Scavver's Paradise V2.3.1 - A Survival Horror Mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

AMMO: Should ammunition have weight?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:11 pm

1) Yes! Make the ammo harness reduce reloading speed.
36%
2) Nah! Keep the hard ammo caps and weightlessness plz.
14%
3) Both! Make it a CVAR that players can toggle as desired. (DUNNO If I can accomplish this!)
50%

Total votes: 14

Whoah

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.0 A Survival Horror Mod

Post by Whoah »

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying this mod! It's a nice challenge without being as involved as a lot of the other realism/survival mods out there. I do have a couple critiques though:

-Some weapons could stand to have some more visual flair. Some of the animations are kinda choppy while others are super smooth, particularly with the breach-loaded shotguns. A little more feedback when shooting could be nice too.
-An option to turn off auto reloading for the guns would be nice. I personally don't like auto reloading (or auto firing for that matter) in slower paced mods like this, so the option to turn either of those off would be great.
-Not a big one, but manual pumping for the pump shotguns would be really cool in my opinion.
-ALSO not a big one, but that machete could really use a new idle sprite so it doesn't look like I'm holding a butter knife.

But yeh, great work dude! You got a really good thing goin. I look forward to being able to use that new HUD in the next update.
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Whoah wrote:-Some weapons could stand to have some more visual flair. Some of the animations are kinda choppy while others are super smooth, particularly with the breach-loaded shotguns. A little more feedback when shooting could be nice too.
Sadly with the weapon visuals there's only so much that I can do with my skillset. Graphics design is something I'm not experienced with so the fluidity of weapon animations depends mostly on the source of where the sprites came from. The main thing I can think of to smooth animations out is to offset the sprites between key frames to increase fluidity, though it will still look rather choppy due to a limited amount of key frames. What're some ways I can increase weapon feedback, though?
Whoah wrote:-An option to turn off auto reloading for the guns would be nice. I personally don't like auto reloading (or auto firing for that matter) in slower paced mods like this, so the option to turn either of those off would be great.
That is something that's been biting me in the ass with recent play testing, actually. Probably wouldn't take too long to do, either.
Whoah wrote:-ALSO not a big one, but that machete could really use a new idle sprite so it doesn't look like I'm holding a butter knife.
Also a limitation of the sprites available to me, but I definitely agree.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.1 A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

So it appears that Weight Based weapon limiting is leading the polls! While voting is currently still going on, I've gone ahead and worked the weapon limiter system in. I'm going ahead and uploading the updated mod with the weight limiter system to see what you lot think of it! If it turns out more people prefer the old way I'll upload a version of the mod with the old limiter system in place as well as all the new features and fixes.

> Me over a week ago: Fuck's sake, finally done coding in guns, let's work on fine tuning.
> Me now: Hey let's add a new gun.

And most importantly, a brand spanking new HUD! Snazzy and somewhat minimalist, giving the player all the information that they need, and FINALLY secondary attacks on the 5.45mm assault rifle and the 7.62mm battle rifle show up on hud.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 18/1/21) (NOTE: THIS UPDATE WILL BREAK SAVES DUE TO NEW ACS SCRIPTS AND SUCH.)

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by CaptainNurbles on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

CaptainNurbles wrote:Sadly with the weapon visuals there's only so much that I can do with my skillset. Graphics design is something I'm not experienced with so the fluidity of weapon animations depends mostly on the source of where the sprites came from. The main thing I can think of to smooth animations out is to offset the sprites between key frames to increase fluidity, though it will still look rather choppy due to a limited amount of key frames. What're some ways I can increase weapon feedback, though?
I was thinking just some offset tweaking to make firing the guns feel a little more impactful, or adding subtle impact sounds when your shots hit an enemy. I suppose weapon feedback wasn't the most optimal term to use, but you get what I mean.

Also, minor bug report. I killed a rifle zombie who dropped a lever action rifle and a handful of .357 bullets, but upon picking up the bullets, I only got 1 instead of 6. I then tried just summoning the same ammo pickup through the console and it gave me the full 6. Also being able to see my full inventory bar when cycling through items would be nice as it helps me select stuff when under pressure. Other than that, great update! I'm having a lotta fun with this and am really digging the new HUD
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Whoah wrote:I was thinking just some offset tweaking to make firing the guns feel a little more impactful, or adding subtle impact sounds when your shots hit an enemy.
Shouldn't be too hard! I'll look into this.
Whoah wrote:Also, minor bug report. I killed a rifle zombie who dropped a lever action rifle and a handful of .357 bullets, but upon picking up the bullets, I only got 1 instead of 6. I then tried just summoning the same ammo pickup through the console and it gave me the full 6.
If I were to wager a guess here it's probably because of how Doom handles ammo when dropped by an enemy (Eg. Shotguns picked up from the floor give 8 shells, but 4 when grabbed from shotgunguys. Chainguns give 20 bullets off the floor, 10 from chaingunguys.) If that were the case it should give 3, not 1. Could just have them drop 6 individual bullets instead, which would also prevent wasting a pickup of 6 if all you need is 4. I'll look into it.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Yeah that might explain it. Individual pickups for each round might be the way to go for the single-loaded guns to prevent the issues you mentioned. Plus it just makes sense from a realism standpoint. Oh, also, while playing I discovered the P-46 can be reloaded without needing a spare mag as long as it isn't empty
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Whoah wrote:Oh, also, while playing I discovered the P-46 can be reloaded without needing a spare mag as long as it isn't empty
I've tested this and have been unable to replicate it. Is there anything else you're doing while you're able to reload without spare magazines?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found the issue and fixed it. I wasn't able to replicate it because I would IDKFA myself everything. The code was checking for 10mmPMags in the Partial Reload sequence, which caused it to reload when you don't have spare mags, and prevented me from initially finding the error because my inventory had 10mm pistol mags. Fixed.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

The updates are too fast for me to catch! Great work, I think that new HUD suits the mod quite well, I enjoy minimalist style HUDS with plenty of info and good spacing (not lumped in a pile on the bottom center of the screen blocking the gun view sprites).
Spoiler: Big post so I condensed it some.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Abba Zabba wrote:However, I did have a bug that may or may not have been fixed already, and it's the aforementioned automatic rifle with the masterkey underslung shotgun; I picked up the rifle, with no rifle mags for it, but a handful of 20ga. shells. I went about my business using it normally, and tried use the masterkey shotgun, but it failed to fire. The default 4/4 shells was loaded, but unusable. However, once I reloaded the main rifle, then switched back to the masterkey shotgun, it fired. Not sure what logic was locking me out of using it when it was both fully loaded and with my person carrying 20ga. shells in reserve.
Actually caught this one like an hour before you initially posted the comment! But,
Abba Zabba wrote:Edit: It seems like this is related to dropping the weapon in the shotgun mode, logic I'm guessing is because the rifle mode is the main, default mode. Luckily, your nice new HUD illustrated this by chance, so I caught it. When this bug happens, both modes are selected and highlighted in green, but the fire mode is the shotgun, whereas the reload mode is the rifle. This is likely the bug I had before.
This is something I have NOT caught.

The initial glitch of being unable to fire the shotgun when the rifle is empty was because of bad coding on my part. When I first added the shotgun I didn't know there was a flag to make an attack not use primary ammo, and the shotgun would indeed use rifle ammo as well as shotgun rounds when firing. Quick fix at the time was just have it give one rifle round after firing so that you have a net loss of no rifle rounds and one shell. This led to the weirdness of being unable to fire the shotgun when your mag is empty. Very easy fix, good and done.

However, the reason why both the ammo counters were green when you dropped it on shotgun mode and then picked it up is because when picked up the rifle also gives you a Token which tells the game "when I hit the fire button, shoot the rifle, not the shotgun." This also explains the issue you have with the 6.2mm rifle and the auto pistol as they do similar things with their alternate firing functions. Could probably work around this by messing with the starting inventory of player classes.
Abba Zabba wrote:Suggestion I'd have would be to greatly increase the speed of barrel shrapnel, because as of now, they act like highly dangerous low gravity bouncy balls of death that hurt me way after I think they'd be cleared or despawned.
Agreed, actually. Easy fix.
Abba Zabba wrote:dropping the land mine 'weapon' creates an actor with a land mine value of 1, so you can abuse this to generate land mine ammo. Frag grenades and impact bombs are unaffected.
Noted! I think I know roughly why.
Abba Zabba wrote:Flame bombs count as 3 pounds, but seem to have a pickup weight requirement of 0, effectively meaning you have to drop everything to pick them up, then scoop up all of your equipment.
Fixed this last night actually! This was, like many issues I've had to fix in the mod, due to lazy copying and pasting lol.
Abba Zabba wrote:And another BIG recommendation I'd like to suggest would be to add the classic 'hold use to pickup' mechanic a lot of ZDoom mods had/have
I actually did get permission to implement Argv's Use to Pickup mod directly into mine, and I did attempt the integration to no success. I plan on giving it another go once I handle other matters with the mod. I'd try coding something like that myself, but I know BUGGER ALL about ZScript and my attempts to look into learning it left me feeling dizzy.

Super appreciate the bug reporting, man! Goes to show I should really stop shoving these updates out as fast as I am lol.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

CaptainNurbles wrote:
chronoteeth wrote:honestly the only issue that we got with this mod is that a lot of the weapons dont feel too fun to use, but other than that this is super good, love it
Glad to hear you enjoy it man!

What would you say could make the weapons feel more fun?
like what whoah said, a lot of weapons need some more like, design flair and personality. theres a buncha overused sprites that get in the way, and the consistency/animations between them are too different. if u have a hard time finding anything new or want to spruce up stuff, peepin in the spriting carnival or the resources area can show a plethora of sprites to use!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

So, I greatly appreciate this mod existing because I myself have been meaning to do something similar, albeit on a much more conservative scale. Nonetheless, this mod is EXACTLY what has been missing and I really am liking this mod. Not in love yet though.

My critiques:
Spoiler:
Liking a lot of what i'm seeing.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Spoilering this one since it is LONG AS FUGG.
Spoiler:
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Bug: the P-46 (UAC 4.66mm pistol) displays TS-12 (10mm military pistol) frames on deselect.

Oh, and are there any particular controls listed anywhere? At first I didn't know that reload was an alternate melee attack for some weapons. And a dedicated kick key would be great.
CaptainNurbles

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Abba Zabba wrote:Oh, and are there any particular controls listed anywhere? At first I didn't know that reload was an alternate melee attack for some weapons. And a dedicated kick key would be great.
At the moment there are no special keybindings, with Reload and Altfire being the only extra binds needed for functionality. Tempted to add a dedicated button for ammo scrapping, but not sure if that would be needed if and when I convert all the weapons to ZScript... SOMETIME in the future (likely not soon.)

A dedicated kick attack on all guns would be real handy to have, but a right pain in the ass to implement on 50 guns. It's certainly tempting! But I'll look into working it in once I iron out a few more things with the sound design and balancing.
CaptainNurbles

Re: Scavver's Paradise V1.15 - A Survival Horror Mod

Post by CaptainNurbles »

New update is out! Bug fixes galore and more sound design! New monster pain sounds, weapon impact sound effects, etc. Most importantly, more balancing with supplies, melee weapon damages, and some changes with monster damage. Shouldn't break your saves if you're updating from the last version to this one.

DOWNLOAD HERE (Updated 20/1/21)

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”