[WIP] Making A Game Together! - "Public Domain Game Project"

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Bratish
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

[WIP] Making A Game Together! - "Public Domain Game Project"

Post by Bratish »

So, I declare the resources of my project open to the whole world!

A parody game based on the Silent Hill franchise (like Total Conversion for Doom Register) on the GZDoom engine, which has good potential to become one of the famous indie projects in the future due to good art (not only pixel, but also quite photorealistic), realistic sounds and beautiful melodic music, and all - under the Creative Commons 0 license, which makes all the resources of the game absolutely free.

I've been doing this for several years with several people. I started with sounds. By the way, my hobby for FreeDoom helped, during which I understood what content should be for a good game, and when I came to this forum, excellent artists and just good people helped me to improve my skills. Now, having 561 images (an assortment from human faces to flesh textures), 2128 sound files (from voice acting of mechanisms and weapons to monsters) and with the support of a musician (who writes tracks under the same license), I can safely lay out all these assets are freely available, and, so to speak, with an eye to the fact that I can openly do a project with you, having a wide circle of communication (and not a couple of people, as before), and also make not only the visual, but also the gameplay part - levels for the game, normal enemy sprites and just support from professionals.

I note that I myself am a zero in creating maps for Doom, and I am not particularly friendly with scripts, but from the visual side (especially the sound one) I can offer a lot, so I really hope that I will get a response among you.

DOWNLOAD Part 1 < | > DOWNLOAD PART 2
  • What is?

Archive in two parts, in one documentation and images with music, in the second a huge pack of sounds made from free resources and their own recordings. You can download only one archive if you only need textures, but you can also download the second one if you work with sounds.
I apologize in advance for the order of files - they have been lying on my hard drive for so many years that I myself have forgotten what and where I put (especially with sounds), so sorry for the mixed up assets.

Sincerely your Bratish
Last edited by Bratish on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimshwel

Re: Making A Game Together! - "Public Domain Game Project"

Post by bimshwel »

If you want to get anyone interested in finishing your project, you need to at least demonstrate that it is viable and interesting, and inspire people with your passion, since presumably many others also have years of collected, unimplemented resources. I could not determine that there was even a zdoom-loadable data file in here.
Bratish
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Making A Game Together! - "Public Domain Game Project"

Post by Bratish »

There is no code here, but there are a lot of sounds and sprites. It's just that they are in the style of resource libraries, only this prevents you from using it as a mod. And so, in principle, nothing prevents from collecting .pk3 from what is, but I'm bad at scripting.

is - Mix it up
bimshwel

Re: [WIP] Making A Game Together! - "Public Domain Game Proj

Post by bimshwel »

You do not need to know code to put stuff in a wad! Merely download slade or whatever and observe how entries are named and arranged in other wads. You can even use another wad as a base and if necessary remove what does not belong there after you get what you do want in there. Sometimes the satisfaction of successfully doing something like that can be its own reward.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

More information would be nice

Community projects, completely open Stuff and the like is what makes this community nice

I myself always share anything I do for free... Be it script coding (ie gzfreedoom generic 3d elevator script),
3D model creation and/or modification (ie my ressource thread) or doom maps
Wereknight
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wereknight »

Sigh...

I have no good words for this. Knowing you any my word would be interpret as an pure form of an insult.
So I'll stay silent up until I'll see some stuff. I mean, screenshots, videos, etc.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

So I've scrolled through the available download materials. Everything looks on the level, which is good. For anyone not interested in downloading, average quality is about on-par with several post-doom 90's era shooters (think "Tekwar" for example). There's a lot of semi-abstract photoshopped textures, full-screen graphics for "cutscenes", a handful of weapon HUD sprites, and lots of single-angle sprites probably suitable for pickups or props (there doesn't seem to be any monster sprites with rotations).

However: We do have a rule that projects typically shouldn't be posted with the express purpose of asking the community at large to finish the project. Community projects typically require a lot of coordination and clout, not just a "director" looking for "talent". Unfortunately I feel that's kind of the case here. There's not so much a "project" as "a collection of resources with some ideas attached."

To that end, since this is a pretty decently-sized collection of original work generously provided under a CC0 license (thank you!), what I'm going to do is move it to the Resources forum instead, where hopefully someone will be able to use it.

8-)
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I believe some of the pictures are stills from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLa82W0z6uE this video that may be in a series and possibly give context to someone familiar with Silent Hill or the language being spoken there (I am not, in either case); i recognized the scene with the bathroom mirror from when I was told about this whole thing back in June.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

a few weeks back, I don't quite know why, Bratish sent me a direct message informing me about a new project which looks suspiciously like the old one. You can examine https://www.reddit.com/r/jamesonsdoor/ over there or https://www.deviantart.com/fdbratish/gallery if you are curious. What was here is literally that except green jacket guy apparently became a blue jacket guy recently. I have already been blocked from commenting at both locations after asking if there is any plan to do anything apart from draw that guy and some inexplicable fake-anime mascot standing around.

oh hello the post I was replying to seems to have migrated to viewtopic.php?f=61&t=45708&start=795#p1194113 even though mine is still here so it looks like I just brought this up because I felt like it.

Return to “Resources”