Compiling on OS X Big Sur

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Compiling on OS X Big Sur

Post by Redneckerz »

I'd actually love to see how the M1 Mac does GZDoom in on stress maps, so im all eyes on any benchmarks :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

One quick test shows Frozen Time at 59 fps in 1980x1080 with the Vulkan backend. That's a really impressive result.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Does the SoftPoly renderer work on the M1 Mac?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I see no reason why it shouldn't. Of course it has no SSE support there. But what's the point anyway? It doesn't really have any advantage over Vulkan/OpenGL.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I am just asking since there was a report around a month ago or so claiming that SoftPoly crashes on macOS, not to mention the renderer crashing on Raspberry Pi 4 but otherwise working on the Cortex-A53 CPUs.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Find someone with the hardware and willingness to fix the crash. Or giveaway that hardware to someone who can (and want to) fix it. Otherwise, just wait.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'm almost fairly sure that if it can be fixed in Linux on the Raspberry Pi, the fix will work for Apple M1 too, if it's the same crash.

That being said, yeah it isn't the highest priority right now since OpenGL/Vulkan should be working with it. And I very much doubt someone is just going to "give away" a M1 macbook. (Though honestly I wouldn't mind having one :D)

What I find odd though, is that it doesn't crash in Windows on the same hardware, at least it didn't last I checked.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I don't know if it will fix the issue but Beloko mentioned this to me some time ago:
if using newer Clang compilers there is a VERY important flag you need to set for the compiler which fixes some alignment issues (The optimiser creates 'bad' 64bit load/save instructions, which when unaligned cause a trap)
Add this to compile flags: 
-mllvm -arm-assume-misaligned-load-store
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Does debug target crash? If not, it's more like our code needs to be fixed instead of enabling unaligned access.
Also, de-optimization should be done for particular code fragment but not for whole code base.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

So it's a Clang bug after all? I don't think I compiled GZDoom as a release build on my Amlogic S912 hardware so I will need to check the Softpoly renderer again both with GCC and Clang when I compile it as a release build.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Just for the record, if someone gives Rachael a M1I'll make sure helping her track down whatever unaligned store there is. ;)

The slightly cheaper approach is for someone to get the call stack for the crash and post it here. That will reveal what code is causing the crash and what buffer it is writing to when doing so.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I recently compiled GZDoom with Clang for ARM64 as a release build and successfully ran it with the SoftPoly backend and couldn't notice any crashes on my Amlogic S912. I am writing this off as a bug on ARM64 CPUs implementing revision 8.2 and later.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Graf Zahl wrote:Get it here: https://github.com/coelckers/ZMusic
It needs to be installed prior to compiling GZDoom.
Would it not be easier to register this as a git submodule in the gzdoom git project to clear up this confusion? It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch given that other ports are doing similar things for third-party libs.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Submodules are such a major nuisance that it's not a viable option.

Return to “Technical Issues”