How to make Build games work with Raze

NightFright
Spotlight Team

How to make Build games work with Raze

Post by NightFright »

Here are instructions regarding how to get as many Build games working properly with Raze as possible.

PREPARATIONS:
In your Raze folder, create the following subdirectories (names can be different, but these fit best IMO):
- blood (this is where Blood and its associated files will go)
- data (for all other games)

CD MUSIC:
Download the following zipfiles and extract them into the designated Raze subdirs.
- Blood: blood_music.zip (92 MB) --> "blood"
- Death Wish CD Soundtrack (by Speedy): dw_music.zip (41 MB) --> Drag it onto raze.exe together with (and after) deathwish.zip, with Blood selected as main game
- Exhumed: exhumed_music.zip (75 MB) --> "data"
- Redneck Rampage/Route 66: redneck_music.zip (59 MB) --> "data"
- Redneck Rampage: Rides Again: rides_music.zip (36 MB) --> "data"
- Shadow Warrior: shadow_music.zip (65 MB) --> "data"

Blood:
- Copy all Blood files ("movies" subdir, blood.ini, *.rff, *.art, *.dat) into "blood"
- Intro movies (optional): Move gti.smk and logo.smk from "blood/movies" to "blood"
- CD music (optional): "CD Emulation" in sound settings must be turned on (game restart required)
- Cryptic Passage: Zip all files (movies/cryptic.smk, movies/cryptic.wav, cp*.map, cpart07.ar_, cpart15.ar_, cryptic.ini) to cryptic.zip and place it in "blood"
- Death Wish: Zip all relevant mod files (movies dir, dw.ini, dw*.map) to deathwish.zip and drag it onto raze.exe, with Blood selected as main game

Duke Nukem 3D:
- Atomic: Copy duke3d.grp into "data"
- World Tour: Existing Steam installation will be automatically detected. Otherwise copy the entire folder named "Duke Nukem 3D Twentieth Anniversary World Tour" from steamapps/common within your Steam installation dir to your Raze folder (you may rename it afterwards to e.g. "worldtour" and delete a few files if you like). Another option would be to turn the WT episode into a standalone mod
- Addons: Copy dukedc.grp, nwinter.grp, vacation.grp into "data" (SSI files also work)
- Duke It Out In D.C. Music Pack v2.0 (optional): Load dukedc_midi.pk3 (attached to this post) while playing the addon (can also be autoloaded via ini).
- Duke!Zone II: Download fixed release (v2.04 or newer), then copy dukezone2.grp + EITHER dukezone2.grpinfo (Atomic) OR dukezone2_wt.grpinfo (World Tour) into "data". Addon will appear at the bottom of Raze selection menu on startup. When using original release, copy duke!zon.grp, dz-game.con, dz-user.con and dz-defs.con into "data".

Exhumed:
Copy book.mov, demo.vcr and stuff.dat into "data"

NAM:
- DOS: Copy nam.grp and nam.con into "data"
- Steam: Copy nam.grp and game.con into "data", then rename game.con to nam.con

Redneck Rampage:
- Copy redneck.grp into "data"
- Route 66: Zip all relevant files to route66.zip (see details here) and place it in the same subdir
- Rides Again: Rename redneck.grp to rides.grp, then copy rides.grp and redint.mve into the same subdir

Shadow Warrior:
- Copy sw.grp into "data"
- Addons: Also copy td.grp/twindrag.grp and wt.grp/wantdest.grp into that subdir

WW2 GI:
- DOS: Copy ww2gi.grp and ww2gi.con into "data"
- Steam: Copy ww2gi.grp into "data" (con files are all integrated)
- Platoon Leader: Also copy platoonl.dat and platoonl.def into that subdir
Attachments
dukedc_midi.pk3
Duke It Out In D.C. Music Pack v2.0 (MIDI only)
(42.37 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Last edited by NightFright on Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:48 am, edited 40 times in total.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: How to make Build games work with Raze

Post by Graf Zahl »

Small addition. For Redneck Rides Again, the GRP I got was named 'redneck.grp', so if you want to put it into the same folder as RR, it has to be renamed. This game also has an intro movie called redint.mve. Don't forget that one!

Actually, with the exception of Blood and Duke World Tour you can easily put everything into one folder and don't have to separate by games.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Right. Will adjust that. How is it with music files, though? Can they be renamed as well to avoid conflicts (since I have multiple games where music is named trackXX)?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I added game specific names for all games that were previously missing them.

EXHUMEDxx.ogg for Exhumed/Powerslave
SHADOWxx.ogg for Shadow Warrior

TRACKxx is deprecated but of course still supported.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Outstanding. I have restructured the tutorial accordingly then, with a separate section on top for handling the soundtrack. Thanks a lot for the clearifications!

BTW: It would be even simpler if the "music" folder was supported from the root dir, so you wouldn't even have to place it in the same dir as the groupfiles. Like this you could even put the Blood tracks together with all the others.
LitterboxGremlin

Post by LitterboxGremlin »

I can't seem to get raze to recognize Route66. I have a zip containing the files called route66.zip, but something must be wrong.

I tried dumping all the files mentioned in the post into one folder and zipping it up. Then I tried renaming things like it says in the guide. Then I tried leaving the map files in a separate ROUTE66 folder. I'm not sure what raze is looking for.

EDIT: I got it working. Files have to be loose in the zip file, not inside a folder. I had zipped a folder named route66.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I have added some additional information to what file structure within the Route 66 zipfile should look like.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Thank you NightFright! Now I can finally uninstall the GOG and Steam copies of the base games and just use the "minimal files" approach by manually placing the bare essentials in my Raze games folder. :D
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The Route66 instructions are still a bit misleading. While most files should be in the root folder, the maps still have to be placed in thr Route66 subfolder.
The end result should look like this:

Code: Select all

ASYAMB.VOC
BUBBA66.CON
DEFS66.CON
END66.ANM
END66.VOC
GAME66.CON
GATOR66.CON
G_BITE.VOC
G_SIT.VOC
NEON.VOC
PIG66.CON
TILESA66.ART
TILESB66.ART
TURD66.ANM
TURD66.VOC
USER66.CON
ROUTE66\ALIEN.MAP
ROUTE66\BIGFOOT.MAP
ROUTE66\BREWERY.MAP
ROUTE66\CAMPY.MAP
ROUTE66\CARNIVAL.MAP
ROUTE66\COFFIN.MAP
ROUTE66\FLEA.MAP
ROUTE66\GAS.MAP
ROUTE66\HOOVRDAM.MAP
ROUTE66\MINIGOLF.MAP
ROUTE66\RANCH.MAP
ROUTE66\SLAUGHTR.MAP
ROUTE66\START.MAP
ROUTE66\TRUCKSTP.MAP
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Great! I will rather refer to your list in my guide than to that GOG-related one, then.
BTW: Are there any specific instructions how to get World Tour working including its OGG soundtrack?
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

NightFright wrote:BTW: Are there any specific instructions how to get World Tour working including its OGG soundtrack?
WT music should just play automatically. If you want original MIDI music with WT you actually have to go into the Sound Options and enable them:
Capture.JPG
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Nice. Does Raze just autodetect an existing WT Steam installation, then? If so: Is there also a way to get it working without Steam (just using the WT files from the installation dir)?
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Yeah, just make a directory within Raze's directory and it'll find it. You can have group files in any subfolder you like and you can have them named anything you like.

Below is DN3D 1.3D:
Capture.PNG
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

So basically you just copy over the entire WT folder from steamapps/common and that's it?
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Yeah, but you shouldn't need to. All of the games in my launcher there have been found via Steam. We do registry detections for Steam and GOG games.

Return to “General”