First Map - In 25 Years

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
raviner

First Map - In 25 Years

Post by raviner »

Hello. New.

I briefly fooled around with some Doom editing back in the 90s. Haven't done any since. Haven't really done much gaming since. Then I started watching some Doom play-throughs on Youtube a month or so ago and was suddenly struck with a nostalgic urge to get back in the game.

This first new map is urban style, based loosely on my own immediate neighbourhood. Pretty basic. Strictly Doom II. No mods, nothing fancy. However, I think it would probably qualify as what you call a "megamap" as it took me about an hour to complete in "Don't Hurt Me" mode (then again, I'm not very good at Doom).

Screenshots were taken during the design process, before population, so no real spoilers:
X0.jpg

And, of course, the WAD:

https://wadhosting.com/Wad/A0341B117EEA ... 0E3360D3B1

Does it suck? Let me know.
It should - first map in 25 years, after all!
Last edited by raviner on Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo

Re: First Map - In 25 Years

Post by Dynamo »

It's cute in an early 90s sort of way. If you had told me that this is a map you had on your hard drive back in the day and applied the finishing touches now I would have believed it. It feels like a time capsule from when this sort of map was extremely common on various websites. I do like the non-linearity, but I would recommend fixing some of the visual bugs with doors, and applying the unpegged flag on the doortraks, that's just a convention everyone follows.

As this feels like a time capsule from the 90s I can recommend it to those who are into that sort of thing.
raviner

Post by raviner »

Thanks for giving it a shot Dynamo! Indeed, parts of it literally did come from maps I had on my hard drive back in the day.

For anyone else interested, I've done a bit of an update, making it a little less confusing/convoluted (as that seems to be the main complaint I've heard - that, and the doors!), hosted here at a more permanent location:

https://wadhosting.com/Wad/A0341B117EEA ... 0E3360D3B1
ZizoTiger

Post by ZizoTiger »

nice job man i missed those types of levels keep up the good work brother!
raviner

Post by raviner »

Thanks Zizo!

Keepin' up I am. Just finished another map for your playing pleasure:

https://wadhosting.com/Wad/F1A85E69036B ... E05732EAC8
X2.jpg
raviner

Post by raviner »

Falcon

Post by Falcon »

I like these sort of maps, where there's plenty of room and large areas even if there's not much to them. MAP01 was ok and after deciding to try the other two glad i did as MAP02 was ok too but MAP03 just blew me away - was not expecting that after the first two haha! All i can say is keep mapping as you can certainly do some great stuff :)
raviner

Post by raviner »

Thanks Falcon! The third map was definitely a step-up from my first two attempts. I'm already working on a fourth map - not nearly as big, but there will still be plenty of room with large open areas....
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Wow ok looking forward to it :thumb:
raviner

Post by raviner »

Fourth map, as promised:
https://wadhosting.com/Wad/5F4D508BFAF0 ... 6D90EEFEF1
Untitled-Small.jpg
Hopefully there's plenty of room for the Falcon to fly...
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

haha!
first of all not a fan of indoor house type maps or lots of square rooms that lead to square rooms and i hate tight corridors so i got a bit bored with the beginning part (which needs more health) but then jumped to that large open area where the cyberdemon and spiders were and that was a nice area but disliked those low ceilings on the hallways getting there. Still a pretty good map though and you put in a lot of effort just maybe keep it a little simpler (i myself like maps that have one main direction to the exit) and don't forget to lower unpeg those door tracks :)
raviner

Post by raviner »

Ah - sorry to trigger your Doom claustrophobia like that. I should have said "occasionally there's plenty of room". Haha..
Thanks for playing again though. I don't think I'll ever remember to unpeg those damn doortracks - but at least I'm using doortracks now, unlike my first 2 maps!
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

haha do you remember Wolf3D? That was a lot of tight square corridors and if you played too much you would feel sick. Now and again i come across doom maps that have that right at the start (love that!) and i start to feel sick after a few minutes so that maps history (unless it's an above average map which i then just modify).

At the moment i'm going through A.L.T. and MAN i've seen some top levels out there but christ these are the LARGEST maps i've ever seen and they look great too! but there's so much more to them as well with awesome tricks and effects that blew my mind :)

Anyway making maps are fun albeit time consuming and you can always improve them. I think you're doing quite ok and will check and see what you come up with in future, cheers :)

Return to “Levels”