Hexen HD 2020 (Release)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AndrewMRX
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Hexen HD 2020 (Release)

Post by AndrewMRX »

Hello.
This is enhanced original textures + PBR + relight maps+particles effects.
Screens

Video
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsu3jB71vlo&t=271s[/youtube]

Download: ModDB.com

For better compatibility with ohter gameplay mods use this wad file instead HEXENREMADE.wad
Last edited by AndrewMRX on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 8 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Hexen HD 2020 (Coming Soon)

Post by NightFright »

The ice caves look fantastic. As for the stone floors, maybe you could make them less glossy. I don't think old stone surfaces are that shiny.

Other than that, this looks like a very competent and visually appealing overhaul so far.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I'd also caution about making the wood and various ground/dirt textures too glossy, too.
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

I think it all Looks fantastic to me.
P_e_B

Post by P_e_B »

It´s a very impressive result. Good job. :D
RafaHell

Post by RafaHell »

NightFright wrote:The ice caves look fantastic. As for the stone floors, maybe you could make them less glossy. I don't think old stone surfaces are that shiny.
Wet stone walls/floors... mmmm yummy... makes me wanna lick it...
Seriously, wet stone walls n' floors are fine. It's pretty much expected dungeon moistness/dampness.
Chris wrote:I'd also caution about making the wood and various ground/dirt textures too glossy, too.
This is true though. Wood and dirt shouldn't gloss...

That said, this is looking extremely sexy !!
Any release date window to entice us? I'd love to go through Hexen again with this new coating...
MalcolmCZ

Post by MalcolmCZ »

well this is pretty sick tbh
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Aaaawwwwweeesome.. can't wait to finally use PBR with Hexen ..
Already use it in doom and heretic ..looks amazing.
And Hexen mods with PBR would be sick !
Valken

Post by Valken »

Oh my Gosh....
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Mmmm more HD PBR overhaul *Insert ahego face*
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

This looks pretty awesome indeed. I would agree with not making things too glossy.

Also make sure that individual stones of walls are not too embossed; this kind of thing looks fine straight on from a distance, but looks increasingly bizarre as you get closer with a more oblique angle: the stones look like they should fall out of the wall. Its very dodgy if you look at the right wall on the second image closely (in Winnowing Hall), those bricks shouldn't be able to bear the load of the wall since they jut out too much.

Although less noticable, the same warning applies to floor tiles. A floor is useless if it looks like you should be tripping over and stubbing your toe on it every five seconds. I mean, would you want an uneven floor in your kitchen? :shock:

If you've been to a medieval castle or dungeon that still has the original floors (I have been to lots and even worked in one, I'm British and there's quite a few here, lol), you'll see that the floors are usually very worn down. Hell, you can see it in pedestrianised modern areas after 3-5 years of people being there. Such floors SHOULD NOT be sticking out at all, and will only be glossy due to damp or rain.
AndrewMRX

Post by AndrewMRX »

Some textures is not looking good with low gloss. I am using Normal/Metallic/Roughness/AO system.

But I can use Normal/Specular only.

If you critic this, I will remake this one. But i like first variant. :mrgreen:

For comparison.

eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Yep, personally I'd say go with the Normal/Specular option. But I may be in the minority there.

I'm not 100% sure on how PBR works in general; but the whole 'making it somewhat less embossed' comment still applies to all of the images. Maybe 20% or so less. That's actually more important the gloss, though I don't know if that came across when I said it before (or whether its even possible).

Also, seeing as though I'm the Walpurgis author; my main request would actually be provide a textures/flats only version so it can still interface with Hexen gameplay mods like mine, but you shouldn't feel as though thats essential by any means.
AndrewMRX

Post by AndrewMRX »

You can downsize the relief, if you want. Just reduse the contrast of displacement texture.
I'll leave it as it is
Example.

This is more complex variant with normalmap editing.

I'am working on GZ4.3.3. I think, i should rework it for newer versions of GZDooM, because Walpurgis doesn't work on 4.3.3 :D
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Yeah, I had to move up to 4.4 to use the features of A_StartSound (which are really useful, but in turn kill backwards compatibilty), and then 4.5 recently breaks gameplay mod menus horribly unless you update your code for them, which is turn destroys backwards compatibility again.

Sadtimes; but Graf won't relent of that kind of stuff.

But yeah, those last shots are the best ones.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”