Ashes Afterglow TC - closing the vault

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: (WIP) Ashes Afterglow

Post by Kroc »

Episode 1 was the single-best game, of any stripe, I played in 2018. Can't wait for this! I only hope it doesn't fall into the Tomb Raider II school of over-compensating and amps up the shooting to the detriment of the atmosphere and exploring
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

ZDL_800 wrote:Absolutely brilliant! Works perfect in VR! With Episode 1 and Dead Man Walking.

Great game, new update looks awesome, thanks again!
Great idea, I should try it out! I've been putting off playing Doom mods in VR because of the 2D weapon sprites but being able to be *in* the world of Ashes would be awesome.

It would be awesome if someone could make VR friendly models for the Ashes weapons that could keep the feel of the originals.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello.

In my view, 3D weapons ruin the awesome sprites, you can trick the brain to render 2.5D, would be awesome if we had some Ai upscaled weapon item pickups as sprite based weapons are more consistent.

Honestly, as soon as you have 3D weapons, the sprites look 1D, if you have sprite based weapons, the brain renders them 3D.

Just minus- the Gamma, brightness and contrast for the best atmosphere render. The default settings are too bright in VR.

Never put off Doom mods in VR.
TommyGalano5
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TommyGalano5 »

"DROWNING IN A VAT OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL" super hyped for this! :shock:
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

ZDL_800 wrote:Hello.

In my view, 3D weapons ruin the awesome sprites, you can trick the brain to render 2.5D, would be awesome if we had some Ai upscaled weapon item pickups as sprite based weapons are more consistent.

Honestly, as soon as you have 3D weapons, the sprites look 1D, if you have sprite based weapons, the brain renders them 3D.

Just minus- the Gamma, brightness and contrast for the best atmosphere render. The default settings are too bright in VR.

Never put off Doom mods in VR.
I prefer the look of 2D weapons myself, too, but weapon orientation is VR is very important and orientation in 3D space is hard to communicate with a sprite. At least I personally feel that way.

As a compromise, what about a voxel approach? One that is based on the 2D sprite heavily like this:
https://twitter.com/DanielWienerson/sta ... 0577097728
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Thanks for the reply.

So basically for the sprite version, we would need to edit the weapon placement from angled to centered, which means changing the files, we should speak with the dev for permission first.

You cant use angled weapon sprites in VR, they all need to be centered so you can aim correctly.

I like voxels for items ingame, but the weapons, I personally like the sprite version with correct centered placements.

Also need to slightly slow down the player movement speed.

Thanks again.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Kroc wrote:Episode 1 was the single-best game, of any stripe, I played in 2018. Can't wait for this! I only hope it doesn't fall into the Tomb Raider II school of over-compensating and amps up the shooting to the detriment of the atmosphere and exploring
Haha, sorry, those trailers were really just an excuse to show off some of the new gun sprites. The actual game play is a lot more subdued normally than we made it seem. I am endeavoring to make sure there is a decent mix of action/exploration/story/horror. The first part of the current build is geared a little more toward action, but you get a choice early on to take a different path that rewards exploration and resource management. There are also a few opportunities to be sneaky, although I certainly won't be forcing the issue. Using a suppressed weapon or melee attacks, or finding alternate routes to get the drop on the enemy, will be completely optional.

And yes, there are a couple of areas where it will be atmosphere focused, but you guys will have to be the judges of that.

@ ZDL_800 and Gennoveus

Yo, good to see you again :D
I didn't ever figure VR in to the mix, I didn't actually know at the time we even *had* VR in Gzdoom. The more you know...

Anyway, I am glad you had fun trying it out. The issue can be made easier by having some dedicated Center-origin weapon sprites, perhaps? Something like this?

This is just a quick mockup I put together using Strife stuff, but I can make the actual sprites bigger/more detailed. Perhaps I can release this as a VR-compatible pack or something. Or just for those who prefer center-origin sprites. Let me know what you'd need. The days of working with models and voxels are long gone for me, I'm afraid. I have forgotten all that stuff by now.

And to everyone, thank you for the continuing support. I've just finished some more rotations and sprites for some of the new enemies, as well as updating the original sprites for some of our old foes. Some people noticed that some of the enemies don't infight very well due to lack of angled frames for some attacks, but I am fixing this. More soon.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello Vostyok and thanks for the reply.

The centered weapon sprite looks outstanding! That would be perfect for Ashes VR!

The weapon pickup sprite get allocated infront of the weapon sprite, which I agree would need some slight Ai upscaling, nothing much else to allocate, the game is optimized like a god, solid FPS.

Ashes VR !
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Wow, I wasn't expecting the man himself to take time out of his busy schedule to help with the admittedly still very niche VR scene. ZDL_800 seems to be experienced with playing gzdoom mods in VR so he's probably the best man to talk to about it but I'll give it a go and throw in my opinion, too. Maybe ZDL_800 and I could help in some way to remove the burden from Vostyok.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I can provide the weapon sprites. It should be easy enough to set up a VR friendly weapon sprite replacement. Spriting is one of the few things I'm actually semi-competent at anyway :lol:

I might need one of you to help test them in-game to make sure they work properly and make adjustments if you can. If I have time, I'll set up a demo before the release and you can let me know what you need to make it work.

I'm still trying to get a VR set myself but that might have to wait till Christmas. Heh.
ZDL_800

Post by ZDL_800 »

Hello Vostyok thanks for the reply.

Sounds awesome, any testing required let me know, I'll keep an eye on the thread. VR in GZDoom is out of this world, its epic.

Thanks again for your awesome works.
Renson

Post by Renson »

Hi guys.
I have a question about Ashes 2036. I downloaded version 1.15 from here https://www.mediafire.com/file/ya00h8wa ... 5.zip/file and tried to give it a try with the latest gzdoom.

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -iwad Ashes2063Maps115.wad -file Ashes2063Mod115.pk3
However, there appears to be texture issues
http://i-fotki.info/26/9c65ff3544ded016 ... 7.jpg.html
http://i-fotki.info/26/118cc6a2045b384b ... 9.jpg.html
I have no idea of what i could have done wrong.
Any help, please?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Ashes isn't an IWAD, you load it as a mod on top of Doom2.

8-)
Renson

Post by Renson »

My bad. Thanks. It works just fine now
gzdoom.exe -file Ashes2063maps115.wad -File ashes2063mod115.pk3 -file CJs_WastedAshesSFXs.wad
Someonewhoplaysdoom

Post by Someonewhoplaysdoom »

I forgot to put this question on the first ashes topic. How do you get the sawed-off shotgun? Its for a addon, a configuration or is a secret gun? I never figured that.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”