Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (New 1.4A Version!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Exeor

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3A Version)

Post by Exeor »

Netheritor wrote:Wait, last part of campaign? So, what order the major boss will be fought?

1. Plot finished -> D'sparil -> Korax -> Eidolon?

2. Plot -> D'sparil -> Plot -> Korax -> plot -> Eidolon?

OR my version similar to the number 2:

Plot -> Sub-boss (your heresiarch) -> Plot -> Sub-boss -> D'sparil (Major boss) -> Repeat 2 times again.
The final part of my campaign is:

Heresiarch (fought for the third time) -> D'sparil -> Korax -> Eidolon -> Mastermind of the Cult of Despair who is behind the events -> Plot finished

The thing is, I'm thinking if I should make the final dungeon a point of no return, I mean: once you enter the level you can't return to explore the rest of the optional areas or villages, some RPGs do this and it isn't even considered a bad move if the game is designed to warn you before entering in the final level, what do you think?
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Will not read the spoiler but I think I will like it.

About the final confrontation, I'd say make it a point of no return, with a nice clear warning before entering.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Will the dungeon updates be cosmetic or will they affect layout too? I think you should make your dungeons much more open, push areas against one another and open solid walls with windows, gates, etc. to provide more sightlines, as well as adding verticality.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Woolie Wool wrote:Will the dungeon updates be cosmetic or will they affect layout too? I think you should make your dungeons much more open, push areas against one another and open solid walls with windows, gates, etc. to provide more sightlines, as well as adding verticality.
Cosmetic and layout, I have done many changes already for the first dungeon with less corridors and more big open areas, it gonna take some time, but I like the new direction I'm taking with it.
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

A question, and sorry if it sounds silly but I am not familiar with modding.
Have you thought about replacing some weapons' sprites? I was thinking about how lame is to have the Gauntlets of the Necromancer models while we could have this incredibly cool vampiric hands from the Courtyard of Korax mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAs1oV6kGaA

Also, if you are looking for music, I read that this guy allows people to use his Heretic/Hexen covers if you credit him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHG8rgugo-Y
Netheritor

Post by Netheritor »

Point of no return?
Agree. Just don't forget to add a merchant cave in there.
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Nightgaunt wrote:A question, and sorry if it sounds silly but I am not familiar with modding.
Have you thought about replacing some weapons' sprites? I was thinking about how lame is to have the Gauntlets of the Necromancer models while we could have this incredibly cool vampiric hands from the Courtyard of Korax mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAs1oV6kGaA

Also, if you are looking for music, I read that this guy allows people to use his Heretic/Hexen covers if you credit him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHG8rgugo-Y
I prefer to respect the original work and the sprites used by Tethis, but that doesn't mean I couldn't make an optional addon with some replaced sprites, I will think about it.

About the music, yeah, I want to add some remixes from Heretic/Hexen in new areas that caught the players off guard when they hear them. Xeotroid also makes good remixes.
Netheritor wrote:Point of no return?
Agree. Just don't forget to add a merchant cave in there.
Of course, it is the last chance for the player to spend those 5k-10k gold coins in Kraters of Might and other important stuff before the final showdown :P
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

A wonderful mod! I reached the sign "Thank you for playing". I was level 32. I played as an assassin. I hope there will be a continuation, as I noticed that some areas are now impossible to get into. I liked the natural levels. But I don't think there's enough contrast in the caves. Sometimes they are too dark, sometimes they are too light. You can make different illuminations of the sectors. And I also bought almost nothing in the entire game in the store. In my opinion, only 3 or 4 torches. Since there is always a lot of mana and health on the levels. I hope the next levels are already being drawn!
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

And also a question. Can I use some sprites from your game for my project?
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

BigMemka wrote:A wonderful mod! I reached the sign "Thank you for playing". I was level 32. I played as an assassin. I hope there will be a continuation, as I noticed that some areas are now impossible to get into. I liked the natural levels. But I don't think there's enough contrast in the caves. Sometimes they are too dark, sometimes they are too light. You can make different illuminations of the sectors. And I also bought almost nothing in the entire game in the store. In my opinion, only 3 or 4 torches. Since there is always a lot of mana and health on the levels. I hope the next levels are already being drawn!
Make sure you are playing with the doom or the standard mode in the sector light (located in hardware renderer), some levels like the Black Passage are very dark on porpuse for the player to use torches :P
Stores are more like a little help for players, but unless you are playing most optional dungeons or buy in stores, you won't see powerful items like Kraters of Might or Mystic Urns in the main quest. Anyway, if you are a veteran player, you won't need to buy too much stuff (maybe a few quartz flasks but that is all)
Yeah, I have started with the next levels already and redesigning the first dungeon (which lacked quality). Zok is a friend of mine who is helping me with the level design, he is now creating a desert crypt located in the wasteland:

BigMemka wrote:And also a question. Can I use some sprites from your game for my project?
Of course, glad if it helps for your project! :wink:
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Looks great!
Nightgaunt

Post by Nightgaunt »

Any updates on the project?
Exeor

Post by Exeor »

Nightgaunt wrote:Any updates on the project?
I've been a bit busy these weeks but I have made some progress, Z0k (who helped me with a big part of the spaurus field in map01) gave me permission to use the levels of his old heretic wad from 2014 to add some of the designs to my mod with complete freedom since he has plans to do a remake about it in the future. Also as I said before, he is helping me with some rooms of the next dungeon using some of his last work.

Some photos of what the Direwood Castle will be like now:

https://imgur.com/a/L7rY93c

Also, In case you want to check his old wad:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... n-my-wads/
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

this campaign is very nice! I played a few hours with the barbarian at skill 4 and now I'm in the swamps, I'm a noob lol often I struggled to go forward in the game. but I like it very much,
just passed the castle and those pics are awesome!! good work, tomorrow I'll continue
Colerx

Post by Colerx »

yeeah I'm knee-deeping into it, the level design, plot, monsters, events everything is awesome, what an excellent work!!!

At this point once finished, I would like to replay it with my cousin in the future, I've done a quick co-op test on gzdoom and everything seems working good so far, the only problem I got, wich is hardly "workaroundable", is that when changing map, the spawn point is the same of each other, causing the death of both players, and I think for the same reason the game goes mad sometimes not changing level at all and make it crashing if trying to pass the point again,

Would you please try to look into this issue in next update if not bothering too much? I really would like to involve my cousin and maybe friends all together in this campaign!
in the end I guess it's just the problem of the spawn point. other little issues like doors shut after respawining I think we could easily get around them.,..

Thank you very much for your work

Return to “Levels”