TDBots Mk2 - v1 (11/05/2022)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26c (23/4/2020)

Post by TDRR »

baj468 wrote:Insert a waypoint by pressing the "Insert" key or by using the popup menu.
Delete waypoints, by selecting and pressing "Delete".

I hope the quick guide helps Cheers :D
Yep, found the issue now. Inserting a waypoint via the keyboard shortcut works exactly like you'd expect (works fine on my end and I can edit it too, appears in the right place, etc.), but using the right-click menu to insert one doesn't. Exactly what happens is that I insert one using right-click, and then a waypoint is added... at coordinates very far away from where I was pointing.

I create a waypoint at coordinates -256, 895 (approx.), and it spawns at -256, -1024 instead! Again, this only happens with right-click spawn, not using the insert key.

The quick tips were really useful and I'm glad to see that the program is working really well so far besides that bug! Once that's fixed, I'll add the guide and program itself to the OP both here and on the Zandro forums because this is GREAT! Once more, thanks for all this, it's so cool.
baj468
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by baj468 »

TDRR wrote:Yep, found the issue now.
Sweet, I'm glad you're getting use from it now, I will look into the popup menu insert issue tommorrow, probbly an oversight, should be easy to fix. Just a note, grid snapping will affect the actual final placed location, use grid of 1 or 0 to do exact placements.
TDRR wrote:I create a waypoint at coordinates -256, 895 (approx.), and it spawns at -256, -1024 instead! Again, this only happens with right-click spawn, not using the insert key.
Yeah looks like it'll be a small issue, i'll fix it and repost also when compiling CHM files, there are some setting options, i'll try and make one you can use.
TDRR wrote:Once more, thanks for all this, it's so cool
Thats no problem at all! I saw a great project and saw a way to help out. :) I'll get lots of great use out of TDBots so it's the least I could do, thank you for TDBots.
baj468

Post by baj468 »

Ok, I've fixed the insert issue it was just a small oversight with checking viewport position (in that insert function). Here is the new posting also the .CHM file was made without the binary-TOC hopefully that helps with that too. I've added a quickstart guide to the readme.txt file to help out those who have .CHM problems.

Waymaker Version 1.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hrhaopn7s ... 1.zip/file

Cheers :D
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

baj468 wrote:Ok, I've fixed the insert issue it was just a small oversight with checking viewport position (in that insert function). Here is the new posting also the .CHM file was made without the binary-TOC hopefully that helps with that too. I've added a quickstart guide to the readme.txt file to help out those who have .CHM problems.

Waymaker Version 1.1:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hrhaopn7s ... 1.zip/file

Cheers :D
Nice! This is perfect, I added a link to the OP with a brief description. If there's anything you want me to add to it or change, feel free to ask.
The quickstart guide works good and while the CHM still doesn't work (I've attached an image, though it's in spanish it should be recognizable thanks to the image and format) it doesn't matter nearly as much now that the quickstart guide is in and very helpful.
chmproblem.png
No bugs I could find this time, which is great.
baj468

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26c (25/9/2020)

Post by baj468 »

TDRR wrote:I added a link to the OP with a brief description
Thanks for adding the link, it's awesome seeing it on the front page :)
TDRR wrote:If there's anything you want me to add to it or change
Naa mate it's spot on thanks for doin' that.

Cheers.
ThewalkingCat

Post by ThewalkingCat »

I would want to request a patch on these mods, they are cool when playing alone with bots it's a warzone. :) It's a zandronum mod.

sfrenzy14.pk3
sfrenzy14_core.pk3

just wanted them to be able to move and shoot at the overwhelming numbers of enemies, if they can even ugrade their weapon at the ugrade shop that would be cool. :wub:
Svperstar

Post by Svperstar »

I tried the bot with Brutal Hexen RPG. The bot spawns in just fine and walks around but doesn't use weapons at all :(
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Svperstar wrote:I tried the bot with Brutal Hexen RPG. The bot spawns in just fine and walks around but doesn't use weapons at all :(
The bot won't just work with every single mod out there. The weapons need to be modified slightly so the bots can use them, which means that it'll only work with mods that have a compatibility patch for the TDBots, or have support built-in. Brutal Hexen RPG is not one of the mods supported.
ThewalkingCat wrote:I would want to request a patch on these mods, they are cool when playing alone with bots it's a warzone. :) It's a zandronum mod.

sfrenzy14.pk3
sfrenzy14_core.pk3

just wanted them to be able to move and shoot at the overwhelming numbers of enemies, if they can even ugrade their weapon at the ugrade shop that would be cool. :wub:
Hm, I think I'll talk a bit to Samuzero and see if he wants to collab with me to add support. This is one of those mods I really wouldn't want to keep updating the patches for.
baj468

Post by baj468 »

Hi, I found a small bug in Waymaker and have corrected it. It's so small but I decided to fix it and repost, it only affects the "Move By..." functions on the popup menu, they didn't change gray if moving outside map but now they do.

Here is the link to the latest one :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/li8dg29re ... 2.zip/file

Cheers,

-Brendon
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

baj468 wrote:Hi, I found a small bug in Waymaker and have corrected it. It's so small but I decided to fix it and repost, it only affects the "Move By..." functions on the popup menu, they didn't change gray if moving outside map but now they do.
All right, updated the link. Thank you for the fix!
MrYossarian
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26c (10/10/2020)

Post by MrYossarian »

Hi there, I have completed the Doom Episode 1 nodes for your mod.

I have made my own little program to create automatic nodes and If you're interested, I'd be more than willing to publish a sample of that program so that node creation can be easier for people.

Although, I couldn't do E1M6 because there's too many nodes, so whenever I run the node file, I get a bunch of "Unknown command". So for now, I didn't include them, I would recommend you to increase the limit somehow.

Anyway, here's the file: https://gofile.io/d/u9BX1B

I will start Episode 2 if you're fine with me completing all the other episodes.

Sorry if I sound confusing or if my english isn't very good, I'm not english native, haha.

Have a nice day!
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

MrYossarian wrote:Hi there, I have completed the Doom Episode 1 nodes for your mod.

I have made my own little program to create automatic nodes and If you're interested, I'd be more than willing to publish a sample of that program so that node creation can be easier for people.
That would be great, yes! I'm interested, how are you placing down these, if you don't mind giving a short explanation?
MrYossarian wrote:Anyway, I have did all the nodes of the first episode of Doom, although I couldn't do E1M6 because there's too many nodes, so whenever I run the node file, I get a bunch of "Unknown command". I would recommend you to increase the limit somehow.
You hit a ZDoom limit, those unknown command errors appear even before ZDoom is done starting up, at which point the TDBots have zero control over anything that happens. You can, however, put the nodelists in a LANGUAGE lump to work around it.

I've attached a .pk3 with this already done. I would recommend modifying the program to generate the LANGUAGE lump automatically as it's just better in every way than the exec method.
UltimateDoomNodes.zip
(10.85 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
MrYossarian wrote:I will start Episode 2 if you're fine with me completing all the other episodes.

Sorry if I sound confusing or if my english isn't very good, I'm not english native, haha.

Have a nice day!
Yeah, go ahead, this is super neat. One request though, not a big deal if it's not easily possible but if you can, could you reduce the amount of nodes at least a bit? I think 300+ nodes for E1M6 is quite a lot, so is 100+ nodes for E1M1. If this used less, much bigger maps could be noded and with very good performance too.

Even if you can't or don't want to do that reduction, this is pretty sick and I would like to see both Doom 1 and 2 noded in this way!
MrYossarian
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MrYossarian »

1. Essentially, this program places down nodes by calculating the distance between each nodes and the player. If the player is farther than 128 map units of all nodes that are present, the program places down a new node on the player, and the process repeats. I will have to upgrade this program soon so that it can place down a node whenever none of the nodes are in the line of sight of the player.

2. Alright, I can do that, I'll modify the program so that it generates LANGUAGE lumps instead.

3. Alright, I can do that, my program usually made a node at every 128 map units, but I think I'll change that for 256 map units, hopefully it won't be much of an inconvenience for the bots.

And no problem, I don't mind going through the maps again and renoding the maps with the new distance taken in consideration. Quick question though, should I make nodes for the secrets area or is it optional for now?
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

MrYossarian wrote:1. Essentially, this program places down nodes by calculating the distance between each nodes and the player. If the player is farther than 128 map units of all nodes that are present, the program places down a new node on the player, and the process repeats. I will have to upgrade this program soon so that it can place down a node whenever none of the nodes are in the line of sight of the player.
Ah, that's cool. It's actually similar to how the map learning works, but I never thought about using it to generate nodes that can be saved to a file, looks like it works very well though!
MrYossarian wrote:3. Alright, I can do that, my program usually made a node at every 128 map units, but I think I'll change that for 256 map units, hopefully it won't be much of an inconvenience for the bots.
If you add the line of sight checks, then it should be just fine and the bots will navigate basically the same as now but with less nodes.
MrYossarian wrote:And no problem, I don't mind going through the maps again and renoding the maps with the new distance taken in consideration. Quick question though, should I make nodes for the secrets area or is it optional for now?
If you really want, but otherwise no. An exception would be E1M1 since the outside area is easy to access and basically meant for deathmatch IIRC. IDK about any other secret areas that are large and should be noded in episode 1 (maybe one in E1M7 I think?).
Gustavo6046

Post by Gustavo6046 »

MrYossarian wrote:I will have to upgrade this program soon so that it can place down a node whenever none of the nodes are in the line of sight of the player.
That means no nodes would be able to connect to each other, as there would be obstacles between them! I instead advise avoiding plopping nodes in a straight line, by using angles (or even dot products between vectors) to determine if plopping down a node would be undesirable and form a line too straight. This of course should not apply if you're connecting 2 or more nodes that in turn can't see each other, like say in the junctions of a narrow corridor.

Another idea would be to add a trimming/clean-up step, which would remove redundant nodes (except those with special properties, like teleporter links or something), among other optimization and miscellaneous goodies.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”