Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rayman The Hedgehog

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Post by Rayman The Hedgehog »

Nice! the ammo drops are a very good addition since the original was very hard because of how the pickups were poorly distributed around the levels
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.10 BETA)

Post by Captain J »

Absolutely, and nicely enhanced! The TC now has some cool and new stuff like extra items, tougher enemy attacks and different blood colors. I love this update.

Tho not sure why it still has some Vanilla Doom assets like Player's gibbing and land sound effect. And Shotgun's firing sound is rather delayed.
Karl515
Operating System Version (Optional): EndeavourOS
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Karl515 »

First of all, I have not played the original so I'll base my feedback on this mod and this mod only.
Second, I played this on Delta touch (The android port) so the controls are a little bit clunky. I also played on "Normal" difficulty.
Fourth, I haven't completed the whole mod. I just played until the 3rd map.
Lastly, I know that it's still on beta stage so there might be some changes on the final product (Won't stop me from doing a full review though)

A very nice TC, the guns feel smooth and the gibs are also satisfying. The monsters (particularly the "pinky" and the "soldier" type) are annoying. I can't see where the "pinky" type are because they're too small and because the soldier uses hitscan, I don't see where the bullets are coming from (But if it's faithful to the original game, then it's fine). The level design, of course, is very bland. I feel like they deserve a remake of some sorts or even a reimagining of the story. Lastly, a standalone mod without the maps would probably be great as the mod on itself is pretty damn good. Now to finish the whole game to give a better and more complete review.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ooh this is indeed a big update, I am happy that the project is getting smart improvements since it deserve to become a full functional standalone IWAD. Will play it when I can for sure, awesome job ArcturusDeluxe!
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Great news!

My observations after playing up to level 07:
  • The teleporter particles: I would like them to not have any gravity and just go straight up while fading out. Just a preference. I kinda like the style of those green force fields in the first Flashback level :3:
  • Plasma rifle projectile speed: Excellent choice, it's now my favourite short to mid range weapon, and the preferred choice against Beholders. Speaking of which, it seems like their numbers were multiplied :shock: Also, at first I thought their brown blood made hits on them hard to see, but now I like it.
  • It's nice that the starting locations on each map have some supplies.
  • The stimpacks are also a good addition, there always seems to be one around the corner whenever you are low on health.
  • Armor shards seem to be fairly rare though, I commonly only got about five points of armor when I don't manage to find a vest.
  • I also didn't notice that you could drown until it was almost too late! Maybe a seperate sound effect, or indicator?
  • The small ammo packs are great, it's always fun to have more things to collect. I'd like them to be a little less plain, though; the small plasma cells in particular are basically grey. Ideally, I'd like all ammo types to have a common color style, so both large and small shell packs would have some red and/or yellow, the large and small energy packs would both have some blue/white, and so on.
  • The falling/dying Beholder sprite's eye looks funny and scary at teh same time!
  • Was the slippery Doom-style movement a thing in the original game?
  • The overall difficulty so far feels balanced. I pretty much rushed through the levels and there were just enough supplies to keep me going, but in some places I had to be more careful, which is how it should be at medium difficulty. A good mix of arcade-style run & gun and pitched battles.
  • I like how shotgun troopers can be killed with a full shotgun blast to avoid their deadly hitscan attack quickly, while the plasma trooper is harder to kill but not as much of a thread. Good!
  • The key-locked doors are not color-coded on the map, as in vanilla Doom, making navigation a tad harder than it needs to be. Maybe it could be changed? Otherwise, the map colors loook good.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played the first 6 levels and I have to say that this is coming along nicely, already a noticeable improvement over the initial release.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

would it be ok to release 3d modelpack addons for this TC once its completed?

I downloaded a lot of 3D models that are modelled from stuff from the alien breed series
Cherno wrote: I also didn't notice that you could drown until it was almost too late! Maybe a seperate sound effect, or indicator?
Drowning is a GZDoom feature that is activate when a player is in a swimable sector
and therefore not something specific to Project Osiris
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

GZDoom does natively support specific player sounds for drowning though (plus other water-related sounds such as surfacing etc). So it would certainly be possible, and easy, to add drowning sounds using the inbuilt system.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Yeah, about the specific player sounds, replacing vanilla ones into Alien Breen one, the original sounds of the game would be nice. Just a reminder! Not rephrasing.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Captain J wrote:Yeah, about the specific player sounds, replacing vanilla ones into Alien Breen one, the original sounds of the game would be nice. Just a reminder! Not rephrasing.
That's odd, there shouldn't be any Doom sounds playing, since there's literally no Doom assets being used. Are you running it as a PWAD for Doom? It should be played as a standalone IWAD. If not, something's gone wrong somewhere, and I'll look into it!

Regarding the drowning thing, I think I will just make air capacity infinite, as it was in the original AB3D. Maybe the character has some futuristic rebreather or something. There are only a couple of points where you're underwater for any length of time, and no-one really likes drowning mechanics anyway do they?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It'd still be worth adding in sounds for submerging/surfacing if you want to. IMO, it adds a little something to the experience. I think they player sounds are called *dive and *surface in SNDINFO.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Enjay wrote:It'd still be worth adding in sounds for submerging/surfacing if you want to. IMO, it adds a little something to the experience. I think they player sounds are called *dive and *surface in SNDINFO.
Thanks for the info, I already added this though - they just use the AB3D splash sound, no custom inhale/exhale sounds or anything, but still works fine I think.
CBM wrote:would it be ok to release 3d modelpack addons for this TC once its completed?

I downloaded a lot of 3D models that are modelled from stuff from the alien breed series
Forgot to address this one, but yes, that's ok! I'm interested to see how it looks.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Were those levels from the demo ever implemented? Or are they still being completed?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh, whoops! I actually haven't played this TC for a while, so literally forget about that. But i think i have more suggestions after playing it again:

- About additional sounds, i change my mind! I would like to hear the sound effects of picking up the minor ammo/health/armor items, medium enemies dying, being gibbed and the idle rabble.

- I genuinely think humanoid aliens should have much higher pain state. I know it's presumably originated from the game itself, but i found it quite unfair. Especially when i thought i nailed down the shotgunner but got a face full of lead point blank instead.

- Secret areas don't change colors when found in the automap.
ArcturusDeluxe

Post by ArcturusDeluxe »

Artman2004 wrote:Were those levels from the demo ever implemented? Or are they still being completed?
Not yet! These turned out to be more work than I thought, since the demos have a lot of unique assets that aren't in the main game. Unfortunately some of the textures they used in the original demos are actually quite strange and arbitrary, often placed quite randomly in the maps, so I have a lot of editing to make everything nice and presentable. I still need to finish the extra angle sprites for the green aliens too.
Captain J wrote:- About additional sounds, i change my mind! I would like to hear the sound effects of picking up the minor ammo/health/armor items, medium enemies dying, being gibbed and the idle rabble.
I'm not sure what you mean, all the sound effects from the original game should already be working. Minor health/armor should have a new higher pitched 'bing' sound, enemies all have their dying and idle sounds from AB3D, and the old AB3D gib sound should be in there. If you want to try everything out, "map test" in console to go to a map where everything is there so you check all the sounds.
Captain J wrote:- I genuinely think humanoid aliens should have much higher pain state. I know it's presumably originated from the game itself, but i found it quite unfair. Especially when i thought i nailed down the shotgunner but got a face full of lead point blank instead.
Ok, I'll look at this. I changed the painchance during testing when normal mode seemed too easy, but I think I overcorrected.
Captain J wrote:- Secret areas don't change colors when found in the automap.
Thanks for letting me know, I'll look at this too!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”