[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Post by CBM »

The switches at not related to the spirit, they lower floors to give Access to the red Key and to give Access to lowering a gate in the mountains

The lava is swimable for a while and most places you can crawl back to shore

You can finish the map with 0 coins if you wanted

The coins are optional... they can only be used for buying chainguns and medkits at the village

Each area that can lower a gate show status with bars that lower according to the gates lowered

I'll take a look at the other things...
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:Some feedback.
maybe my hellgate is just not a good fit for this project, I have made a smaller map, that while still large, features a castle with a more arcade styled gameplay

this is already located in map slot 31, has custom music in ogg format that comes in below the 5 MB limit and it is called Castle Master, it is my way to honor the memory of the game called castle master, give it a try... remember to warp to map 31 when testing

https://ufile.io/pe1c5r7h

the tune is the original music made for Castle Master by Matt Furniss in 1990

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?game_id=1258

I have no idea if the tune is copyrighted, but I have found an alternative that is free to use for non-commercial projects, if it becomes an issue...

http://dig.ccmixter.org/search?searchp= ... strumental

A Series of Smooth and Orderly Transitions
by gurdonark
free for non commercial use.

The OGG version of "A Series of Smooth and Orderly Transitions" comes in at just 2,78 MB
Last edited by CBM on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@Rifleman: On second thought, it turns out that the UAC door misalignment is a texture pack bug. You can keep it as it is, just in case. It's not that big of a deal.

@CBM: Hmm, I will give that one a try tomorrow. Kind of burned out on Doom for today.
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:@Rifleman: On second thought, it turns out that the UAC door misalignment is a texture pack bug. You can keep it as it is, just in case. It's not that big of a deal.

@CBM: Hmm, I will give that one a try tomorrow. Kind of burned out on Doom for today.
ok, I found a script error, its fixed in this version:

https://ufile.io/gvxy2hh6
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote: @CBM: Hmm
Its just that I Think I need to reThink the whole inner hell map

Something like this

1. Being forced to talk to a questgiver at the start
2. Collecting Enough coins to buy a Ticket to a ship (the exit)
3. Keeping the good parts like the village, marble tower and the 2 locations from the original screenshots that you liked
4. Recycling the rest in other maps

The Castle master map:

The map has 4 spawn spots that gets activated in turn and each spawn 10 monsters. The Player needs to kill atleast 30 to exit. The exit is in the Temple. Watch out for rising blood levels. At high difficulty more monsters spawn at the same time and the selection is more badass... Ie tougher monsters will appear

Ie. Instead of just zombies and imps ... Cacodemons would Also appear at higher difficulties
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Spoiler: MAP31 (the new one)
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:
Spoiler: MAP31 (the new one)
yes, okay... thanks for the feedback :-)

I was a bit worried about the castle crawling myself

the frag counter only goes up when the player kills an enemy, however I could easily make it so that it just counts whenever a monster dies regardless of its killer

for the houses, I could reuse some stuff from the village I made on the other map...

I'll fix the startup text

the same mutators still apply (lava floor and 3d floors)

I will try to make sure that no more than 40 monsters will spawn

what format does the level music need to have?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

The thing about the lava floor mutator is that lava is a constant hazard and not just surrounding the map.
what format does the level music need to have?
From this page: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Music_format
  • Midi-based formats
  • Module formats
  • Emulated formats
9Rifleman
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by 9Rifleman »

Took some time today to do some fixin', details below:

MAP25:
Spoiler:
MAP06:
Spoiler:
I'll upload new builds within a few days, wanna fix the music first. I thought I saw it in the design doc that OGG is allowed, but I guess not. I am using it for MAP25 music as well, so I expect you'll want me to change that, too...

Since I am not an expert on music formats, any suggestion which one to pick, so the tracks sound as they do now?

MAP36 got delayed by this and IRL stuff a bit, but I should have an update next week.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

MAP25 is fine because it's an ambient track. Those are explictly covered by the rules so no need to change it.

And no worries about MAP36, there's still a looooot of time.

As for the music format, I'm hardly an expert on those either so just take your pick. I think Module formats aren't affected by soundfont? Can't confirm that but IT modules are commonly used so it's probably a good start.
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:
The thing about the lava floor mutator is that lava is a constant hazard and not just surrounding the map.
Ah ok, any ideers how I could do that with the castle map? or should I just stick with the 3d floors mutator?

I wanted a bit more space to make an actual small village so I did a 6 tower castle to serve as 'atmosphere':

now I need to add buildings, the temple will return to the courtyard as I liked that the player sees the exit at almost the moment he enters the castle

some of the other houses might be the ones from the village in the old map
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

One idea is to make the castle a lava pit and have paths and roads be a 3D floor with gaps between the houses and the paths (except for the path that leads to the door). The houses themselves can be normal sectors for the sake of sanity. This means that the player can potentially fall down into the lava if they're not careful. Of course the paths should be wide enough and not Doom II's Chasm-tier 8-map-units-wide sectors.
CBM

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:One idea is to make the castle a lava pit and have paths and roads be a 3D floor with gaps between the houses and the paths (except for the path that leads to the door). The houses themselves can be normal sectors for the sake of sanity. This means that the player can potentially fall down into the lava if they're not careful. Of course the paths should be wide enough and not Doom II's Chasm-tier 8-map-units-wide sectors.
Thanks I"ll try that and See how it goes
9Rifleman
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by 9Rifleman »

Accensus wrote:MAP25 is fine because it's an ambient track. Those are explictly covered by the rules so no need to change it.

And no worries about MAP36, there's still a looooot of time.

As for the music format, I'm hardly an expert on those either so just take your pick. I think Module formats aren't affected by soundfont? Can't confirm that but IT modules are commonly used so it's probably a good start.
After playing with this for a couple hours I can now say that it's either not possible to just convert the track to any of the allowed formats or I just cannot do it. I managed to convert it to MIDI, and it's hilariously horrible. Can't convert it to MOD because something something compression. Even tried to work with a mod tracker for this.

What I can do, is either keep the format but recut it and lower the quality ever so slightly, so it sounds the same and loops nicely and fits within the file size limit. Or I can just pick another track, preferably something already in MOD. Some Unreal music could work(been looking at Dirt and Isotoxin, one Deus Ex track sounded okay too). I would consider some nice old game MIDI music as an alternative.

Which would you prefer?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

9Rifleman wrote:Which would you prefer?
I personally consider the rules more of a set of guidelines than laws, so I'll allow this kind of deviation. I think the track for MAP25 is nice so let's keep it. Do see if you can manage to lower the size and get it to loop nicely.

Return to “Levels”