Fat Reward & Ticket Home | My Farewell (all Chapters online)

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Fat Reward & Ticket Home | My Farewell (all Chapters online)

Postby Tormentor667 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:43 pm

For over 20 years I am actively and creatively part of the community. For over two decades I wasted spent time for modding, put a lot of dedication into creating mods and wrote a lot of posts in the ZDoom forums (mostly asking for help, currently a total of 13339 entries - ugh). So, when is the right moment to end something? When you feel exhausted - or stop when it's best just as people say? I asked myself the same question for several times now and I came to the conclusion that - at least this time not connected to any kind of drama, so decisions are less emotionally heated - I can answer this question with one single word: now.

In my series of "Farewell Articles" at the Realm667 (https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/farewell), I will share my memories and experiences with you, how I did get into modding, into gaming. I will tell you stories about friends, stories about family, stories about competitors. And I will share a few "behind the scenes" informations about my releases from the past and maybe also some notes about my current projects and my future plans. I can't promise you a good writing style and proper english, but I can promise you: It's worth reading. The first article will be published on Sunday, 28th 2021, the next articles subsequently on each sunday. So have fun reading more of that, and enjoy this little retrospective, this little autobiography.
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Mon May 03, 2021 12:31 am, edited 9 times in total.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Re: Fat Reward & Ticket Home | My Farewell

Postby kevansevans » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:52 pm

I don't think advertisements belong in general...
kevansevans
Disciple of The Great God Imp
Spotlight Team

Github ID: kevansevans
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Cherno » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:55 pm

I hope I will remember to read the article when it is uploaded :)
Cherno

Postby Dynamo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:27 pm

I wish you the best in whatever endeavours you have planned, but I hope you understand that this raises many questions about the status of your current Doom projects, and that I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to state clearly what your intentions are regarding those without us having to wait for a blog post sometime in the future to know.
Dynamo
It's a jungle out there.

Postby Kinsie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Dynamo wrote:I wish you the best in whatever endeavours you have planned, but I hope you understand that this raises many questions about the status of your current Doom projects, and that I don't think it would be unreasonable for you to state clearly what your intentions are regarding those without us having to wait for a blog post sometime in the future to know.
Yeah, this raises some questions about BoA. For one, was the rest of the team told in advance that the team leader was leaving, or are they finding out through this thread? For another, BoA's very close to the finish line, so why not wait it out until it releases and leave on a high note? It's all a bit confusing, but then, I find "I'm leaving" threads kind of confusing in general.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:36 am

I am pretty sure that the questions will be answered by reading the articles in the upcoming weeks (10 articles, each every sunday). These articles are some kind of a auto-biography with a lot of inside information, doom and gaming history in general and other relevant stuff, that I simply wanted to share. Instead of making people read one huge article at once, I thought it would be a good decision to split it up and release each after another. That way you can read them every sunday or you can read the whole article in 10 weeks - or you simply ignore it :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Rachael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:28 am

I don't think I could ever truly leave a community like this. I would miss the people in it way too much. That being said I know when it can get to be too much, and when that happens the best thing to do is step back and let your feelings about it occur naturally and deal with them as best as you know how.

Ultimately the thing that makes a community special is the people inside it - and those people will still be there no matter what you do, even if it's not Doom. :)

So yeah this is a bit of a softly-spoken admission that I don't do Doom 24/7. Sue me. I would get tired of it very quick if I did. But I still connect with the people and I am unwilling to just say goodbye to them like that. They wanna do Doom 24/7 - good for them. I'll still say hi to them just the same. :)
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Kinsie » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:11 am

Tormentor667 wrote:I am pretty sure that the questions will be answered by reading the articles in the upcoming weeks (10 articles, each every sunday).
Wait, hang on, I missed this bit. TEN WEEKS?!

I'm not sure any community member's departure warrants a ten-week tickertape parade, especially when they've previously done the leaving-the-community thing and gone back on it.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:52 am

Well, answering this post would 'anticipate' (if that's the right term) a lot, that I have written in the articles, so I simply suggest reading these if there is interest.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Dynamo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:58 am

Tormentor667 wrote:I am pretty sure that the questions will be answered by reading the articles in the upcoming weeks (10 articles, each every sunday). These articles are some kind of a auto-biography with a lot of inside information, doom and gaming history in general and other relevant stuff, that I simply wanted to share. Instead of making people read one huge article at once, I thought it would be a good decision to split it up and release each after another. That way you can read them every sunday or you can read the whole article in 10 weeks - or you simply ignore it :)

That is all well and good, but again, to reiterate... I don't think we, the community, or the fans of your work especially, should have to wait ten weeks for an answer to a very simple question, and the question is this:

You're not giving up on BoA, BoA is gonna see a release soon...

... right?

I understand you may want to keep much of the behind-the-scenes work for the articles, but at the very least answer this simple question... Some people fear the worst after reading the opening post of this thread, so I think it would be a good idea to dispel any rumuors now, rather than waiting ten weeks to do so. We can wait ten weeks for the rest of the information on the blog, but it would be in everyone's interests if your intentions on whether BoA is gonna see a release or not are made clear.
Dynamo
It's a jungle out there.

Postby Rachael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:10 am

Dynamo wrote:I understand you may want to keep much of the behind-the-scenes work for the articles, but at the very least answer this simple question... Some people fear the worst after reading the opening post of this thread, so I think it would be a good idea to dispel any rumuors now, rather than waiting ten weeks to do so. We can wait ten weeks for the rest of the information on the blog, but it would be in everyone's interests if your intentions on whether BoA is gonna see a release or not are made clear.

I couldn't agree more on this bit. Please clarify it so that there is no assumptions about it, that could be really dangerous and devastating.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Kinsie » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:41 am

Actually, someone bought up another concern elsewhere:

The Realm667 and BoA pages have hammered ads for donations with varying degrees of intensity over the years. Where's that money gonna go if you're not part of those projects anymore? I feel like this is the sort of thing that should be addressed more urgently, as opposed to being part of your one-man stage show's ten-week run on Broadway.
Kinsie
Dog Days

Postby Rachael » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:44 am

Kinsie wrote:The Realm667 and BoA pages have hammered ads for donations with varying degrees of intensity over the years. Where's that money gonna go if you're not part of those projects anymore? I feel like this is the sort of thing that should be addressed more urgently, as opposed to being part of your one-man stage show's ten-week run on Broadway.

Please - this could be done without the jokes. Thank you. Everything else in your message was just fine, until you got to the end.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Xim » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:47 am

Thanks for your contributions Torm! I wish you luck in your future endeavors. And please don't leave us hangin' too long on what's going on with your projects! :P
Xim

Postby Tormentor667 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:03 am

Rachael wrote:I couldn't agree more on this bit. Please clarify it so that there is no assumptions about it, that could be really dangerous and devastating.

It wasn't my goal to make anyone nervous to be honest. What I can tell you is: Blade of Agony will be released (without any cutbacks or restraints) as planned, and so will be the remasters for some projects, which are almost done. For the Realm667: It will continue staying online and I will take care of technical maintenance, but I won't do any work on news items or repository entries any more - but I will help volunteers to work with the system. So there is no need for concerns, the repo will stay online and available for the modders.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Next

Return to General