Pickup sounds get cut off

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Pickup sounds get cut off

Post by drfrag »

Is it a bug? Any map, just summon a shotgun and a health bonus, when you pick up the bottle the cock sound gets cut off.
May be since sound refactor? It happens even with only one sound.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Pickup sounds get cut off

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, pickup sounds cut each other off. They all play on the same actor channel and this has always been the case.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It sounds bad IMO, is there a possible solution for weapon pickups? For other items it doesn't matter.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, this is how it always was and changing it will only give food for the "ZDoom is not Doom" crowd. Special handling for the weapon is not really doable because the engine makes no distinction here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

For mods at least it's pretty easy to change this since PlayPickupSound is a virtual. And if you need to mass-apply it to items you can just have it in a mixin. I'm going to have to side with Graf on this one, it's better not to touch the vanilla behaviour.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

Siding with Graf and the Ordinary Magician Who Is Going To Singlehandedly Code an AI That Will Take Over The Universe in ZScript Marisa Kirisame on this one.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:For mods at least it's pretty easy to change this since PlayPickupSound is a virtual. And if you need to mass-apply it to items you can just have it in a mixin.
Just be careful that there are mods that stack items on or near the same spot, which can cause the pickup sound to play at double, triple, etc, volume if they all play at the same time without cutting each other off.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:For mods at least it's pretty easy to change this since PlayPickupSound is a virtual. And if you need to mass-apply it to items you can just have it in a mixin. I'm going to have to side with Graf on this one, it's better not to touch the vanilla behaviour.
Note that it's not trivial to implement this functionality in user code for some items - like keys, for example, since you'd also have to redefine LOCKDEFS, and it's not a robust solution if a PWAD provides a custom LOCKDEFS lump. I've suggested to add a virtual method to handle pickup sounds on the owner's side, but so far this hasn't gained any traction.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

There's no need to use new LOCKDEFS definitions if you just make the changed keys have the same species as the originals.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Thanks for pointing it out! Not sure why I overlooked it. However, what if a map adds a new type of key? (green keycard, for example)

The point of my suggestion was to avoid replacing tons of items just to add the new pickup sound code. At the very least, it's blatantly inefficient.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

So there are sides now? :P
Graf says it can't be done, what sounds shitty to me is when a weapon sound is cut off with a regular item pickup sound and only that case. I even thought it was a bug.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

You can always just load a mod if it sounds shitty to you. That's what mods are for. Do note what Chris has said though, don't want to rupture your speakers.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

drfrag wrote:So there are sides now? :P
Graf says it can't be done, what sounds shitty to me is when a weapon sound is cut off with a regular item pickup sound and only that case. I even thought it was a bug.

This is ultimately irrelevant. This is how the game was designed and what most mods expect. Change it and the negative community response will be inevitable.
If you do not like how the game behaves, load a mod.

Otherwise we just get repeats of the explosion code not being compatible with how it was initially designed and other such un-features that were active by default instead of opt-in.
Changing core behavior is only an option if the alternative would render the feature unusable - a good example here is that projectile velocity is now being scaled along the 3-dimensional movement vector, because doing it in 2D would make high pitches useless.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”