Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doomguy914

Re: Bitter Heretic: Melee combat emphasise

Post by Doomguy914 »

Sorry, I'm afraid that information is beyond me. I never played table tops like DND before so I hardly even know how damage rolls work on damage randomization in Doom and its mods. Otherwise I would definitely help out in that regard.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Colerx wrote:yes my bad.. that sound was caused from another mod I wanted to add (the gearbox weapon wheel), removing it fixed the clicking sound.
Fixed in Gearbox devbuild.
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

m8f wrote:
Colerx wrote:yes my bad.. that sound was caused from another mod I wanted to add (the gearbox weapon wheel), removing it fixed the clicking sound.
Fixed in Gearbox devbuild.
Thanks and excellent work!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Uploaded :

I fix the barrel or fungus ball lifting (or dropping rather) bug
I increase zombie speed 30% - that enough to make impact, and they don’t look ridiculous.
Ironlich no flying
ironlich less repeal
warrior gib sound
hammer hit sounds fix
warrior sprites - death animation - its not cut on legs. the sprite sequence is better (smoother), more often collapse facing player than turning 180 degree.
warrior sprites - legs when blocking - fix somwhat isometry, its no longer lifting leg up when blocking with shield.

warrior sprites - legs - fix isometry (attack) - direction 1 and 4 are ok, 2,3,5,6,7,8 correct back leg height
sword shouldnt damage ghosts
redurce gauntlets punch damage - they are still useful because pain lock, and save gauntlets "ammo"
warriors are spawn in pairs
Running or Attack should stop regenerating HP for few seconds. This would be good enough instead making Fatigue bars, and Food as hp source would be more viable.

add dynamic lights to map decorations.
block dont shatter ice corpse

-----------------todo------

warrior more death angles - Tyr asked for recolor, then drawn corpses

make list of weapons to nerf.

------------wishes----

convert sold soul monsters - serpent, wyvern, cultist - add ice poison fire death, stun from block. DeathKnight already works (or is it Ghost Knight conversion?).

more monsters [what to replace?] :
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lagi on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:54 am, edited 15 times in total.
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

Nice progress Lagi
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

The pick up fix and the increased zombie speed already made this a lot better. Great job! I have a few more ideas that I think you either already thought about or will like. :D

Torches: There's usually a large number of these on the map and you are limited to 5. I think it would be a good idea to make them burnout gradually when held by the player, thrown on the ground, or used as an attack. I already found one other drawback of using them accidentally.
Spoiler:
Undead warrior Axes: Now this one sounds very complicated, but degradation would be a great added feature. Also setting the total amount to 2 or 3 so you don't just have a surplus to lob when you want to. Would make finding axes a huge boon rather than just another to add to the collection.

Elven Wand: While super charging the wand to emit a bright light at the cost of 1 whole jewel sounds awesome, it really kind of takes away the point when one shot gets rid of the light benefit. If a jewel is overcharged would it be possible to make the light effect last until the current jewel runs out, or gets really low on power?

Golem replacements(Paladins I think they are called.): They have a very odd habit of lowering their shield and taunting the player, which even on Defiler difficulty makes them go down in 1 or 2 hits. If possible I think a better way to make them more intimidating would be if they had a chance to stun you for a few seconds and potentially leave you open to an attack if you hit them while they raise their shields. Probably very difficult to implement, but would be awesome. Same goes for if an enemy attacks you and you parry and then leave them in a vulnerable state.

Lighting: I don't know if you have any plans for making more light sources aside from the player held or thrown torches, but I think it would add a lot of atmosphere if braziers and other map elements emitted a light source as well. Perhaps brighter weapon projectiles or something idk. Just spit ballin' ideas and seeing if any of them stick.

I think it's already very enjoyable so far.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

brutal hexen has torch ammo - and this make little sens. It was just another UI element that annoy. or create artificial pressure (i need be quick in this dark room).
i make 5 torch ammo, cause the idea was you can use it like a flare. Throw somewhere and light up enemies on not reachable place.
you know, you dont need to collect torches at all, if you dont need light - or fire damage type.

hmm... fire damage is useful to hurt Ghost enemies... maybe someone else could be susceptible to fire?

Axe are nerfed damage wise, and dont have auto-aim in melee feature, to inclline player to use them as throw able weapon. So my intention was exactly that " lob them when you want to".
Axes also suppose to copy the feeling of picking up shotgun from Doom Sergeant.

elven wand - the light behavior is buggy, i just dont come back to this code ever after i wrote it. You are right, i will improve it as you said.

They call them Warriors in Myth the Fallen Lords. Maybe more unique would be Men-at-Arms? palatinus is a guy who look over castle Me-think. story wise those guys are remains of 7th legions.
they suppose to be easy to kill. Tier1. No one like centaurs from hexen.
cool idea with being block stun by "foot knights". code wise its doable. But what exactly stun for player suppose to do? stop him in place for 3 sec ? its equal to instant death. I think this might be annoying feature.

sure more light sources good idea. I will do it. I think extra dynamic light sources on some big maps could affect the performance a LOT. On the other hand, poor kids in asian countries playing Bitter Heretic on their family hand phones - screw them! HA HA get rich :D

thank You. Nice ideas.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Damn. Now I just feel bad for the people who have potato computers. My condolences. I used to barely be able to run GZDoom. Press F.

Ah, I see those Warriors of the Fallen Lords are more fodder type.

As for the stun idea, you're probably right about it being a bit too much for most to handle. Maybe instead of a stun on the player it can be a knockback. If that's doable without affecting the amount of damage dealt.

As for the light idea, I think that just comes from me loving Dark Doom too much. The moodier atmosphere the better imo.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

I will do the lights on map decorations.

Im on the fence with knockback idea. Currently Warrior work good. I think i rather spent my efford on creating new death animation for him.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

There is dynamic lights for decoration:
wall torch, serpent candle stand, brazier (gizmo sculpture with fireplace on back), and chandelier (candle in ceilint), and volcano.

Gold wand lights logic is improved - i hope. Reload dont consume crystal, but 25-50% of charge in crystal. Light stay till you not empty the crystal (or change weapon).
[ wand is flickering when its low on ammo, i try to do the dynamic light flickering too, but I get epilepsy from turning light ON OFF every second, so its constant light]

@Doomguy914: i try DarkDoom, but its just pitch dark for me, not sure what is the appealing. Indeed - light source are critical to even play then. And wand of gauntlets are most useful weapons, because otherwise you just see black screen (and red when you get hit).
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

Nice work Lagi!
A little question, does the torch exist as standalone addon for Hexen?
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Dark Doom has a lot of customization options. You can adjust the light level settings through the list of available options, including adjusting maximum and minimum light levels allowed. I prefer to keep the light outside untouched, but make it just a bit darker than software mode. Around the pier in the first map, the shadows are more fleshed out. It's only truly dark in indoor areas where there are no light sources.

I can take a screenshot and post it if you'd like.
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

Lagi, Mediafire doesn't seem to like your mod and has blocked the download.
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

For me is working
Yebudoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Yebudoom »

And now for me it does, too. Weird.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”