Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

Valken

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.2 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by Valken »

I think the mod is a good alternative to BD, PB and HXRT.

I play some hardcore ARMA as well and that has a weight weapon "type" limit - 1x pistol, rifle or shotgun - same class, and rocket launcher - AA or AT primarily.

It really limits your play style but makes the game more tacticle.

For Doom this would not work well due to the type of enemies and sheer amount of it, especially through mods.

Just give them X total weapons of ANY type. Let the user drop and choose to their playstyle.

Weight limit is basically the same as above but limits the HEAVY stuff. Under certain situations, the player may really need more the heavy weapons especially if they add on USER maps, like Maps of Chaos Overkill edition...
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Spoiler: Feedback Response
Appreciate the compliments and feedback!
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

As far as debris/used item trash fadeout goes, I know/knew of a mod that made debris have a timeout cvar where you could have it be set to 0 by default (for permanence) or any tic amount above 0 to set a duration. It worked out great.

Glad you're on board with the strife popout screen for ammo like how SUAB did it. Items would be cool too, though I hear gearbox might add an inventory item UI at some point, so maybe but that on the backburner.

Does the possibility of landmines being able to be retrievable if they're planted on the ground sound like a good idea, to you? Sort of like how you can defuse any IED in Hideous Destructor (even hostile ones if you are theoretically fast enough) but it leaves the gyro grenade in a permanent dud state. Except since it's a landmine, it wouldn't be broken, just defused. I find myself using them a fair deal defensively, resulting in many being unnecessary, but unable to be retrieved. Perhaps, though, this ability is out of the Scavver's skillset, since it's not a friendly targeting IED allowing defusal, but a pressure activated mine.
WrenchInThePlan

Post by WrenchInThePlan »

I can't seem to interrupt the reload for the revolver (haven't tested with other weapons).
This is problematic if you choose to do so in the heat of combat and an enemy rushes you.

Beyond that, it seems like this is a pretty good mod!
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Abba Zabba wrote:As far as debris/used item trash fadeout goes, I know/knew of a mod that made debris have a timeout cvar where you could have it be set to 0 by default (for permanence) or any tic amount above 0 to set a duration. It worked out great.
Care to PM me a link to this mod? I wanna take a look at the code to see how something like that would exactly work. Would be the perfect implementation.
Abba Zabba wrote:Glad you're on board with the strife popout screen for ammo like how SUAB did it. Items would be cool too, though I hear gearbox might add an inventory item UI at some point, so maybe but that on the backburner.
And thank ye for bringing SUAB up, because I'd totally forgotten about it! More mods to reference and study to make mine better.
Abba Zabba wrote:Does the possibility of landmines being able to be retrievable if they're planted on the ground sound like a good idea, to you?
Absolutely it does, would help make the mines infinitely more useful. I'll have to look into how to implement that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going ahead and dropping the animation update! It didn't take quite as long as I was expecting it to, but that was partly because I was expecting to find more sprites to replace the ones currently in use. Not a whole lot of bug fixing this time, just lots of new gun feel thanks to the smoother animations and the semi-auto buggery. This won't break your saves, but I've noticed that if you run this version on an old version 1.2 save the semi-auto goodness and such won't take effect.

From here, all that I need to take care of are a few things with NPC sprites to differentiate certain gunner zombies from one another, mostly pertaining to the magnum and rifle zombies so that their alternate weapons are more visible, and of course, the big switch to ZScript for the guns. I am also tempted to change the grenades into a proper system where they can be thrown from any weapon. You'd be limited to holding one, maybe two grenade types and would have to swap them out, and with the press of a button, bam, ya throw a grenade.

All of this is for later because I'm largely taking a proper break from the mod for now. I'll tend to it if there's any bugs or issues that need tending to, however.

Ninja Edit: And of course, as soon as I publish an update I notice that barrels have stopped ejecting shrapnel.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 27/1/21)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

WrenchInThePlan wrote:I can't seem to interrupt the reload for the revolver (haven't tested with other weapons).
This is problematic if you choose to do so in the heat of combat and an enemy rushes you.
The revolver, lever rifle, multi-barreled grenade launcher, and all non-breach loaded shotguns can have their reloads interrupted, though there are but a few frames where it can be. Best practice is to hold the fire button down while reloading.

I'll be sure to add more interruptible frames in the reloading sequences.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Great to see another update! You steadily and consistently improve. Forgot to also mention how your choice on setting RunHealth to 20 HP lines up with the fact that a single stim is just barely sufficient enough to allow you to run, I like that.
CaptainNurbles wrote:
Abba Zabba wrote:Does the possibility of landmines being able to be retrievable if they're planted on the ground sound like a good idea, to you?
Absolutely it does, would help make the mines infinitely more useful. I'll have to look into how to implement that.
Could it be as simple as making the planted land mine a pickup on top of it's normal armed state? It shouldn't be too complicated, need to check how HD does it.
Edit: in saying that, I just realized that without the Use To Pickup mod, you wouldn't be able to do this because the very nature of picking things up in Doom by default is exactly what a landmine is designed for, lol
CaptainNurbles wrote:Ninja Edit: And of course, as soon as I publish an update I notice that barrels have stopped ejecting shrapnel.
Modding in a nutshell. At first, I thought you intended for no barrel shrapnel when you posted the 'no barrel damage' fix some days ago, haha.
CaptainNurbles wrote:
Abba Zabba wrote:As far as debris/used item trash fadeout goes, I know/knew of a mod that made debris have a timeout cvar where you could have it be set to 0 by default (for permanence) or any tic amount above 0 to set a duration. It worked out great.
Care to PM me a link to this mod? I wanna take a look at the code to see how something like that would exactly work. Would be the perfect implementation.
I gotcha, it's a feature in WildWeasel's Terrorists! mod.
Spoiler: Suggestions
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Spoiler: Response!
Abba Zabba

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.5 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by Abba Zabba »

I hear you on the melee point, I do in fact ditch any melee stuff once I get a punch or kick upgrade. Still haven't found a tazefist or chainsaw, however.

Hotkey binds for lots of stuff is very appreciated, glad to hear you plan on adding a selected throwable grenade hotkey too. And thank you for adding semi auto to that rare carbine, the burst exclusivity and ammo rarity was the reason I didn't bother with keeping it and instead used it as a quick mag dump gun. Machete and 20ga. pump shotgun buffs are also much appreciated.

Actually REALLY on board for your revamped take on bandages. More flexible healing, slow, 1HP per second like a blood bag to make stims further stand out and shine as combat healing, and potentially giving 45 HP if you use a whole roll. That's solid to me. Also realized that the idea for 40 HP bandages is entirely too huge and chunky for a single bandage, your main plain healing method. In a mod where you don't want to waste anything but also need to be absolutely prepared and in healthy condition so that you can keep on existing in order to be frugal.

Forgot to complement on the dirty zombie coats (I'm assuming they're still supposed to be scientists, right?) I didn't recognize the .22 WMR zombie at first, my brain saw a brown, dirtied coat and automatically assumed it for a melee zombie, resulting in me very nearly being shot at the last moment. Makes sense that a demon-possessed, reanimated corpse that's been potentially shambling around for years (in the mod's lore,) would be absolutely caked in dirt and god knows what else. The new gun sprites are excellent, though I did enjoy all 3 of the old sprite sets, barring the 9mm rifle which stood out. Great addition! New .45 firing sound caught me off guard initially with its oomph. However...I'd horizontally mirror/flip the new .45 sprite so that it's muzzle faces to the right like all the other handguns (and all other guns, to my knowledge?) Just for consistency's sake.
Last edited by Abba Zabba on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Abba Zabba wrote:Still haven't found a tazefist or chainsaw, however.
Granted, I restart levels very often while testing features, but I've seen plenty of chainsaws and taser fists ever since I increased the chainsaw spawn rate and removed the fisticuffs upgrades from chainsaw spawns. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose!
Abba Zabba wrote:Guff about bandages
I've also been tempted to include a bleed mechanic... somehow. Different caliber weapons have different chances to cause bleed, especially if you're not wearing armor. I have no idea how to go about doing that, but it would make gunfights all the more lethal while also giving the weak, slow bandages another purpose: Stopping said bleeding. It's a maybe, but such a feature surely isn't helping the comparisons Scavver's been getting to Hideous Destructor lol.
Abba Zabba wrote:Forgot to complement on the dirty zombie coats (I'm assuming they're still supposed to be scientists, right?)
I'm blaming the dirty look on how Translation works and how limited Doom's palette is (Seriously like half the colors in Doom's palette is either grey or brown!)
Abba Zabba wrote:However...I'd horizontally mirror/flip the new .45 sprite so that it's muzzle faces to the right like all the other handguns (and all other guns, to my knowledge?) Just for consistency's sake.
Good point. Easy thing to take care of.
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Spoiler: it seemed just spaced and tall enough of a post to get boxed up
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Spoiler: Response
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Should the impact bomb generate any shrapnel, or is it just for frags, barrels, and the cybruiser's bouncy ZDoom pipe grenade? Just so all shrapnel is accounted for by next update. Speaking of the Cybruiser, though...I had an evil thought of an additional attack where it launched a capsule of hostile ground-bound manhacks like the one you can find as an item. Would have to be small, low health targets like imp trites, though...but man they would be even more efficient and ruthless for targetting players behind cover then the bouncy grenades.

Would recommend adding just a wee tad more damage to the steel knuckle upgrade. Haven't tested steel-toed boot upgrade yet.

Lastly, I'd double all current scope zoom levels from what they are now, they're just vastly underpowered. Doubling from their current zoom levels is still a ways off from getting to that fine grid-like snapping (due scope of player aiming being no finer of a control at such extreme zoom levels) you can notice with high powered scopes like the ones in Hideous Destructor. I use that sniper variant of the 5mm rifle more now, and the zoom is next to nothing. While on the other end, that heavy sniper rifle's highest zoom power would still be easy to use if doubled from current level.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Abba Zabba wrote:Should the impact bomb generate any shrapnel, or is it just for frags, barrels, and the cybruiser's bouncy ZDoom pipe grenade? Just so all shrapnel is accounted for by next update.
Yes it does. Currently all explosives except for the barrels generate shrapnel, including cybruiser grenades, cyber baron rockets, and cyberdemon rockets. Even the flame bomb generates a small amount of shrapnel from the canister being burst open to let out its payload. Still haven't got a clue why barrels don't generate shrapnel.
Abba Zabba wrote:Speaking of the Cybruiser, though...I had an evil thought of an additional attack where it launched a capsule of hostile ground-bound manhacks like the one you can find as an item. Would have to be small, low health targets like imp trites, though...but man they would be even more efficient and ruthless for targetting players behind cover then the bouncy grenades.
Oh that is MEAN. Something like that would be too difficult to fight against if it were hostile versions of the player-usable swarmer pods. Though if we were to go for just straight up copies of manhacks, that would be easier. Might do, might do.
Abba Zabba wrote:Would recommend adding just a wee tad more damage to the steel knuckle upgrade. Haven't tested steel-toed boot upgrade yet.
I plan on toying around with balancing the fisticuffs out once I'm back into playtesting this thing. From my experience the reinforced boots aren't too overpowered to be overly useful, but not too underpowered to basically be useless. I do agree with you on the knuckles though.
Abba Zabba wrote:Lastly, I'd double all current scope zoom levels from what they are now, they're just vastly underpowered. Doubling from their current zoom levels is still a ways off from getting to that fine grid-like snapping (due scope of player aiming being no finer of a control at such extreme zoom levels) you can notice with high powered scopes like the ones in Hideous Destructor. I use that sniper variant of the 5mm rifle more now, and the zoom is next to nothing. While on the other end, that heavy sniper rifle's highest zoom power would still be easy to use if doubled from current level.
Noted! Will also toy around with this.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Took a peek of current version of version 1.5 and compared it to when I started (with slow, bouncy shrapnel) of version 1.0; I noticed you applied the +HITOWNER flag and I'm wondering if it's consuming all the shrapnel on itself, somehow? The wiki mentions to take careful note of this. I can't see anything else that sticks out. Bizarre.

Would recommend lowering the chance of spawning a proper chaingunner that can spawn from the chaingunguy actor replacer, along with giving him 10 more HP to better represent his thick armor and large frame.

Any chance in the future of making the 9mm SMG use the custom in universe 9x20mm 'Slugger' round (Browning Long?), for consistency's sake? Maybe slight damage tweak and abundance change to reflect this?

Also, I forgot to mention this early on, but burn damage from immolated enemies running into stuff (including you) is way too high for what it is, and on top of that, imp resistance to fire is next to nothing. I'd leave non-fire based demons alone in terms of adding fire resistance, but imps get set ablaze like ironic tinderboxes.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”