Doom Exp

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Josko

Re: Doom Exp

Post by Josko »

A few problems I had with Doom Exp:

I noticed I ran out of ammo ALL THE TIME and was forced to go back to my trusty chainsaw even though I did buy some random ammo boxes.

Pistol and Chaingun shares the same ammo just like in vanilla doom and I think this is very bad. The pistol needs to have its own ammo pool so it is a weapon you can go back to when you are out of everything else. Maybe give it infinite ammo? Also would make dual pistol alot more useful/interesting!

So Pistol and Chaingun have their own separate ammo pools, aswell as Plasma and BFG too. I think the shotguns should get the same treatment, because when you use the supershotgun alot and go back to regular shotgun to kill a monster further away than the supershotgun can handle, then the regular shotgun usually has no ammo or next to no ammo left.

I like to think of Killing Floor, a game where regular shotgun and its supershotgun had their own ammo pools. So when you are out of supershotgun ammo, you can go back to the regular shotgun which won't make it so useless anymore. The supershotgun overshadows the regular shotty so much in my opinion.

The maximum Rank is still just 21 and you can get there VERY quickly. In just 5-6 levels. The limit should be increased to Rank 50, take longer to get to each Rank but also give a small positive buff for each rank, for example Rank 5 Pistols fire faster, Rank 10 Shotguns fire faster, Rank 15 All weapons does more damage Rank 20 Chaingun fires instantly without delay, etc. This makes it exctiting to get to new Ranks and not just to buy upgrades for EXP/Power modules.

Overall this mod is so much fun, I just love all the sounds, the level up sounds, when you kill an enemy they just flood you with stuff lol it's amazing, even the vanilla guns are just alot more fun to use and refreshing. This is truly something special!
Officer D
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Officer D »

Josko wrote: I noticed I ran out of ammo ALL THE TIME and was forced to go back to my trusty chainsaw even though I did buy some random ammo boxes.
What the hell? I'm literally including features that give the player less ammo, since it's almost impossible for me to run out of ammo and I play with no ammo/health spawns on maps. :shock:
Josko wrote:Pistol and Chaingun shares the same ammo just like in vanilla doom and I think this is very bad. The pistol needs to have its own ammo pool so it is a weapon you can go back to when you are out of everything else. Maybe give it infinite ammo? Also would make dual pistol alot more useful/interesting! So Pistol and Chaingun have their own separate ammo pools,
It would make sense since they are a different caliber. I'll see if I can implement that for future updates. But giving the pistol infinite ammo doesn't seem to be a good idea, once that thing is fully upgraded with dual pistols, I feel that would be gamebreaking.
Josko wrote:aswell as Plasma and BFG too. I think the shotguns should get the same treatment, because when you use the supershotgun alot and go back to regular shotgun to kill a monster further away than the supershotgun can handle, then the regular shotgun usually has no ammo or next to no ammo left.
Maybe for the BFG but I think the shotguns should still use the same ammo type. And I have no clue how you are running out of ammo. Do you utilize glory kills and do you have "Monsters drop loot" on?
Josko wrote:The supershotgun overshadows the regular shotty so much in my opinion.

I find myself always using the normal shotgun tbh. The burst fire is just so good. You seem to have a very different playstyle than me. Do you have any playthough video on YouTube I can check out?
Josko wrote:The maximum Rank is still just 21 and you can get there VERY quickly. In just 5-6 levels. The limit should be increased to Rank 50,

I know, and have been wanting to do increase the ranks for a while already. I've been a bit lazy and focusing on other things. I'd recommend turning XP giver to "Low" when you rank up too fast.
Josko wrote:also give a small positive buff for each rank, for example Rank 5 Pistols fire faster, Rank 10 Shotguns fire faster, Rank 15 All weapons does more damage Rank 20 Chaingun fires instantly without delay, etc. This makes it exctiting to get to new Ranks and not just to buy upgrades for EXP/Power modules.
That's how the older versions were already. But it wasn't that good tbh. It will only make the progression always be the same. Giving the player the choice to upgrade his weapons/powers individually is much better. Some people actually don't want those type of upgrades and forcing them on them is not what I want to do.
Josko wrote:Overall this mod is so much fun, I just love all the sounds, the level up sounds, when you kill an enemy they just flood you with stuff lol it's amazing, even the vanilla guns are just alot more fun to use and refreshing. This is truly something special!

Thank you! I'm glad you like it and thank you for the feedback, it is always appreciated and helps improve the mod a lot :wink:
Josko

Post by Josko »

I agree that the pistol shouldnt have infinate ammo and shotguns can share their ammo pool, that is fine. But if Chaingun and BFG gets their own ammo pool that will kick ass!

I just noticed a bug I think, You can drop your fists lol but you cant drop Chainsaw! Should be the otherway around :P

Also noticed the fire ball attack from Arch-vile is pretty op, even with fire armor it does huge damage and usually kills the player right away aswell as being a really fast projectile!

And no I dont use glory kills, I just use the normal weapons. The burst fire on the normal shotgun is great, but I just love the supershotty :D

I did turn XP giver to low and that did the trick indeed! Now it's much better! But when you do add higher Ranks it will surely be alot more awesome, altough the Ranks themselves dosn't do anything anymore.
That's how the older versions were already. But it wasn't that good tbh. It will only make the progression always be the same. Giving the player the choice to upgrade his weapons/powers individually is much better. Some people actually don't want those type of upgrades and forcing them on them is not what I want to do.
That's funny, because I feel like the Ranks currently dosn't do anything and they don't, it's just a cosmetic thing. When you get to higher ranks the rank icon changes to more bigger and cooler rank icons, and it feels badass, hell it is badass! But I still think some Rank levels should give a positive buff, otherwise I feel the rank system dosn't do anything except for just showing what rank you are.

The rank system is basicly like Levels, the higher level you are the stronger you should be. Maybe certain upgrades should be locked behind a certain rank level instead of power nodes? It would make getting to higher ranks alot more meaningful than it is now.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

Josko wrote:That's funny, because I feel like the Ranks currently dosn't do anything and they don't, it's just a cosmetic thing. When you get to higher ranks the rank icon changes to more bigger and cooler rank icons, and it feels badass, hell it is badass! But I still think some Rank levels should give a positive buff, otherwise I feel the rank system dosn't do anything except for just showing what rank you are.

The rank system is basicly like Levels, the higher level you are the stronger you should be. Maybe certain upgrades should be locked behind a certain rank level instead of power nodes? It would make getting to higher ranks alot more meaningful than it is now.
Well, the Idea of the ranks is giving power nodes so you can upgrate your abilities, and the higher the rank you get, you receibe more nodes. Its kinda cool how can you make progresion with that and maybe could be better in that way. Even if you can get extra nodes for other sources, most of the time the system makes you think about waiting for a certain upgrate or use your Exp for an emergency powerup.

If you feel that is not good enought the rank system, I think you have some extra options to made it interesting (if Im not mistaken because I didn't played this mod on some time :wink: ):
- Along with the EXP settings, you can also customize the power nodes you receive per rank to low or high. Depending of what kind of maps you're playing also is useful for balance
- Also, there's a setting that gives a huge HP boost to enemies once you get to certain ranks, making the gameplay more difficult when you reach higher levels. Makes the game challenging at least.
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

Question. Doom Exp is compatible with Corruption Cards?
Josko

Post by Josko »

Someonewhoplaysdoom wrote:Question. Doom Exp is compatible with Corruption Cards?
Yes! Corruption Cards it compatible with any mod really.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

How do you use Shoulder cannon?

I bought her update, I already configured the key in the settings but I can't use this weapon, is it a bug?

Do I use the lite version?

I even tested the cheat of all weapons to see if it was a mistake, but it doesn’t show up anyway.
Officer D

Post by Officer D »

That only happens when you use cheats. But you can type 'give flameon 1' into the console and it should work again.

Here is a little Dev Build update for anyone who is interested.

Download pre 2.5

Code: Select all

Changelog:

- Pistol start exits reset health back to 100.
- Archvile buffed. More HP and an alternate attack added.
- No Ammo/Health spawns option added. (Disables Healthbonus, Armorbonus, Medikit, Stimpack and all ammo types spawns)
- Bug fixed with ammo drops from poop not giving ammo.
- No Ammo/Health spawns option "On", also reduces weapon drop chance for monsters.
- All rocket types and BFG projectile spawn floor decals when impacting on floors.
- Chainsaw goes into normal (non fire) mode when you run out of fuel.
- Chainsaw drains fuel slightly faster on use.
- Crosshair bug fix on Rocketlauncher.
- Combo and domination rewards added.
- Extra Life deaths punishments added (-5 Power Nodes and -5k XP)
- Dismembered arachnotron head moves around on floor.
- Dismenbered pinky head is shootable now and does a animation similar to the barons head.
- Made Doom Exp compatible with the gearbox mini mod. GZDoom 4.5 required
- Killer Instinct announcer added.
- Massacre added for killing lots of monsters at once.
- TimeFreeze power up now initiates creepy FEAR ambiance when active. 
- Improved visibility on bright backgrounds for the ability icons and power node icon.
- Hud icons (except rank and PN + XP) no longer get displayed on the map screen.
- Rewards are now logged in console so players can read them after they disappear from Hud.
- Not being able to die with extra life mode disabled fixed.
- Resurrect blast spawns floor decal now. 
- You no longer get extra life award messages when extra life mode is disabled.
- HyperFragon25 announcer added to the announcer selections.🦊 
- Pistol start enabled takes away all armor on next map.
- Baron of Hell jump attack added.
- Pistol starts enabled will give the player a chainsaw with 50 fuel on start.
- HyperFragon25 announcer pack updated.
- Marauder additional death sprite added.
- Fists can no longer be dropped.
- Chaingun pulse rounds primary consumes 2 bullets per shot and does more damage.
- BFG now has it's own ammo type.
- BFG ammo has a rare chance to replace a cell pack.
- Completionist lootboxes have a higher chance of dropping BFG ammo.
- Fuel orb added.
- BFG or Fuel orb drop chance added to the store.
- Buy BFG core added to store.
- Increase ammo capacity adds +1 to the BFG capacity.
- Ranks go up to 60 now with new icons.
- Cleaned up some spaghetti code.
- XP and PN overlays on top of store screen.
- Dash indicator can be disabled in Exp Hud Settings.
- Marauder's long distance dash attack now does a flying kick.
- Punch wall effects added.
- Auto Shotgun selection added to option menu.
- Buy menu reopens after purchasing something from the store.
- Hardcore Mode difficulty added (Only works on GZDoom 4.5 or newer).
- Fixed recharge sound for blade wave with glorypoints.
- Overlord spawns lost souls instead of those annoying exploding entities.
- Cleaned up the monster death script handler. From 1000 lines of code to only 400 with the same effect.
- Hardcore mode makes monsters do 50% more damage now. 
- Ability indicator On/Off switch added to Doom Exp HUD Settings.
- Fullscreen HUD Health and Ammo indicators display above 999 now.
- Polished argent blade sprite and brightmaps.
- Lowered scale on berserk indicator and moved slightly.
- Summoned stores will set a marker on the automap.
- Ammo capacity and health upgrade menu rearranged.
- Cryobow added.
- Cryobow altfire updated:
Light Blue = Stronger Frost Blast
Yellow = Armor Drop Fire Blast
Purple = Stunlock Blast
Red = Smaller Mini Nuke.
- Slightly increased chances of medikit spawning lootbox and lootbox containing cryobow.
- Buying weapon box from store can also contain cryobow.
- Healthbonus, Soulsphere and megasphere heal beyond 200 now.
- PyroDemon has no more fire walk effect. PyroDemon and ArchonOfHell now emit embers.
- Scope keybind added.
- Major lag issue fixed with quad damage power up spawning thousands of actors, due to a loop state.
- Death penalties can individually be disabled now. Lose PN or XP on death.
PokeParty445
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by PokeParty445 »

Pretty good mod! Really well made and lots of fun. My only complaint is more on the technical side. Please add keysections to the binds. When you don't it makes the bindings stay across mods, and with this mod having so many bindings it can be annoying. I can do this myself fine and all, but it's just a quality of life change, really.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Officer D wrote:That only happens when you use cheats. But you can type 'give flameon 1' into the console and it should work again.
Thanks for the tip.

I will see if a new game normally works in the Sholder Cannon.

The essentials I forgot to ask: For Cannon to work I need to buy the updgrade or find it during the game?
Officer D

Post by Officer D »

Doctrine Gamer wrote: The essentials I forgot to ask: For Cannon to work I need to buy the updgrade or find it during the game?
It becomes usable once you buy it from the store.
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Officer D wrote:
Doctrine Gamer wrote: The essentials I forgot to ask: For Cannon to work I need to buy the updgrade or find it during the game?
It becomes usable once you buy it from the store.
Thanks! :thumb:
Officer D

Post by Officer D »

-----------[Version 2.5 Trailer]-----------

Embrace Doom Exp 2.5! Many improvements added to increase the awesomeness. Now with the all new Cryobow that you can transform into a high powered ballista.

Cryobow specifics:

Primary fire = Frost bolt
Alternative fire = Charge bolts. The more you charge the more bolts get added. Highest charge is similar to the mini nuke but with a lower blast radius and doesn't hurt the player.

Cryobow store upgrades:

Cluster bomb = Frost bolt that can bounce off of walls and has a frost cluster explosion on impact.
High powered ballista = Two argent powered bolts. It also converts your frost cluster bolt into a cluster explosion bolt.

Code: Select all

Changelog:

- Pistol start exits reset health back to 100.
- Archvile buffed. More HP and an alternate attack added.
- No Ammo/Health spawns option added. (Disables Healthbonus, Armorbonus, Medikit, Stimpack and all ammo types spawns)
- Bug fixed with ammo drops from poop not giving ammo.
- No Ammo/Health spawns option "On", also reduces weapon drop chance for monsters.
- All rocket types and BFG projectile spawn floor decals when impacting on floors.
- Chainsaw goes into normal (non fire) mode when you run out of fuel.
- Chainsaw drains fuel slightly faster on use.
- Crosshair bug fix on Rocketlauncher.
- Combo and domination rewards added.
- Extra Life deaths punishments added (-5 Power Nodes and -5k XP)
- Dismembered arachnotron head moves around on floor.
- Dismenbered pinky head is shootable now and does a animation similar to the barons head.
- Made Doom Exp compatible with the gearbox mini mod. GZDoom 4.5 required
- Killer Instinct announcer added.
- Massacre added for killing lots of monsters at once.
- TimeFreeze power up now initiates creepy FEAR ambiance when active.
- Improved visibility on bright backgrounds for the ability icons and power node icon.
- Hud icons (except rank and PN + XP) no longer get displayed on the map screen.
- Rewards are now logged in console so players can read them after they disappear from Hud.
- Not being able to die with extra life mode disabled fixed.
- Resurrect blast spawns floor decal now.
- You no longer get extra life award messages when extra life mode is disabled.
- HyperFragon25 announcer added to the announcer selections.🦊
- Pistol start enabled takes away all armor on next map.
- Baron of Hell jump attack added.
- Pistol starts enabled will give the player a chainsaw with 50 fuel on start.
- HyperFragon25 announcer pack updated.
- Marauder additional death sprite added.
- Fists can no longer be dropped.
- Chaingun pulse rounds primary consumes 2 bullets per shot and does more damage.
- BFG now has it's own ammo type.
- BFG ammo has a rare chance to replace a cell pack.
- Completionist lootboxes have a higher chance of dropping BFG ammo.
- Fuel orb added.
- BFG or Fuel orb drop chance added to the store.
- Buy BFG core added to store.
- Increase ammo capacity adds +1 to the BFG capacity.
- Ranks go up to 60 now with new icons.
- Cleaned up some spaghetti code.
- XP and PN overlays on top of store screen.
- Dash indicator can be disabled in Exp Hud Settings.
- Marauder's long distance dash attack now does a flying kick.
- Punch wall effects added.
- Auto Shotgun selection added to option menu.
- Buy menu reopens after purchasing something from the store.
- Hardcore Mode difficulty added (Only works on GZDoom 4.5 or newer).
- Fixed recharge sound for blade wave with glorypoints.
- Overlord spawns lost souls instead of those annoying exploding entities.
- Cleaned up the monster death script handler. From 1000 lines of code to only 400 with the same effect.
- Hardcore mode makes monsters do 50% more damage now.
- Ability indicator On/Off switch added to Doom Exp HUD Settings.
- Fullscreen HUD Health and Ammo indicators display above 999 now.
- Polished argent blade sprite and brightmaps.
- Lowered scale on berserk indicator and moved slightly.
- Summoned stores will set a marker on the automap.
- Ammo capacity and health upgrade menu rearranged.
- Cryobow added.
- Slightly increased chances of medikit spawning lootbox and lootbox containing cryobow.
- Buying weapon box from store can also contain cryobow.
- Healthbonus, Soulsphere and megasphere heal beyond 200 now.
- PyroDemon has no more fire walk effect. PyroDemon and ArchonOfHell now emit embers.
- Scope keybind added.
- Major lag issue fixed with quad damage power up spawning thousands of actors, due to a loop state.
- Death penalties can individually be disabled now. Lose PN or XP on death.
- Buy menu rearranged for better clarity.
- Low Ammo & Health sounds by HF25 added.
- Item bug fixed where Power Node containers would be counted as items.
- Painelemental, Enhanced & -Cacodemons can swallow grenades and blow up.
- Archvile projectile attack and Baron jump attack can be disabled in monster management.
- Crucible mechanic update. You can now hold down fire to swing back the sword and hold it in it's swung back state. Upon release you perform the attack.
- Store randomly emits funny arcade sounds.

Feel free to join our discord server for exclusive info or to share your thoughts and suggestions. Also get early access to development builds of the mod.
Officer D

Post by Officer D »

-----------[Version 2.5 Release]-----------

-----------------[Download]-----------------

Additional changes added to the changelog on previous post and also page 1 updated.
Malachai13
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Malachai13 »

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here, been getting into your mod, but it seems to keep crashing a few minutes into the game (playing Doom 1), is there a specific issue with OG doom?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”