[WIP] Donas - Underwater facility (PSX like)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deadsylian
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[WIP] Donas - Underwater facility (PSX like)

Post by Deadsylian »

TLDR: An underwater facility (Donas) PSX-DooM ispired.
Something bad happened... You are alone, fight for your life.

HI, this is my first project that I want to post a project. It's a pretty simple map for now, I think the first of a small episode that takes place in the deep of an underwater facility.
It's inspired from the PSX-DOOM and I like the tone but there are a lot of stuff that can be improved. So before i want to start with the other levels I just wanted some feedback :)
(soz for my english XD)

Spoiler:

Download: DONAS VERSION: 0.1

IMP: the file is pretty big(8MB) for different reason: custom music / custom sounds and some texture not used because it's a starting project. Sorry for the inconveniency.
Deadsylian

Re: [WIP] Donas - Underwater facility (PSX like)

Post by Deadsylian »

GZDOOM only for now, sorry forgot to add
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I enjoyed this. It's dark and moody and presents a nice medium level of challenge and size. Supplies of ammo and health seemed about right - generous but not excessively so. I thought that the sounds, textures and music worked well. I also liked how the map was the right size to accommodate a bestiary of stock monsters without them feeling too limited. Overall, it was nicely balanced IMO. Is it seriously your first released project? It certainly plays like something from a mapper with more experience than that.

I mentioned that it is dark - and it is. However, I don't feel that it should be brightened, but the next time I play it I will probably do so with a flashlight mod of some sort which I feel would enhance the moodiness rather than detract from it.
Deadsylian

Post by Deadsylian »

Thanks for the feedback, it's not my first map but it's the first i want to publish :)
I have tried a lot of different style but i always end up with something too dispersive so i decide to do something 'small' and then espand it a little bit with other maps.
My idea is a small episode with like a few maps, not too many because it can be boring for the style and I want to try different things with the next maps in the same 'setting'
NecroPoster

Post by NecroPoster »

Honestly this is quite good. Even without custom textures, the atmosphere of the map really shines. I really did like the red/orange room arena at the end, especially the part where it lights up after the final switch. My only nitpick is that it can be a bit a bit dark during that fight, but I guess that's the point. Looking forward to more of this style.
Camper125Lv

Post by Camper125Lv »

Very cool level, I love it. Makes me want to make my own underwater level. Defenatly am interested in full release when it gonna come out.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Just gave this a run with Supercharge. Dark, as others have noted. Encounters were solid--like the other guy said, the big fight in the orange-lit room was nice, although I had a bit of trouble finding the last switch--maybe you could brighten the area in front of that switch when it opens, to draw the eye to it?

I'm a sucker for dark maps. I've always loved how stark the lighting can be in Doom, almost noir-esque, and it seems like few mappers truly take advantage of it; I loved the abandoned atmosphere in this level. It helps that Supercharge adds brightmaps to many enemies, which meant I was spraying lead at the glowing visors of zombie troopers from the (relative) safety of the hall I just cleared. I'm *also* a sucker for colored lighting, and you used colored lighting quite tastefully here. Aside from the one switch at the end, the whole level flowed well--I never got lost, and I never felt like I was being railroaded either. Overall, it's a solidly-designed level. Can't wait to see what you do next!

(Also, going small is definitely a good idea. I've had the same problem myself--I tend to dig myself a VERY big hole when I start a project, which is why I've released very few things. As I'm sure you noticed while building this level, deliberately keeping your work small makes it way easier both to finish it *and* to polish it.)

Return to “Levels”