[GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deon

[GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

Post by Deon »

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/pw2Cq77[/imgur]

Introduction
Here's my 2nd attempt (first being Devil's Hellfire found on this same forum). I've spent quite a bit of time working on maps, even though you can notice that I pay more attention to difficulty and less to details in the latest maps.

The goal is the following: make a mapset which follows these rules:
- The maps look good.
- The maps are compatible with any gameplay mod.
- The maps are not too long not to become bored.
- The maps are varied themes but follow each other logically.

Currently there are 6 maps:
- Spaceport
- Tunnels
- Service station
- Military base
- Bunker
- Imps on a train

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/JWf5kg3

This time I've tried to go with a style closer to original techbase, with my own take on smaller details and scripting, as usual.
The map is better enjoyed with gameplay mods which alter the difficulty and pace, like Doom EXP, Brutal Doom, Death Foretold etc.

How to play
- Download and run the mods from the list below.
- Start a new game and select "First contact" episode.

NB!
* The map is compatible with any gameplay mod.
* The map requires OTEX resource pack as it depends on it (WAD version).

You can find videos of the alpha version of first three maps here:

[/quote]

Download
- OTEX texture pack: https://doom.ukiro.com/otex-downloads/ (Use the .WAD download option, not .PK3)
- Map: http://www.mediafire.com/file/6nh58nqxz ... 5.pk3/file

Last edited by Deon on Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:05 am, edited 12 times in total.
BunnyWithBeans
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [GZDoom][OTEX] Spaceport - my 2nd mapping attempt

Post by BunnyWithBeans »

Overall this was a pretty fun map. Very small but it's only your second attempt at mapping so that's fine. I played through it three times: One time on Treasure Tech, another time on Treasure Tech on UV, and then with vanilla gameplay on UV. It was much more challenging using TT due to that mod's bigger focus on melee combat that requires you to get closer to the hitscanners when you run out of spare ammo for your guns. However, when changing from HMP to UV I didn't notice any difference and the map difficulty remained around the same.

Your map architecture is really well-done for a beginner, the map genuinely does feel like a futuristic techbase/spaceport where things have gone horribly wrong and everybody but you is dead. I especially liked that bit where you go through the security checkpoint and the doors close for a bit and then open to reveal an ambush of zombiemen.

The enemy variety is relatively low for a one-map WAD and it seems like you have at least some plans to develop this, what with the wad being packaged in its own episode instead of just being a replacement for a map in Hell on Earth. However, I ran into a weird bug where XMAP02 and XMAP03 were just repeats of XMAP01 despite being seperately defined. I'm on the latest version of GZDOOM (4.5.0) and have tried a slightly older version yet the maps still repeat. Other than that, the map provided was really good and I look forward to playing this if it turns into a full episode!
Deon

Post by Deon »

I've noticed that I've packed all 3 maps in all 3 wads I use for maps, just a small mistake on my part. If you play it as an episode you shouldnt notice it, but I have just reuploaded a smaller version with the same content which removes duplicates.

The enemy variety is relatively low for a reason: I am practicing to make a map like MAP1/2/3 of standard DOOM2. You can clearly see some rooms taking inspiration from original map (the room with a drop and an elevator with pinkies is quite similar to the one in Gantlet, the sewers following "arrivals" is a theme as well etc).

I do plan to continue the map, however I am pretty sure I am still too newbie for a megawad, so I will need to try my hand at more maps before I can produce something that both looks good and plays good.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

P.S. How is the difficulty of "puzzles"? I am trying to make the maps flow well and place everything naturally, so a person pressing a button would see a result leaving the room, however I am not sure if it's too easy or too hard at places, so I would like to hear about that.

P.P.S. Also that "low gravity" area is probably something I should avoid, right? It looked like a nice idea and I was happy I made it work, however it feels a bit frustrating not to have a normal level of movement control. Thoughts?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I loaded this with OTEX_1.1.pk3 and there were loads of missing textures - many of the OTEX textures showed up, but many others did not.

On a hunch, I tried it with OTEX_1.1.WAD and that works.

So, use the OTEX WAD and not the PK3.

Also, for information, with developer messages active:

Code: Select all

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 69:
Unknown class name 'DebrisPiece2' of type 'Actor'
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 70:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 71:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 72:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 88:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 89:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 90:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 91:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 107:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 108:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 109:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 110:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 126:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 127:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 128:
Script warning, "Spaceport1.0.pk3:actors/decoration.txt" line 129:
Deon

Post by Deon »

Yes, I've tried WAD and never tried PK3, thank you for mentioning, I will put it in the first post.

Also, you can ignore those errors, it's from an object I don't use in this map. I can clean it up if it bothers everyone, but otherwise it's not part of the map, it's just my resource I am working on.
Deon

Post by Deon »

I've taken your feedback, 1.2 version is uploaded.

- Improved lighting in some areas, especially noticeable in the last teleporter room.
- Corrected minor annoyances (door opening speed, 3d sector glitches when moving etc).
- Removed suffocation damage from low-gravity area: you won't die to suffocation while glued to the ceiling anymore.
- Added more floating debris to the low-gravity area for easier navigation.
- Added a couple more secrets.
- Rearranged some rooms to be more convenient/logical (i.e. maintenance/power node room in a back area instead of a shop front).
- Marked some of more aggressive/numerous monsters as unsuitable for SKILL1/SKILL2, so there's a map difficulty difference now when picking the game difficulty.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I just finished recording my video and a new version comes out lol. The maps are well made I like them and they are fun to play. The low gravity room was a cool idea I was floating around blasting then I died lol so good job removing the damage. It's also a bit of a pain trying to get back onto the bridge to continue. Maybe if the roof of the bridge was pushed back a bit so you can just float down onto it instead of threading the needle. Also, I grabbed the protective suit at the sewer part but it didn't seem to do anything and I still took damage. Other than that and using the OTEX Wad instead of PK3 I had a blast.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Hey Rex705.

Yeah, I thought about using rad suit to preserve air, but DOOM doesnt work like that unfortunately :).
I did put some debris you can bump your head on to get inside easier, and I will look into improving it further. Maybe I can just increase the falling speed a bit and that should be it. I just need to find what I can script to make it smoother.

Thank you for playing the map!
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Here is my run of the maps :D

Deon

Re: [GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.4

Post by Deon »

1.4 version is up.

I have created two extra levels on Earth to continue the teleport sequence. There are more in the works (including a train level thanks to Blood), but this is all I have completed so far.
I have also revisited the existing levels and modified some areas (i.e. made the conveyor belt in the crusher go around and carry items).
Props to whoever understands the reference in the planning of the garage in Military base level/layout of the bunker.

The new levels are quite higher in difficulty, but that's intended. Tell me if I should tone it down.
Deon

Re: [GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

Post by Deon »

1.5 version is up.

The bunker level is continued by a train level. City level next :).
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Sweet more fun levels. How many maps do you plan this to be? I can't wait to play it when it's complete.
Deon

Post by Deon »

No plans to stop at the moment. I consider this a learning experience before I decide on a specific theme for a "megaWAD project" eventually, so I will keep experimenting with various map sizes, monster count and themes.
Gez

Re: [GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.4

Post by Gez »

On M4 you can get stuck. If you climb on the mountain of the hobo imps (where they're hanging out by the burning barrel for warmth in the cold winter nights) you can jump to the roof of the hospital, and from there it's possible to drop down between the building and an outer wall, getting stuck.

Also in that same map, the exit door's tracks are not lower unpegged.
Deon

Post by Deon »

Thank you Gez, I will fix it with the next update. I secured the external lines but forgot about the roof :).

Return to “Levels”