The Inquisitor 3D v1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: The Inquisitor 3D

Post by Redneckerz »

Shadowman wrote:In addition, the gzdoom engine itself is not optimized.
It seems that the authors of modern gzdoom-mods need to specify system requirements, as for ordinary commercial video games.
Re the bolded: What is not optimized? What are the issues that arise that makes you arrive at stating this?

This kind of feedback could be really useful for Graf, you see. :wink:
Jaska
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Jaska »

Shadowman wrote: What are the parameters of your laptop?

I am sorry, but the mod for Doom on the gzdoom engine is not required to go on the i486 processor or the first Pentium. Although we tried to optimize the maps as much as possible, but, unfortunately, there are things that cannot be optimized without loss of content. In addition, the gzdoom engine itself is not optimized.
It seems that the authors of modern gzdoom-mods need to specify system requirements, as for ordinary commercial video games.
No problem, this laptop is not suitable for playing, since even my own boom compatible project(lost civilization) lags on bigger areas. I've Lenovo T430 with Intel HD4000 integrated graphics.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Redneckerz wrote:
Shadowman wrote:In addition, the gzdoom engine itself is not optimized.
Re the bolded: What is not optimized? What are the issues that arise that makes you arrive at stating this?

This kind of feedback could be really useful for Graf, you see. :wink:
I did not go into the details of the development of gzdoom, but I note that Inquisitor 3D was less laggy in versions of gzdoom 2.x than in versions 3.x or 4.x. In doing so, I leave most of the port settings defaulted, changing only the type of sector lighting and set Texture filter mode = None
By the way, on my working laptop gzdoom version higher than 1.7 - 1.8 does not start, because the video card does not support the video mode that was introduced with version 1.8 (or a little later).
Cassidy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cassidy »

Greetings everyone,

New guy/member here, I think that having the same system requirements as the authors or exceeding theirs might solve the lag or low FPS on certain areas. I could be wrong but just a guess. Maybe something like intel core i5 or higher, 8 GB of RAM or more, a SSD instead of a hard drive and of course a video card with at least 4 GB of VRAM. The Inquisitor 3D is crafted beautifully so massive areas with lots of things going on like fog and lighting will take a toll on lower end systems (mine included)
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Cassidy wrote:Greetings everyone,

New guy/member here, I think that having the same system requirements as the authors or exceeding theirs might solve the lag or low FPS on certain areas. I could be wrong but just a guess. Maybe something like intel core i5 or higher, 8 GB of RAM or more, a SSD instead of a hard drive and of course a video card with at least 4 GB of VRAM. The Inquisitor 3D is crafted beautifully so massive areas with lots of things going on like fog and lighting will take a toll on lower end systems (mine included)
One of the easiest ways to solve fps issues with this is in my experience was to enable vulcan and disable fog. Went from stuttering ~20fps in some areas to a smooth 60+.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

You can try to set the maximum distance for rendering 3D models in the Inquisitor3d options (see the additional Inquisitor3d options in the menu).
True, then visual incorrectness is possible (disappearing 3D grass and other objects with a radius of view greater than the exposed radius of the rendering of models).
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Inquisitor3D v 1.3 has been released today.
=========================
The main changes compared to version 1.2 are following:
- Fixed a quest that could not be completed in version 1.2 due to a technical error;
- fixed errors on some maps, which did not allow to finish them with 100/100/100;
- the fire cannon now requires STR + DEX + VIT> = 40 to use; all attacks are now equally depending on these three stats;
- sword attacks now restore life, provided that VIT> = 19; life restoration depends on both the VIT value and the harm done by the sword, so increasing STR also has an effect;
- the protection of most game's armors has been increased;
- crossbow damage reduced;
- also, the damage of "fire hands" has been slightly reduced;
- mines' exploded door has been redone;
- added a model of a dying girl in the church as well as some models in the dungeon of the royal castle and on other maps;
- other miscellaneous minor fixes.
===============================
a direct link to download:
https://yadi.sk/d/ptd-Zp6L-DKvXw

Also see a screenshot :)
https://i.postimg.cc/Y9r8BMrZ/Screensho ... 171544.png
Have a nice game!
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Oh wow, going to check out the new changes. Will replay it again while I wait for the Ascension to come out.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Cassidy wrote:Oh wow, going to check out the new changes. Will replay it again while I wait for the Ascension to come out.
And how were the changes in the latest version successful?
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

Shadowman wrote:
Cassidy wrote:Oh wow, going to check out the new changes. Will replay it again while I wait for the Ascension to come out.
And how were the changes in the latest version successful?
I was about halfway through ver 1.2 until the latest version dropped by, unfortunately I didn't finish the previous update so I decided to start over with 1.3. So far I did not mind the reduction in damage to the crossbow(s) since the ammo for light version of it is plentiful and you can pick it up after being shot. Burning Hands spell is one of my favorites if I play as a Mage but as of now my attribute to learn it is not high enough. I'm in the catacombs library right now where you pick up the Burning Hands spell. Also, using the Black Sword has become.. interesting with the added stamina bar after you swing it a lot. It isn't bad but it does challenge the player into using different tactics to deal with certain situations. So far so good :thumb:
anjinsanroland

Re: The Inquisitor 3D v1.3

Post by anjinsanroland »

BUGs:
1) Homing arrow scroll does not dissappear after learning it. EDIT: This bug happened just once when I forgot about the scroll first, and later used it in town. In my last playthrough when I used the scroll as soon as I found it, it disappeared normally.
2) STR: 22, VIT:19, Black Sword attacks do not restore life.

I wanted to try the new mechanics as a sword master with a high STR,VIT and moderate WIS build. But after finishing catacombs It felt as a wasted attempt;
Because when I finally got high STR and VIT, I already have the flail which is faster, more powerful and has more range than the sword. Also sword has no perceivable life restoration. So having high DEX and WIS instead of VIT is still better options for a melee warrior.

If VIT needs to be strictly greater than 19 for black sword to steal life, then I shall play some more and reconsider. But even with life steal, there seem to be a power, speed and range gap between sword and flail. Especially since flail has no stamina bar.

EDIT: Ok, after 20 VIT black sword begins to drain life. I think the melee warrior strategy is to use flail as the main weapon and resort to sword for healing purposes. Regardless I think the stamina concept is not much fun. I am glad you didn't implement it in Ascention.

By the way, Inquisitor 3D, with its thick atmosphere, massive labyrinthine levels and many secrets, is a more hardcore experience than Ascention. It is darker, harder and slower paced.

Also please don't get me wrong about stamina bar. I think it as a brilliant idea and I am sure it is hard to code as well. But I3D has already a balanced arsenal, also levels are designed around it. I would implement stamina in a different mod with different weapons with different weight.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Thanks for the detailed feedback on the latest version. We do not plan to update Inquisitor 3D anymore, since the authors are much more interested in creating new levels (and for them we are already preparing updates in the RPG system, objects, etc.) than to endlessly edit the project released 4 years ago.
The concept of stamina was ambiguous, so it was not carried over to Ascension.
Nevertheless, as an author, I would be interested in a more detailed comparison of Inquisitor 3D and Ascension: which moments are better in the first project, which in the second.
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

The first levels of I3D has an awe factor with the fog and the crows. It has a feeling of Diablo1 with more claustrophobic enviroments like a neverending catacombs level. It has a slow start at the village so it is for people who enjoy the mood and roleplaying, rather than who want to jump into the action. From time to time you have to stop and search around and use the map a lot to discover a way or find a solution to progress.

Ascention is like Diablo2 with its open fields and smooth progression (apart from the Crypt level of course, for which most people look up this thread for puzzle solutions). Also it begins more colorful and progresses like an epic high fantasy. It has a good tutorial, jumps into the action which is good for the majority of Doom mod players. It begins by giving a feeling for different character builds. Its awe factor hits when you discover the big city. There you have a better idea for a preffered and optimal character build. I3D has a more vague character progression; you don't know when or if your chosen build will shine.

The quests in Ascention are of epic scale, though Ascention is shorter than I3D. Also Ascention is easier to play even with a high difficulty setting. Ascention has more world in it; more minigames, guilds, a tower defence level, a massive scope with a false sense of different endings. It has everything that a classical fantasy RPG player will ever want. Howewer I3D provides how a seemingly smaller scope gets so deep, dark and wild. It challenges and rewards the player. Ascention on the other hand feels more balanced and fair.

I3D has a more relatable dark story with a good ending. Ascention has a more radical story with a dark ending with not so much relatable individuals.

I would advise first time players to play Ascention first and then move to I3D for a more hardcore experience. This will also be more true for keeping up with in-game chronology. Both games are great and both should be played by who love Daggerfall, Gothic, Diablo, Witchaven and Hexen.

I like to try different character builds with many restarts. I never find a good use for VIT in I3D. In both games, buffs provided by WIS are the most helpful, so going without WIS is for the challenge. Also being able to buy towers of defence in Ascention feels like cheating.

I may add to above if something else comes to my mind.

EDIT:
Item shortcuts in I3D are the way to go. Ascention needs those shortcuts.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Thank you for the detailed comparison of our two games. I agree in many ways. E3d really turned out to be very similar to the first diablo, and the comparison of Ascension with Diablo II also seems to me quite successful. While working on Ascension, I started more from the ideas presented in Wizardry 8 and Morrowind. Attentive players might have noticed some references to these games in both the locations and the plot (hint: compare the levels of the Temple of the Sun and the location of the monastery in Wizardry 8 :) I agree that the plot in Ascension is broader, but it really turned out to be less deep and coherent than in I3d. Unfortunately, we failed to achieve both the breadth and the deep elaboration of the plot at the same time.
It would be interesting to know if there are any ideas about the possibility of using Vitality in the future projects? What bonuses, besides the usual increase in health, could it give the player?
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Thank you for your detailed feedback! As for ideas for projects, as you correctly noticed, Inquisitor 3 is more Diablo 1. I drew more ideas for Ascension from Gothic and Nox. As for the plot itself, Yes, it is possible that it is more chaotic in the Ascention. Perhaps this is due to the fact that we came up with it already in the course of drawing maps. And we did not know how it would end almost until the final. The only thing we knew in advance was that Ascention would be a prequel to the Inquisitor series. In Inquisitor 3, the plot was already thought up ahead of time and was largely based on the plot of the story of Viy. But of course, many nuances were thought out in the process of drawing maps. For example, the the alchemist's betrayal. In Ascention, I wanted to make the story and gameplay more dynamic. That's why we removed the performance stats in sleep and Vitality.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”