Custom Menu Text

Ask about editing graphics, sounds, models, music, etc here!
Shaders (GLSL) and SNDINFO questions also go here!

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.
pine41

Custom Menu Text

Post by pine41 »

So really, what I'm trying to do is self-explanatory. I'm trying to change the text on the menu title screen. For example, I want to change the quit button to "Bye Bye" or something.
I'm mainly doing mods in .pk3, and I'm very new to modding. I'm just trying to experiment and change up some stuff. I know that in pk3s, some files have to be in specific folders, so if I'm changing the menu text, it would be greatly appreciated if I could be informed on whether or not the file that I will need should go into a specific directory inside the pk3 file. I tried doing research on this topic, however, I had trouble finding what I needed in the wiki, (cause I'm a beginner), and the only post I found on this topic, was more leaning towards the custom font side.

Anyways, I'm just trying to change the text on the title screen to something custom, like play to "Shoot things now!" and a detailed explanation, or guide on how to accomplish this would be very helpful. Thanks. :D
Mikk-

Re: Custom Menu Text

Post by Mikk- »

You can create new menu graphics with something like Doom Text Generator - you can give them the same name as the original graphics in the doom IWADS - If you're using a .pk3 file, the menu graphics will go in the /graphics folder.

All of the menu graphics are prefixed with M_, so for example the "Quit Game" graphic is named M_QUITG
Last edited by Mikk- on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pine41

Re: Custom Menu Text

Post by pine41 »

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Return to “Assets (and other stuff)”