ReX

Advice on Installing Win8.1 Graphics Driver on Win10 System

Post by ReX »

I recently updated Win 10 to v20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) and immediately ran into problems with GZDooM. It turns out this is because:

1. intel, in its infinite wisdom, had decided that it would not offer OpenGL 3.3 support for older graphic chipsets
2. Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom. decided to replace the graphic drivers I previously had (and which f*ckin' worked just fine prior to the update) with some version it believes is better for me.

So, the advice I am being given is to reinstall the older drivers for Win 8.1. Not having a lot of experience with graphics drivers, I am asking the community for advice on the least-risky approach to doing this. I have visited the intel download center and have downloaded the older driver. I have also read through some of the intel forums [including this one) and found nothing on the risks of installing an older set of drivers.

My system specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM: 8 GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU: Intel HD 3000
Graphics Driver Version: 9.17.10.4459
Graphics Driver Date: 5/19/2016

I'd appreciate any suggestions and help. Thanks.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Advice on Installing Win8.1 Graphics Driver on Win10 Sys

Post by Hellser »

Windows 8.1 drivers should work just fine on Windows 10. If the installation fails, you could try a compatibility mode. But as I said, the older driver should work just fine with no issues.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Hellser wrote:Windows 8.1 drivers should work just fine on Windows 10. If the installation fails, you could try a compatibility mode. But as I said, the older driver should work just fine with no issues.
So, it sounds like I need to simply run the executable that I downloaded, correct?

Also, please explain: "If the installation fails, you could try a compatibility mode." Is that an option I have prior to or during the installation? [I did an internet search and came across a few general articles, including this one from Dell, but they didn't answer my compatibility mode question.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Most likely it will just work. The compatibility mode is set the same way as for any other executable with right click and then in the compatibility tab.
I had to use that for installing XP drivers on Win7 i believe.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Compatibility is in the Properties window after you right click on an executable. :)
ReX

Post by ReX »

drfrag wrote:Most likely it will just work.
It did, indeed, work. All is working as intended using the hot-fix version of GZDooM you had created from me last year.
drfrag wrote:The compatibility mode is set the same way as for any other executable with right click and then in the compatibility tab.
I had to use that for installing XP drivers on Win7 i believe.
Hellser wrote:Compatibility is in the Properties window after you right click on an executable. :)
D'uh! How could I have missed that. I have been applying Win8.1 compatibility mode to GZDooM.exe as I tried to get it to run on my nearly-obsolete computer.

At any rate, thank you both for your help.

Return to “Off-Topic”