[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:One idea is to make the castle a lava pit and have paths and roads be a 3D floor with gaps between the houses and the paths (except for the path that leads to the door). The houses themselves can be normal sectors for the sake of sanity. This means that the player can potentially fall down into the lava if they're not careful. Of course the paths should be wide enough and not Doom II's Chasm-tier 8-map-units-wide sectors.
what do you think of this?

I made the lava floor something that is a real danger now when navigating the level and to enter the castle you need to go to the back and jump over in a place where it is less wide and then tiptoe around the edge of the castle to reach the entryway

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

That's what I meant, looks nice. To add some depth, I'd lower the floor a lot, basically make it a pit, and only have lava at the bottom. If you've watched the first Shrek movie, kind of like the scene where Shrek and Donkey crossed the bridge.
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:That's what I meant, looks nice. To add some depth, I'd lower the floor a lot, basically make it a pit, and only have lava at the bottom. If you've watched the first Shrek movie, kind of like the scene where Shrek and Donkey crossed the bridge.
ah yes.. okay... here are some screenshots after adding more torches and drawbridge + main street

Image Image Image Image Image Image

what about getting back up from the lava if it is a pit?
9Rifleman
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by 9Rifleman »

I personally consider the rules more of a set of guidelines than laws, so I'll allow this kind of deviation. I think the track for MAP25 is nice so let's keep it. Do see if you can manage to lower the size and get it to loop nicely.
Roger that :) Worst case scenario, I will remove the skybox and just use a normal sky. That's what I had there initially, with a texture that was similar to the skybox one. That alone would save ~2 MB.

@CBM: Nice castle!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@CBM: That'll work. Keep it up!
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:@CBM: That'll work. Keep it up!

here is the new 'shrek and donkeyfied' main street:

but short of adding stairs, I have yet to figure out how to help the player up again (The player will NOT survive long in lava though)

perhaps the borders could have some rock formations that could serve as stairs?
9Rifleman wrote: @CBM: Nice castle!

I plan on filling it up with the finest looking real estate that hell has ever seen :-)
Last edited by CBM on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBM

Post by CBM »

found a solution... I made some rock formations... so now doomguy can get back up after a nice refreshing lava bath

Image Image Image

might change the 'shrek bridge' wood texture...

I figured the lava pit in the courtyard should light up like it does in Shrek

now nukage is crossed when entering the castle

btw.. the castle uses magic wood that is not affected by lava
9Rifleman

Post by 9Rifleman »

Got my internet access back today and so I can show you the very first small teaser of 36. This time I wanna go for temple/crypt kind of setting, with some portal mischief and perhaps some moving polyobjects. The name so far is Extispacist's Realm. Mutators for now: 19, 20, 21
Spoiler:
Is it allowed to freeze the player for purposes outside teleport destinations on narrow ledges and such? For example, I had this idea for the end of the map, where I would script a short scene, like a ritual, and would like the player to see it and not interrupt it. So I would freeze him for say, 5 seconds. Or would this stray too far from Doom gameplay?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Fine by me. Use https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS_NamedExecuteAlways so it works in co-op.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the screenshots. I do like where that's going. A crypt would indeed be an interesting theme.
CBM

Post by CBM »

decided on metal bridges

Image Image Image
9Rifleman

Post by 9Rifleman »

Accensus wrote:Fine by me. Use https://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS_NamedExecuteAlways so it works in co-op.

EDIT: Forgot to comment on the screenshots. I do like where that's going. A crypt would indeed be an interesting theme.
Thanks!

It's still early stage, but for now a little preview of a portal trap. I'm thinking showing a message: If you want the key, you need to jump. :D
Spoiler:
CBM

Post by CBM »

added temple and now surrounded by a sea of souls

Image Image Image Image
CBM

Post by CBM »

added another building...

Image Image Image Image Image
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@CBM: This is shaping up to be quite the interesting map. Would likely be much better in terms of performance too. Looking forward to more screenshots and eventually playing the map!

@Rifleman: Dam son. [desire to see more intensifies]
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:@CBM: This is shaping up to be quite the interesting map. Would likely be much better in terms of performance too. Looking forward to more screenshots and eventually playing the map!
Thanks!

All buildings are now complete, now I just need to tweak scripts and ensure that there are enough items and monsters on the map

what do you think of the stone arc? should it be something darker like metal instead?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I'd like 2 more map slots, so I can continue with other maps after this one gets completed

Return to “Levels”