ZDOOM player by age

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

ZDOOM player by age

under 15
8%
15 to 25
65%
25 to 35
12%
35 to 45
8%
45 to 60
8%
over 60
No votes

Total votes: 52

Biff

Post by Biff »

Zell wrote:14 ^_^
Lucky guy, or....yeah I guess so! This has to be a good time to be born (isn't it {usually} always?) ^o^
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Corwin wrote:
43 here... got hooked on Doom when the shareware came out; can still remember running it on a 386sx with the screen size reduced to the size of a postage stamp to get decent FPS...
I'm only 27, and I remember doing the exact same thing. But I only played it on a 386sx in school. Then my mom was able to raise $1,500 bucks to buy a Packard Hell. Which by the way was a 486dx with 64 kilobits of ram, and DOS 4.1. The very next day I took a floppy disk with me to school to copy the Share-ware Doom. I got home, copied it into a directory, then began to play. To my amazement I was able to push the envelope, and set the screen size to 3/4 the screen size.

You damm kids with your "MEGA" bytes, XP'es, and your high fluton Super VGA's. What ever happened to typing out a command line to get some good old fashioned gaming entertainment. We had 16 colors, and graphics so slow a cartoonist could draw it faster. But we were thankful for every enjoyable aspect of it all.

Sorry I had a absent-minded professor moment there (to much Futurama, not enough sleep).
Doom

Post by Doom »

Lumpy wrote:Corwin wrote:
43 here... got hooked on Doom when the shareware came out; can still remember running it on a 386sx with the screen size reduced to the size of a postage stamp to get decent FPS...
I'm only 27, and I remember doing the exact same thing. But I only played it on a 386sx in school. Then my mom was able to raise $1,500 bucks to buy a Packard Hell. Which by the way was a 486dx with 64 kilobits of ram, and DOS 4.1. The very next day I took a floppy disk with me to school to copy the Share-ware Doom. I got home, copied it into a directory, then began to play. To my amazement I was able to push the envelope, and set the screen size to 3/4 the screen size.

You damm kids with your "MEGA" bytes, XP'es, and your high fluton Super VGA's. What ever happened to typing out a command line to get some good old fashioned gaming entertainment. We had 16 colors, and graphics so slow a cartoonist could draw it faster. But we were thankful for every enjoyable aspect of it all.

Sorry I had a absent-minded professor moment there (to much Futurama, not enough sleep).

Agreed. I'd say Nothing really good has been done for the good of the gaming after people started programming with Quake engines and such. 3D and Video Accelerators awfully reduce the quality of the final product cos seems like no true effort and imagination are put to create new and interesting stuff. Believe it or not, before I met Doom, I used to spend my time with Monopoly Deluxe...:D
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Fear not. Doom 3 is going to revolutionize FPS gaming. PHEAR!!!
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Nah, i disagree with the lack of originality thing... I think a lot of modern games are quite high in standards, your just jeleouse because you can't play them on your puny computors, MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!11111 :twisted:

Ever play Clive Barkers Undying? That's a sereously cool game, incredibly scary IMHO.

What about Playstation games, they are pritty damn cool too, like Silent Hill, devil may cry and all that :-D.

Although, as technology gets more advanced the human mind appears to get more primitive, maybe there is an equation for that H/T=Hi (H=Human, T=Technology, Hi = Human Interlect :-D).

:twisted:
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

I recently started college three years ago :P

I'll be 22 in december
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

<plug shameless=TRUE>If you want a truly unique single-player experience and don't mind wetting your pants a few times during the game (Maybe because it's scary, but much more likely that you just refuse to get up off the couch to use the restroom) grab a GameCube and get Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. If you don't wanna buy it, at least give it a nice long rental.

First off, each chapter gives you a different character to play as each with their own abilities and weaknesses, not to mention your weapon selection goes from swords and daggers found in ancient Egypt to machine guns and grenade launchers during the gulf war...

You then have the excellent story line that brings the experiences of each one of these characters together in a nice smooth arc. This game probably has one of the best and most planned out storylines of any game in years.

Top all that off with a truly unique "Sanity System" that given time will cause YOU to question your own sanity (Yes, it's that great) and it is one kick-ass game.</plug>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I love horror games. I love being scared. I remember borrowing System Shock 2 from a friend in junior high school, then being unable to finish it because it was so freakin' scary. I wish I still had it ... I still remember hiding behind a desk, hearing the pat of bare feet just a few meters away as the hybrids were searching for me. One of them said something like, "you ... no hide ... forever." Long story short: they found me, and I practically shat myself.

HotWax: that game you were just describing reminds me of the Call of Cthulhu game coming out soon (or maybe it already came out ... I dunno). It's based off of HP Lovecraft's works (he's the guy whose books also influenced Quake, Quake III Arena, Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, and even Doom), and it makes extensive use of a "sanity" system - as your character is fatigued or traumatized, he begins hallucinating and hearing things.

I'm glad to see that developers are trying to make scary games again. Doom III is starting to look really creepy, as is Half-Life 2, and I'll bet that Quake IV (when it comes out a few decades from now) will have a lot of horror elements in it, too.

P.S. - Back to the topic: does anyone know how old Randy is?
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Liam wrote:(he's the guy whose books also influenced Quake, Quake III Arena, Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, and even Doom)
Not to mention Metallica and Cliff Burton. :)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Heh, if it were just hallucinations, it'd be nifty. As it is, it's oh so much more than that.....

"Error! Can't read controller in Port 1! Press B to continue."
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I started college 4 years ago and i'm 19... I think English schoos are completely differant from American schools, for a start, we all leave school atr 16 and can do whatever we want afterwards (find a job, go onto higher education, etc...) and college is purely optional, but you can study whatever you want (i'm studieing music production, and i'm learning loads). Plus, Uni is totally differant than college... so, yeah, I know nothing :-D

Man, that author sounds like my perfect author, he inspred nearly ALL of my favorite games, including silent hill :-D

:twisted:
MLdB

Post by MLdB »

cccp_leha wrote:I'll take you guys out for *legal* drinks after LOTR comes out. :)
:) legal age for 'drinks' is 16 where i live (the Netherlands)... weird governments you people have...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Lexus wrote:
I think English schoos are completely differant from American schools
Yeah - they're a helluva lot better. I would have LOVED to be schooled in England (my dad's English, and all of his siblings got to stay in England for schooling) - I'm always hearing about how the American education system needs to start emulating England's or Germany's.

Thirteen straight years of school, plus two-and-a-half years of college, and I know next to nothing. :wink:
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well that sucks...
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

You wanna talk about good education systems, try the non-existant USSR. But really, almost every European country has a better/stronger educational system than the US.

Return to “General”