Hellrider v0.9c - Swift Demon Killing! (28-04-21)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bochulain
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Hellrider v0.9a - Swift Demon Killing!

Post by Bochulain »

Oh that reminds me that I forgot to gush about the sound design. The choice to add the miles-distant-echo of each bullet sounds so awesome. It makes no sense for indoor maps, but it sounds SO good that I'm glad it's there. I love the backpack-full-of-bullets sound when you fall from a distance instead of "oof," and I love that you changed to oof sounds from the "whoops" sounding exclamations to the "ouch-I've-been-shot" sounding type.

I get a kick out of the new visuals too. An odd effect of the new tech-lamps that you have is that mapsets that change the graphic for it retain the light source, which in one map gave a bunch of burning clay pots a Will-o'-wisp floating above them. The animation for reloading the Eagle when empty is cool, and I love the practiced way Rachael reloads the Socom and the rifle.

Bunch of questions that don't bother me, but I'm interested about: What's with the mask? Is it just the Jason Vorhees look, or does it represent something? I just felt it seemed a little out of place with the casual-wear outfit she's got on. Like, if we want to avoid showing a face, a balaclava or something might be more appropriate. I *like* the casual outfit, but it's weird too. With that mask maybe some kind of sci-fi armor would look more appropriate. On that note, is she a Doomguy style space marine, a Samus Aran style freelancer, a Caleb style psychopath (would explain the mask), or maybe some kind of occultist who's just really versed in military grade weaponry? I see the third person view of her is female space marine, but I'm not sure if that's just a placeholder/"don't-care-this-is-one-player-anyway" type of thing.

I did run into one bug that doesn't matter though; it seems no matter how far away I am from an explosive barrel, if I shoot it, I see particles as though I had been hit by the explosion. No damage or "oof," but particles.
Krigeris

Post by Krigeris »

I've got no hud when using your mod, tried messing around with the HUD scale to no luck.

Anyone got suggestions? Alternatively, I don't mind removing the mod's HUD if that's a temporary solution I just need to know which files to pluck from the pk3
MissAnthrope

Post by MissAnthrope »

Krigeris wrote:I've got no hud when using your mod, tried messing around with the HUD scale to no luck.

Anyone got suggestions? Alternatively, I don't mind removing the mod's HUD if that's a temporary solution I just need to know which files to pluck from the pk3
Hey there! I made an account JUST to post this, but I couldn't get the HUD to show up either. I use GZDoom first off, so what I did to fix this was go into Options -> Full Options Menu -> HUD Options -> Alternate HUD. I turned on the Alternate hud, and pressed the HUD zoom in key until I could see the alternate hud. You might have to zoom in and out a couple of times, but it was one "tick" one way or the other.

Hope it helps :)
YeeTee2

Post by YeeTee2 »

Question: Power Fantasy?
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

YeeTee2 wrote:Question: Power Fantasy?
Kinda. The mod is still well balanced, but if you play well enough/careful enough you could finish an entire map taking very minimal-no damage. If you go full guns blazing, you will take a lot more damage, but also deal a lot more.
YeeTee2

Post by YeeTee2 »

thedeathrunner123 wrote:If you go full guns blazing, you will take a lot more damage, but also deal a lot more.
I like the sound of that
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

One thing I will say, the Slide is okay for movement (could be either slightly faster or slightly longer). It is horrendous for damage though, doing only about 10-15 per slide. 3 slides needed to kill even a basic imp. The axes range makes it kinda unwieldy in tense situations as well.
Rodman909

Post by Rodman909 »

It doesn't feel that way to me, but maybe that's because I'm playing it with Brutal Doom Monsters Only.
HLS

Post by HLS »

will you fix the "Hellrider 0.9a.pk3:zscript.txt" line 87: Call to unknown function 'A_OverlayRotate' error on LZdoom?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

HLS wrote:will you fix the "Hellrider 0.9a.pk3:zscript.txt" line 87: Call to unknown function 'A_OverlayRotate' error on LZdoom?
LZDoom itself needs to fix it - A_OverlayRotate is a feature not yet supported by LZDoom.
doomos

Post by doomos »

This is definitely one of my most favorite mods; I have an especially nice experience to play it with Master Levels for Doom 2.

I like the weapons, the mechanics, the swiftness. Thank you !
huanlopan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by huanlopan »

Been playing for a few days with the latest, and man you fixed the minigun muzzleflash issue. Hot damn. This is really becoming a favorite gameplay mod of mine. Any chance of racking rounds into the chamber reloads sometime? Really digging this all over again since I last played.
kalensar
Operating System Version (Optional): linux mint 21
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by kalensar »

Hey Endie, my monster mod called Doom THoTH works really well for Hellrider. GIve it a try cuz the monsters are as mobile as your main character.
Endie
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Endie »

Oh boy, it's been a while since I last checked this thread. Still, thank you all for the great feedback and kind words, really appreciated!
The next update will arrive pretty soon, I however want some testing phase before I release it to the public.

Now, let me reply to some of the posts here

Bochulain wrote:Oh that reminds me that I forgot to gush about the sound design. The choice to add the miles-distant-echo of each bullet sounds so awesome. It makes no sense for indoor maps, but it sounds SO good that I'm glad it's there. I love the backpack-full-of-bullets sound when you fall from a distance instead of "oof," and I love that you changed to oof sounds from the "whoops" sounding exclamations to the "ouch-I've-been-shot" sounding type.
Thanks! I'm glad, and I also have news regarding the sound design too. It's nothing much but now when reloading your gun there will also be an extra "oomph" added to it
Bochulain wrote:I get a kick out of the new visuals too. An odd effect of the new tech-lamps that you have is that mapsets that change the graphic for it retain the light source, which in one map gave a bunch of burning clay pots a Will-o'-wisp floating above them. The animation for reloading the Eagle when empty is cool, and I love the practiced way Rachael reloads the Socom and the rifle.
Ohh about that, yeah I have something else on store for these animations, in fact I uploaded a preview not long ago

Bochulain wrote:Bunch of questions that don't bother me, but I'm interested about: What's with the mask? Is it just the Jason Vorhees look, or does it represent something? I just felt it seemed a little out of place with the casual-wear outfit she's got on. Like, if we want to avoid showing a face, a balaclava or something might be more appropriate. I *like* the casual outfit, but it's weird too. With that mask maybe some kind of sci-fi armor would look more appropriate. On that note, is she a Doomguy style space marine, a Samus Aran style freelancer, a Caleb style psychopath (would explain the mask), or maybe some kind of occultist who's just really versed in military grade weaponry? I see the third person view of her is female space marine, but I'm not sure if that's just a placeholder/"don't-care-this-is-one-player-anyway" type of thing.
The mask... that's a rather easy thing to explain, actually. It works as a protective gear of sorts, however I didn't want a full helmet, and I too wanted to conceal her identity so the mask was the best choice I had back then
As for, what she is exactly is also really easy to explain even though I didn't really wrote a full fledged lore to her. Basically, she is a Bounty hunter, a very very skilled one who happens to have some anger issues but nothing major. I've been holding and polishing the next version of Hellrider for quite a while now, but in the next update she will have her own player sprites too, I've been working for a while on them
Bochulain wrote:I did run into one bug that doesn't matter though; it seems no matter how far away I am from an explosive barrel, if I shoot it, I see particles as though I had been hit by the explosion. No damage or "oof," but particles.
I couldn't quite replicate this on my end. Maybe you're being hit by the smoke spawners that happens to be hitscan attacks, but they all should "stop" at a certain radius, weird.

Not quite. I mean, yes you have a crazy powerful arsenal on your hands and also some swift movement, but still if you get too careless, you will die, so the answer to that is more on the way you play it than in the mod itself. (ps. Then again, try some monster packs with it)

huanlopan wrote:Been playing for a few days with the latest, and man you fixed the minigun muzzleflash issue. Hot damn. This is really becoming a favorite gameplay mod of mine. Any chance of racking rounds into the chamber reloads sometime? Really digging this all over again since I last played.
Those are on their way, actually. Like in the video I posted above, it is already implemented on the MK23
Also on the Remington 870, on the MP7 (it's subtle though) and on the Sniper rifle. I plan to add it for other weapons but since those require a new set of animations I'll do it on later updates

kalensar wrote:Hey Endie, my monster mod called Doom THoTH works really well for Hellrider. GIve it a try cuz the monsters are as mobile as your main character.
I'll give it a shot, thanks!
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Great to hear you're still working on this! Though now I want to halt my playthrough of Alien Vendetta using Hellrider so I can switch to the new version when it comes out... :P

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but the only thing thats bugged me about this mod, which multiple mods have done, (including Project Brutality) is some weapons, in this mod the SMG, will not get all its ammo back when you reload with no ammo. If you have 0 ammo and reload, you end up with 24, but if you reload with some ammo, it will go to 25. (So if you want full ammo from none, you have to reload twice) Is this just a limitation of coding I don't know of? Just curious since I see it so often in Doom mods.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”