Textures not loading in GZDoom

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
DBguy
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Textures not loading in GZDoom

Post by DBguy »

Hi everyone! I decided to start modding 2 weeks ago and thought classic Doom was perfect since I like it so much.

I'll go directly to the issue.

So I already made 2 maps, the first one is all good. Since its using all Doom 2 wad textures it works perfectly within the Ultimate Doom Builder when testing with GZDoom and directly opening with GZDoom.

The second map... I'll explain my steps the best I can.

1. I created a pk3 with all the new textures I've created so far.
2. I added the pk3 as resource alongside the Doom 2 wad as main resource.
3. It has worked well so far, I can select my own textures from the pk3 and they work perfectly when testing UDB with GZDoom. However, when I drag my Wad over GZDoom to open it directly. All textures used they just don't apply.

So, basically I'd like to know how to make it work. So far based on my research, it seems my Wad needs to have the textures added to it. I've done that but my guess is I'm not doing it correctly. Also, I'm new to participate in a forum, therefore I have no idea how to add screenshots. I can provide them if needed.
DBguy

Re: Textures not loading in GZDoom

Post by DBguy »

So, it's me who posted this but it seems that it has a different username as the owner? I'm new so I guess that's normal.

Anyways, I'll add some pictures to show my work and have some feedback as well as some guidance. Thank you to whoever decides to give me a hand.

So, when I open the WAD in Ultimate Doom Builder, I put the raging.pk3 as a resource alongside Doom 2 WAD. Its all good and dandy.

But when I open the Wad directly on GZDoom, it looks like this

Then I thought, " oh, that might be because the GZDOOM is not using the pk3, so I need to put the textures in the actual WAD " So I did, followed some basic tutorials on youtube the best I could since they are hard to find. However, now GZDOOM gives an error. As follows:

I would appreciate some help or insight, if there is a Discord o something like that, it would be dope. I'm not the type of person that asks about everything since I'm usually able to overcome obstacles during my learning process but sometimes like this I do require some assistance. Thanks again to whoever lends a hand.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DBguy wrote:So, it's me who posted this but it seems that it has a different username as the owner? I'm new so I guess that's normal.
You just forgot to log in the first time. I've corrected the post ownership now, though.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Looking at the texture definition, you have one opening brace and two closing braces. Thats not how it works. One opening brace, one closing brace. Also, you are outright defining name of texture, and not telling the engine whether it is a texture, patch or graphic. So, if you want to define textures, put in:

Code: Select all

texture "name", sizeX, sizeY {
patches, etc...
} <- only one closing brace for one opening brace.
example of working texture definition:

Texture "WLDSTR01", 64, 128
{
	Patch "HOLE01", 34, 74
	Patch "HOLE02", 7, 60
}
DBguy

Post by DBguy »

ramon.dexter wrote: example of working texture definition:

Texture "WLDSTR01", 64, 128
{
	Patch "HOLE01", 34, 74
	Patch "HOLE02", 7, 60
}
Hey Ramon ty for helping me , I'm new to this. The two closing brackets I have no idea why they are there, I just added the images to textures, it seems the program added the double closing bracket. I'll fix it right away.

As for defining the texture " patch, graphic " etc, could you explain me a bit more? I mean I see what I have to do, It seems the name between the quoting has to be different that the name of the picture? It's thats whats going on? Anyways I'll try and comeback if it doesnt work. Thanks again for helping me out and if you happen to know which tutorial I need to look for, that'll be dope, it's been hard to find certain tutorials on youtube.
DBguy

Post by DBguy »

So, after trying Ramon's steps, couldn't make it work. However, since Slade3 lets you create 3 types of textures file and I was always selecting ZDoom and having the texture loading error. I was like " hey, what if try the Doom option" just you know, to try. And voila. It worked.

Thank you for helping me out though!
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Also, if you doubleclick the textures file, you'll get full graphical editor.

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”