DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES (REDUX RERELEASE)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Joblez_I
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES (REDUX RERELEASE)

Post by Joblez_I »

Dead Men Tell No Tales is a (sort of?) total conversion mod that tells the tale of a man kidnapped by a cult. It's only 3 levels long and as such
I say "sort of" total conversion mod. Made in a month for Benpaste's 2020 Doom modding competition, it won first place.

Update, 12/26/21: I decided to come back and fix a lot of little inconsistencies and issues with the original DMTNT and make a redux rerelease.
The redux features re-written dialogue, new lore, new code for bullet casings and visual effects, new player sprites, and better visual clarity.
Both versions are still available to download.

DOWNLOAD THE MOD HERE: https://www.mediafire.com/file/f249aodi ... X.pk3/file

original contest release: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeOdoU ... sp=sharing

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NmKnsGCIFg LINK TO THE MOD'S OST (I composed it myself)
Requires Gzdoom 4.7 or higher to run.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Backstory:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Joblez_I on Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.
SLON

Re: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES

Post by SLON »

One bug finded

Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Done on Hardest difficulty. It was short but its atmosphere and musics were great!
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I have two complaints.

One, the assault rifle can't be tap fired fast. Maybe that's intentional.

Two, the mod ends too soon :D
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

StroggVorbis wrote:I have two complaints.

One, the assault rifle can't be tap fired fast. Maybe that's intentional.

Two, the mod ends too soon :D
Yeah, I had rushed the ending a bit because of the due date, this whole mod was made in about a month for a wad contest and I only had about 2 days before the due date to get the ending made. It's a bit unfortunate, but time constraints can do that, I hope you enjoyed the mod regardless :)
yaboi

Post by yaboi »

fantastic little mod, very creepy atmosphere, would love to see a sequel!
Dreingon
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dreingon »

Here i was browsing ZDoom Forums on a really nice day with the sun shining and i found one fucking amazing total conversion. I loved this mod and i hope there will be a expansion maybe ?
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Hi There ..thanks a lot for your amazing mod ..
I'd really love to get a dlc for that ..

https://youtu.be/jSiseEQbuec

Also here is a short video showcase .. Maybe you like it ..
CurtisTheDoc

Post by CurtisTheDoc »

You made this in a month? Well, color me easily impressed. For 3 levels only, the amount of detail that I see went into this is very impressive.
I hope more people see this!
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

The music playlist you linked is Badass! Quality stuff.

Downloading! Cant wait to fire this up!

Many thanks.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Very cool and atmospheric maps. I can see how this won first place well done. A sequel would be fun.

Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

t
Last edited by Joblez_I on Sun May 09, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigbad75
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Bigbad75 »

You can kill the squirrel's this is the best doom mod ever made
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very impressive and exciting TC. The weapons are very satisfying to use and it has story even. I do really hope you're working on this TC because i think it has potential to be much greater! But you're the boss.
Spoiler: And here are some feedback
This TC is very smooth, solid and really original! Weapon sound effects and animations are top notch as well. It's so satisfying that i really want to play this as weapon mod, if it's possible!
Joblez_I

Post by Joblez_I »

Captain J wrote:Very impressive and exciting TC. The weapons are very satisfying to use and it has story even. I do really hope you're working on this TC because i think it has potential to be much greater! But you're the boss.
Spoiler: And here are some feedback
This TC is very smooth, solid and really original! Weapon sound effects and animations are top notch as well. It's so satisfying that i really want to play this as weapon mod, if it's possible!
i appreciate the amount of detail you've put into this post! a lot of the weird, little inconsistencies were due to time constraints. since this mod was made in a month and i worked on it until the last day i had, not all of the issues with the mod have been solved. as well as this, i really feel like i didn't flesh out and use most of the enemies to their full potential, and so i think some enemies are a little overrepresented, like the spellcaster enemy you mentioned, and others that are underrepresented, like the hellknight statue or the machinegun cultists.

originally, the revolver was going to be your first weapon before i decided against it. the slow firing speed made it unfun to use, so i went on to make the pistol instead. the truth is that i didn't really balance it as well as i should, and i do agree the revolver could either be buffed or made to shoot faster. the original idea for it was that, by design, you're not really meant to use it after you get the shotgun, since it's a weapon i wasn't sure how to implement in the balance; honestly it's just not well balanced, and in retrospect, i'd change it.

some of the weapon quirks were on purpose (i like the fact the shotgun always dispenses a casing, it was supposed to be akin to the shotgun in COD MW1). in retrospect though, i think my decision to change the magazine size on the m16 to be 50 was due to some criticisms of naku-naru's weapons, being you'd have to reload so quickly that it made using some of the weapons less fun than they could be in that mod, and making sure the same couldn't be said of the m16 in this. this really wasn't a good concern to try to address i think in this because it's designed differently enough to the original doom this becomes a problem. looking at it now, i'd probably lower the magazine count a bit since it really made the m16 become the workhorse weapon over the shotgun, which i don't think makes it balanced since the idea is to use them both equally for different encounters.

as for that strange map glitch in level 2, i'm still not really sure what causes that in the architecture. there must be some conflicting lines there to cause that.

i think, at some point in time, i'd like to patch and maybe expand the mod a little. i don't currently have the intent to add any new levels (really, i feel like dead men tell no tales works as a short game because it's a short story), but i'd like to fix a lot of these little issues the mod has.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”