[minimod][v0.7.2] Gearbox - weapon/inventory handling

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: [minimod][v0.2] Gearbox - weapon selection mod

Post by m8f »

Dark-Assassin wrote:With the wheel menu enabled, just regular scrolling through also wants to use the mouse for input which is extremely uncomfortable. IMO mouse input should only be used when opening the menu via bind rather than weapon selection override.
Set Wheel Mouse Input to Off and load this little addon that adds a new key bind.
gearbox-mouse-only-by-keybind.pk3
(323 Bytes) Downloaded 64 times
Dark-Assassin wrote:Also, a VM abort happens when you try to active the menu with no weapons.
Thanks for reporting. Investigating.

Edit: fixed in devbuild.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Nice. I'll definitely start using this mod instead of PyWeaponWheel some time in the future. Right now, though, it's missing time-freeze and ammo/name of the chosen weapon, which are the things I like too much to give up, I guess.
m8f

Post by m8f »

Bodhisattva wrote:ammo/name of the chosen weapon
I'm still thinking about where and how to display that.

Small update: v0.2.1

New:
  • General: time freeze (optional)
  • Wheel: better indication of selected weapon/slot
  • Wheel: an option to select font
  • Wheel: made colored tint on weapons optional
Fixes:
  • General: fix multiplayer synchronization
  • General: no more VM abort when the player has no weapons at all
  • General: selecting immediately when there is only one weapon in slot didn't check the presence in inventory
  • General: better reaction to slot keys in some circumstances
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Mainly possible because Malice has extra attack functions, but the time-freeze is exploitable. Is there a way to freeze player movement and possibly the use of certain keys?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [minimod][v0.2.1] Gearbox - weapon selection mod

Post by wildweasel »

Just stumbled upon a VM abort while running this with Hexen and no other mods:

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero.
Called from gb_Activity.isWeapons at /home/weasel/wads/gearbox/:zscript/activity.zs
This can be reproduced reliably by loading Hexen and passing through any level transition. Just confirmed this with the latest Git master as of 2 minutes ago.
StraightWhiteMan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by StraightWhiteMan »

This truly is an awesome mod. It's obviously similar to PyWeaponWheel, but visually more appealing and it a lot more compatible with other mods as well. The only thing that I'm not really digging about the mod is how it feels when you are selecting a weapon. I use the wheel setup, and the selection movement when selecting a weapon is super awkward. If you were able to move the mouse in the direction of the weapon you want to select in the wheel, it would feel 100% better.
m8f

Post by m8f »

TheRailgunner wrote:the time-freeze is exploitable. Is there a way to freeze player movement and possibly the use of certain keys?
I've tried a couple of ways to prevent player input while the Gearbox is opened, but it seems there is no easy and reliable way to do that. It's possible that time freeze will remain exploitable.
wildweasel wrote:Just stumbled upon a VM abort while running this with Hexen and no other mods
Thanks for the heads up! Fixed in master.
StraightWhiteMan wrote:If you were able to move the mouse in the direction of the weapon you want to select in the wheel, it would feel 100% better.
I'm sorry, but the cursor input model is one of the building blocks of mod's architecture. I cannot change the input model without rewriting the whole thing :( The main problem with your suggestion is to make the new input work with multiwheel. So, most likely it won't happen.
Talon1024

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

You can use Level.setFrozen instead of a time freeze powerup. Also, I would suggest setting +NOGRAVITY on the player mobj, setting CF_FROZEN or CF_TOTALLYFROZEN on player.cheats while the time freeze is active, saving the player's previous velocity, and setting the player's velocity to (0,0,0) while the gearbox is open.
StraightWhiteMan
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by StraightWhiteMan »

m8f wrote:I'm sorry, but the cursor input model is one of the building blocks of mod's architecture. I cannot change the input model without rewriting the whole thing :( The main problem with your suggestion is to make the new input work with multiwheel. So, most likely it won't happen.
Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Totally fine too, it was just an if possible suggestion. I'll just have to get more used to it is all.
mamaluigisbagel
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

I really like the multi wheel but one thing that slightly bugs me is how weapons only group together once you obtain a certain number of them. Can there be a toggle for this? (ie a mode where they'll group up even with less weapons)
krutomisi

Post by krutomisi »

minor fyi but just in case you weren't aware the extras.wad distributed with the unity ports of doom/doom2 includes HUD-like weapon graphics

figured it might be of use thru daisychaining if you implement the options for using different icon sets
Attachments
extras.png
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I don't know if this is an issue that happens with the Wheel selector, but it seem like Gearbox is interfering with IDCLEV (number keys in the cheat code pull up the weapon selection menu instead). It occurs even if the "automatically switch if only weapon in slot" option is set.

As far as immobilizing the player during time freeze is concerned, I might look into how Corruption Cards does it - it seems to handle holding the player in place and preventing unwarranted inputs fairly well.
m8f

Post by m8f »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:I really like the multi wheel but one thing that slightly bugs me is how weapons only group together once you obtain a certain number of them. Can there be a toggle for this? (ie a mode where they'll group up even with less weapons)
TheRailgunner wrote:As far as immobilizing the player during time freeze is concerned, I might look into how Corruption Cards does it - it seems to handle holding the player in place and preventing unwarranted inputs fairly well.
Version 0.2.2.

New:
- Wheel: multiwheel engagement weapon number slider;
- Wheel: new background graphics.

Fixed:
- VM abort in hubs;
- exploiting time freezing (thanks to Talon1024);
- engaging Gearbox while dead.

krutomisi wrote:minor fyi but just in case you weren't aware the extras.wad distributed with the unity ports of doom/doom2 includes HUD-like weapon graphics
Thanks for the tip! I'll think about how to add them. Probably when patches system is ready.
TheRailgunner wrote:I don't know if this is an issue that happens with the Wheel selector, but it seem like Gearbox is interfering with IDCLEV (number keys in the cheat code pull up the weapon selection menu instead). It occurs even if the "automatically switch if only weapon in slot" option is set.
Thanks for the heads up! Will look into this later.
Dark-Assassin

Re: [minimod][v0.2.2] Gearbox - weapon selection mod

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Still getting VM aborts with no weapons with the wheel menu.

Code: Select all

VM execution aborted: division by zero.
Called from gb_WheelInnerIndexer.getSelectedIndex at gearbox-v0.2.2.pk3:zscript/wheel/inner_indexer.zs, line 29
Called from gb_WheelIndexer.Update at gearbox-v0.2.2.pk3:zscript/wheel/indexer.zs, line 110
Called from gb_EventHandler.RenderOverlay at gearbox-v0.2.2.pk3:zscript/event_handler.zs, line 206
m8f

Re: [minimod][v0.2.2] Gearbox - weapon selection mod

Post by m8f »

Thanks for the heads up! Fixed in master again.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”