IWAD Message Fixes and Improvements

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

IWAD Message Fixes and Improvements

Post by Panzermann11 »

In GZDoom, language text files have a flag called $ifgame which makes a message appear differently depending on the IWAD used. Chex Quest made use of this, but sadly it wasn't used for other games like Heretic, Hexen and Strife. Every equivalent cheat uses the messages from Doom regardless, despite them being different on the original DOS game. For example, in Heretic and Hexen, when you type "quicken" and "satan" for each game respectively, "Degreelessness mode on" shows up instead of "God mode on" used in the original game.

Putting the flag to good use, I was able to restore the messages that were different in the original games themselves.

Aside from that, I also made some improvements, such as:
  • Replacing the secret discovery message based on the GBA version with "You found a secret area!" akin to the 2019 re-release and Strife.
  • Restoring voice lines when you quit the game in Strife.
  • Replacing Doom's quit messages referring to DOS with ones from Doom 95.
  • Adding a replacement obituary for the Schutzstaffel (or rather Schutzkämpfer) soldiers when playing on the Unity version of Doom 2, since Nazi-related content are censored in that version.
Spoiler: Screenshots
Download link
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:05 am, edited 22 times in total.
Trimint123
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: IWAD Message Fix

Post by Trimint123 »

Unfortunately, Strife exit quote sounds still used DOOM timing when exit the game, so the sound is awkwardly cut out. Plus, there's suppose to be a screen when exiting Strife before quitting, which GZDoom also lacking of.

Still, added text for the rest of the IWADs that is missing is a welcome.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Trimint123 wrote:Unfortunately, Strife exit quote sounds still used DOOM timing when exit the game, so the sound is awkwardly cut out. Plus, there's suppose to be a screen when exiting Strife before quitting, which GZDoom also lacking of.

Still, added text for the rest of the IWADs that is missing is a welcome.
Might be possible to fix, but if so, I don't know how. There's a catch though... You can hear the entirety of the voicelines if the ENDOOM screens are enabled.
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Trimint123 wrote:Unfortunately, Strife exit quote sounds still used DOOM timing when exit the game, so the sound is awkwardly cut out.
The length of the Strife exit messages is why they were very deliberately turned into text quotes.

It's not a technical issue. ZDoom could have forced you wait for twenty seconds while Blackbird admonishes you for quitting every time you quit. Very easy to implement. But the devs found this behavior incredibly annoying and irritating.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Add the ability to press enter or Y again to skip the wait?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gez wrote:But the devs found this behavior incredibly annoying and irritating.
Not just the devs either. As I recall, the community was generally supportive of this change too.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Dark-Assassin wrote:Add the ability to press enter or Y again to skip the wait?
Any key would be a lot more fine.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Update 2: Added a few messages for the Raven games which were missing and a filter for Doom so the custom quit messages now actually only affects Doom. Hopefully it's not gonna break a few games using custom Doom quit messages like Hacx anymore.
Trimint123
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Trimint123 »

Because of the new update 4.5.0, Strife's exit sound now won't get cut out if ENDOOM was On as it will keeps playing as long as the window still active during ENDOOM!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You should have made this a bug report instead of a side project. I never was aware that these messages are different and not from the original games. They should have been fixed in the core language file.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Trimint123 wrote:Because of the new update 4.5.0, Strife's exit sound now won't get cut out if ENDOOM was On as it will keeps playing as long as the window still active during ENDOOM!
Yeah, I already stated that earlier.
Panzermann11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Graf Zahl wrote:You should have made this a bug report instead of a side project. I never was aware that these messages are different and not from the original games. They should have been fixed in the core language file.
And I'm surprised aswell. Seems it's another of those long time oversights where they weren't fixed until many, many years later like that second blood decal.
Also, thanks for reminding me. Of course, this mod is a good way to wait until the problem's fixed.
Panzermann11

Re: IWAD Message Fixes and Improvements

Post by Panzermann11 »

Update 3:
Added a unique replacement obituary for the SS soldiers when playing on the Unity IWAD, since Nazi-related imagery are censored in that version.
"The Regime" is taken from how the Nazis are referred to in the German version of Wolfenstein.
Panzermann11

Re: IWAD Message Fixes and Improvements

Post by Panzermann11 »

I accidentally uploaded my configuration file instead of the proper PK3 file, should be fixed now. I also moved the download to Google Drive, since it apparently was too large for me to upload it directly.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”