List of files needed for each game?

JPL

List of files needed for each game?

Post by JPL »

I have old CDs / installs of some of the Build engine games, and I'd like to fire those up with Raze. I'd rather copy over only the files Raze needs, eg not Blood's copy of DOS4GW.EXE and whatever. ScummVM has a page that lists the files it needs for each supported game, is there anything comparable for the games Raze supports?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: List of files needed for each game?

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's a bit tricky because some of these games keep their movies on the CD.
Aside from that, for all games except Blood, all you need is the .GRP files, the intro movies for Redneck Rides Again and Powerslave/Exhumed and the CD Audio music for RR, SW and Exhumed. In the case of NAM, though, the main .CON file is not in the . GRP and also needs to be copied, but that's the only exception here.

For Blood, NBlood has a list of needed files here: https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood That doesn't include the movies and CD Audio, though, which need to be copied separately.
For Duke World Tour I recommend not messing with it at all, it's too easy to delete some necessary files.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The GOG distribution of Twin Dragon is a bunch of loose files in a /dragon/ subfolder of the Shadow Warrior Complete installation. Raze doesn't detect it, since it expects a TWINDRAG.GRP file. It might be worth it to add a specialcasing of it like there are for Cryptic Passage and Route 66.

That question comes up often enough that I've included the info on the [wiki]Raze[/wiki] article, though it probably needs some double-checking.
Phredreeke

Post by Phredreeke »

TWINDRAG.GRP? For me it's named TD.GRP (which I got from SW Classic Redux)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The one I got was named twindrag.grp, dated 2007-09-18. Apparently there's both names floating around, not to mention the messy folder based option in the GOG release.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

I started using Raze last week and would have created this topic if JP had not. I was surprised how little setup documentation there was so far.

For anyone wondering about Shadow Warrior Twin Dragon, this seems to be working: TD.grp and tdcustom.txt in main SW folder, and a /dragon subfolder with the rest of its .MAP/.VOC/.ANIM etc. files. (I assume twindrag.grp would work the same way.) As for Wanton Destruction, just WT.GRP , wtcustom.txt, and Wanton.dat are in the main SW folder, with no subfolders needed. [updated as per Graf's comment]

Duke3D Atomic Edition's expansions seem to work fine if you put dukedc.grp, nwinter.grp, and vacation.grp in the main Duke3D Atomic Edition folder, and the expansions' other files in dc, nw, and vacation subfolders.
Last edited by Alexandra on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The main problem with the documentation is that we do not know what distributions exist. The only usable one as reference is the one from GOG - this one should work out of the box if Raze can find the GOG install path. This one already contains both add-ons.

For the add-ons with other installations all you need is to copy the wt.grp and twindrag.grp files into your SW folder - you do not need any additional files, i.e. no ??custom.txt or any .dat files.
Why is there no list of files? Well, because the assumption is that you install the game somewhere and either put the Raze files into the same folder or set up the search path. Even though it is possible, it is generally not recommended to pick the installations apart.

Post by Guest »

I see. Some users like to consolidate apps/games into neat folders/subfolders and preserve disk space, so that's been my motivation. Got them pretty trimmed down now.

re: available releases
I have access to all the Steam releases; let me know if complete filelists would be helpful.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

[oops, got logged out and submitted this reply anon at first.]
I see. Some users like to consolidate apps/games into neat folders/subfolders and preserve disk space, so that's been my motivation. Got them pretty trimmed down now.

re: available distributions
I have access to all the Steam releases; let me know if complete filelists would be helpful.

Edit: come to think of it, it would take some digging, but I also have '90s retail discs for Duke Atomic, SW, Blood, and (heh) TekWar / Witchaven. I wouldn't be surprised if some ISOs are on archive dot org, too.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

'Yes, there's lots of versions available. But we are not that concerned about optimizing storage. The important thing is that users can install the game and then point the search path to these folders.

Return to “General”