[Multiplayer]Inhuman Monstrosity - class-based Teamgame

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheSkyBug

[Multiplayer]Inhuman Monstrosity - class-based Teamgame

Post by TheSkyBug »

WARNING:This mod was made for Zandronum 3.1 and tested on it. So, better not to launch it with (G)ZDoom, because it's not only useless, but also won't work as intended.

Hey! I'm hosting this mod on Euroboros!
I'll be sitting there sometime, come and play: [EB] Inhuman Monstrosity (The not so great resurrection) v0.32a

Download link: https://euroboros.net/zandronum/downloa ... v0.32a.pk3
Music (required): https://euroboros.net/zandronum/downloa ... cv0.32.pk3

Welcome to the Teamgame zone! Only teamplay inside EB servers!
In all seriousness tho, welcome to the Inhuman Monstrosity (IM) – a team-based PvP mod, created to profile my deep, dark fantasies about my own multiplayer mod with Tchernobog and playerclasses.
IMPORTANT: While it’s theoretically compatible with Software render, I cannot guarantee that everything here will look and/or work as intended. So better play it with OpenGL.
ALSO IMPORTANT: Remember to bind the “Reload/Special” button. Lots of characters use it.
The concept here is old as all world – there are two teams, Inhumans and Monstrosities, each with their own set of classes. There are no items across the map – all you have is your character’s abilities and weapons, which recharges/reloads over time. Each player class is somewhat unique – they may have some similarities, but their playstyle varies from a simple bulletsponge to heavily-tactical assassin.
However, there are some differences between IM and the other PvP mods. First of them – a heavy reliance on teamwork. I mean, REALLY heavy. While there are classes that are more or less self-sustained, most of the characters are focused on a specific role, and are useless alone. So, plan your actions and help your teammates, or die as a disorganized crowd.
Second – new gamemodes. Currently only one, to be precise, and I’m not sure if there’ll be any more. A simple “Do as many frags as you can” is fun, but too overused in my opinion, so let’s bring something new to this concept.
Harvest:
Your common TDM, but with a twist. When player dies, their soul drops on the ground, waiting to be harvested. Press the USE key on it to acquire one point for your team. However, if teammates of the dead player get to their soul first, they’ll preserve it, basically making your efforts useless. So the goal here is not only to kill enemies, but also to collect their souls and save those of your teammates.

In addition, this mod has some kind of a lore, both global and for every character.
Global lore:
Spoiler:
List of characters:
Inhumans:
Spoiler:
Monstrosities:
Spoiler:
Most maps have something special about them, which’ll allow your team to gain an advantage over your enemy.
Here’s a list of maps:
Spoiler:
DMFlags and info for hosting:
Spoiler:
Known bugs:
Spoiler:
Here's a "gameplay showcase" thingy to understand how exactly the mod plays:
Spoiler:
And here are some screenshots. Thay aren't too informative anyway, better play the mod and see what it is yourself.
Spoiler:
Also note: mod is still in development. There will be new maps and classes in a future (currently I really need new maps), so stay tuned!

Special thanks:
Chillrend aka Virao Nash – for his AMAZING graphics works! He made some sprites and ALL the icons and portraits! (Check out his topic: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=71492 )
Nomakh Thunder – for morale help and creating maps.
All the people listed in CREDITS file – thank you for creating so much resources!
Last edited by TheSkyBug on Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 30 times in total.
undeadmonk354

Re: [Multiplayer]Inhuman Monstrosity - A class-based Teamgam

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Well, this is a really good mod but, is the gameplay similar to CutmanMike's Ghouls VS Humans?
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

undeadmonk354 wrote:Well, this is a really good mod but, is the gameplay similar to CutmanMike's Ghouls VS Humans?
The concept here is a bit similar (two teams, one "humanlike", one "monsterlike"), but it plays completely differently. Starting from the fact that GvH is made for TLMS, and ending with a whole mod's idea. In GvH one skilled player may wreck an entire enemy team: all classes there are more or less self-sustained.
Here, on the other hand, everything is built around teamwork. Someone must attack, someone must secure kills, someone must defend, and so on. So yeah, gameplay is extremely different from GvH - it's all about working as one team.
However, I wont lie - Ghouls vs Humans inspired me to create this mod, but I've tried to make it as different from it as possible.
In conclusion: concept is a bit-less similar, gameplay is different. At least that's what I'm aimed to do.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Okay, so, after a few days of public testing, here's the first update - version 0.21 is out!
Changes:
Spoiler:
Tell me: do you like what you see? If interested, ofcourse. Your feedback is extremely important for me!
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Version 0.22 is here! We have two new classes, a finally good first map, and a huge list of balance tweaks and fixes. Hope it worth it.
Changes:
Spoiler:
Valken

Post by Valken »

Looks a like a fun online or LAN game! Any reasons why we cannot use GZDoom on LAN? It should have more functional script support than Zandro right?
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Valken wrote:Looks a like a fun online or LAN game! Any reasons why we cannot use GZDoom on LAN? It should have more functional script support than Zandro right?
Well, GZDoom is a singleplayer port. Yeah, it supports much wider functionality than Zandro, but making the multiplayer-oriented mod for GZDoom will most likely result into a shitton of barely fixable bugs. Also, Zandronum has some neat things for multiplayer, which GZDoom doesn't have, so developing here is a bit easier (despite some of the Zandro's... Ahem... Let's politely call it "Disadvantages").
Besides, this mod is totally NOT for a LAN party. Trust me here: when I was testing it with my friends, it was not even half as fun, as when there were 10+ people on the server. It's all about classes, their interactions and a teamwork, so the more people are there - the better it is.
Nevertheless, nothing restricts you from organizing a LAN party (or some private servers on TSPG) in Zandronum. Though I wouldn't recommend that, for reasons I've listed above.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

A wild version 0.23 apperas! It's more a hotfix, but still important.
Yeah, balancing stuff is totally not my forte. Now I understand you, Pillowblaster.
Changes:
Spoiler:
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Hello again, fellas! This mod is not dead, and not going to die in the near future!
Here comes the v0.24 update, which bring FOUR new classes, TWO new maps, and lots of small tweaks.
Changes:
Spoiler:
Also, if somebody interested in this mod: in your opinion, should I create a Discord server for it or not? Your opinion is important for me (seriously), so if you'll take some time to answer this question, I'll be very glad. Not forcing anyone, tho, at least because I can't, heh.
Anyways, see you soon in game! Hopefully.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Just here to quickly drop a hotfix and do a little spam here.
Update v0.25 is out!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

That's a really good hotfix, I'm looking forward to v0.30 soon.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

undeadmonk354 wrote:That's a really good hotfix, I'm looking forward to v0.30 soon.
Considering it's only a v0.25, that'll be not soon at all.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

Ugh... I do hope I won't get banned for spamming myself.
Anyways, here's a new version v0.26! It's all about important bug fixing and balancing characters, so there's nothing too interesting. Just your common "quality of life" update.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 64palm »

hello
why when i play skirmish offline all character bots just tank ?? i'm sure im changing all character but just tank only show at gameplay
im playing via zandronum delta touch
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

64palm wrote:hello
why when i play skirmish offline all character bots just tank ?? i'm sure im changing all character but just tank only show at gameplay
im playing via zandronum delta touch
That's because this mod doesn't support bots... For now.
Although I don't think I really should create custom bots for it. Even if I'll somehow manage to make them non-braindead, they'll still be a dumb popsicles, mindlesly running around and shooting, not collecting souls, and effectively being a bunch of free frags. Not to mention that there's a few mechanics, which bots can't use efficiently at all (for example: Lightning Wizard's blink. Bots will just randomly teleport around, without any tactics).
So yeah. This mod is about confronting people, not bots.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”