[Release] Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jaska
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Release] Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction!

Post by Jaska »

Post feedback & bug reports here! This is introduction to the projects new gameplay features.

This mod should have "something for everyone".

Main "selling" point of the mod is being able to watch and play beach soccer with demons!

Play some beach soccer!

There is also dynamically breaking environment, player can climb to ledges and inventory items(optional). Goal: to keep player interested all the time. Many gameplay options on every major area. Fast paced combat with exploration. Trying to maximize interaction with the world and give the feeling it being alive.

Dynamically destroyable environment:

Nice looking environments including a construction site.

-Two gameplay options.
Puzzley way with dialogs and NPCs.
or straightforward shoot everything on your way as what Doom is all about. (removes all above)
-Two monster tiers
Play with custom monsters. There is 5 difficulty options varying from "walking simulator" to very hard.
or play "Doom2 monsters only" with one difficulty being implemented like basic Ultra-violence. (mostly for gameplay mods)

Thoughts:
Spoiler:
Installation. Get newest GZDoom:
https://www.zdoom.org/downloads

Download zip v0.4 :
19.11.2020 minor fixes
-Axe is faster and does more damage on 2nd attack.
-Got rid of secondary scope on sniper and it's even more faster.
-Supply crates are now implemented much more better way
-Balancing

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rkt3f5g36 ... 4.zip/file
Mirror:
https://files.fm/u/h59xtma9t

Unzip it.

Drop PK3's to the GZDoom.exe or use you favourite mod-launcher. You should have Doom2.wad or Freedoom.wad in the game folder. I added Nash's Nasgore mod to download so pick it also.

Bind keys for inventory(use, drop,select), jumping, crouching and secondary fire. Bind key optionally for dropping weapons. Freelook intented, autoaim off. You should activate "alternate hud" from options before I figure out how to make my own hud.

More pics.
Spoiler:

Known bugs
Spoiler:
Why GZDoom or Doom anyway?
Spoiler:
Resource pack is quite nice, I think. Could there be a community project based on this?

Credits:
Spoiler:
Lost civilization 1, Boom-compatible.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68048

Donate:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Jaska on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Serathis

Re: [Release] Lost Civilization 2 part 1, the introduction!

Post by Serathis »

The camera sways left and right as if I was drunk, no idea whats causing it.
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

Serathis wrote:The camera sways left and right as if I was drunk, no idea whats causing it.
Fixed it, uploaded new version.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Super exciting to see a WIP release of this! I loved the first one so I will be checking this out soon and post my thoughts on it.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Damn man, you are like some sort of detailing guru. These hyper realistic environments in the Doom engine are really quite impressive. I hope to one day get to this point in my mapping.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Yes! Lost Civilization was right up there with the best gaming experiences I've had these past few years. Great pacing and that awesome ending. Can't wait to try this but I'm torn between playing it now or waiting until it's complete to play it all in one go.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I just started playing: it's too early to give my thoughts on it, however I have noticed that there does not appear to be any music in the mod thus far: I remember you mentioned for lost civ 1 that you didn't really play doom whilst using music, however I personally found the soundtrack for that wad to be absolutely great and fitting, so maybe you can find similar music to use for this one? Just a thought.
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

Thanks all! No need to wait gennoveus. This is quite short intro. I updated download links as there was some balancing issues.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Jaska wrote:Thanks all! No need to wait gennoveus. This is quite short intro. I updated download links as there was some balancing issues.
OK, you've convinced me! (I didn't need much convincing :D ) I'll download it now :)
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Wow, that was amazing and so much fun! Lots of great weapons and mechanics, and that amazing map is the star of the show. The level of detail is insane!

Just some friendly, constructive feedback if you are interested:
1) The climbing mechanic is really cool, but it's a bit inconsistent. Sometimes I can climb things, sometimes I can't. I can understand if programming it so you can climb dynamic objects is difficult, though.
2) The sniper rifle has two zoom modes which take quite a while to switch between. Makes it very slow to use. Maybe just have one zoom setting, and also allow the player to turn it on and off a bit faster?
3) Axe is very, very slow to swing so it made chopping down walls very slow and tedious. The actual mechanic of being able to chop through walls is super cool, though!
4) This last one is just a personal preference, but I feel the weapon switch speed is a touch slow.

That's all. This is just me nit-picking; it was so much fun and I can wait to play the rest. Thank you very much for the entertainment!
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Just finished playing the preview. It looks absolutely amazing, with some of the best architecture and prop usage out there. I would say the amount of custom enemies feels a little strange in that some of them (thinking for example about the mech-demon) don't really seem to offer much in the way of different behavior complated to the original. Some of the weapons (such as the single-shot gun you get at the beginning) also seem either fairly inaccurate or somewhat unreliable. These are minor complaints though, on the whole it was a superb experience, it did feel somewhat on the slow pace: maybe future levels can rely a bit less on enclosed spaces and more on large rooms or open areas, but either way, this is a promising start to what is - just as its predecessor had been - slated to become one of the best WADs ever. :wink:
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

gennoveus wrote:Wow, that was amazing and so much fun! Lots of great weapons and mechanics, and that amazing map is the star of the show. The level of detail is insane!

Just some friendly, constructive feedback if you are interested:
1) The climbing mechanic is really cool, but it's a bit inconsistent. Sometimes I can climb things, sometimes I can't. I can understand if programming it so you can climb dynamic objects is difficult, though.
2) The sniper rifle has two zoom modes which take quite a while to switch between. Makes it very slow to use. Maybe just have one zoom setting, and also allow the player to turn it on and off a bit faster?
3) Axe is very, very slow to swing so it made chopping down walls very slow and tedious. The actual mechanic of being able to chop through walls is super cool, though!
4) This last one is just a personal preference, but I feel the weapon switch speed is a touch slow.

That's all. This is just me nit-picking; it was so much fun and I can wait to play the rest. Thank you very much for the entertainment!
Thanks for the feedback!
1) That is one thing I'm thinking about. There should be some kind of flag to be set if thing is climbable... I got just so used to it I didn't even remember it. But it is inconsistent now.
2) True, I tried to speed it up a little.
3) True. I usually drop gasoline canister when going through wall
4) Yeah, It's the original speed.
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

Dynamo wrote:Just finished playing the preview. It looks absolutely amazing, with some of the best architecture and prop usage out there. I would say the amount of custom enemies feels a little strange in that some of them (thinking for example about the mech-demon) don't really seem to offer much in the way of different behavior complated to the original. Some of the weapons (such as the single-shot gun you get at the beginning) also seem either fairly inaccurate or somewhat unreliable. These are minor complaints though, on the whole it was a superb experience, it did feel somewhat on the slow pace: maybe future levels can rely a bit less on enclosed spaces and more on large rooms or open areas, but either way, this is a promising start to what is - just as its predecessor had been - slated to become one of the best WADs ever. :wink:
Thanks!
Mech is just for variation and it's sound effect. You expect something bad coming from the garage (and hopefully have spring mine in your hand). First shotgun is meant to force you close to the monsters and crave for a better one so you feel good to have one. Same is for other guns. Future levels are a bit more open and bigger, but big open areas are just difficult to make gameplaywise. And what you said earlier about the music, I'll think about it.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

This mappack is so damn amazing ..sadly it MELTS my smartphone..
I'll test it soon on my Galaxy tab S7 plus ... hopefully it'll work there
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

Small update. See 1st post.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”