Level summary after the episode ends

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

MatrixCL
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Level summary after the episode ends

Post by MatrixCL »

I'm not aiming for breaking speedrun records, but I do like them, so I just speedrun with GZDoom. Much smoother. :)

The problem is that the way to know the final time, is by having the total time displayed in the HUD and then looking in the top right corner to see what the final time was, right before the episode is completed. Other game ports, like PrBoom+, show the same screen as you see after finishing a level also after finishing the final level, before showing the episode story ending.

I did notice the option "Show ENDOOM screen", but I believe that refers to the story ending, which is not what I am looking for.

Would this be feasible?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Level summary after the episode ends

Post by Rachael »

I actually think this would be a good idea, and it should be feasible. I'll implement it myself if there are no objections, CVAR controlled.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

As a MAPINFO option this already exists, there's no reason to add a CVAR that does the same and forces the summary screen after each level or hub. This would also be useful in Hexen which has no summary screens at all.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:As a MAPINFO option this already exists, there's no reason to add a CVAR that does the same and forces the summary screen after each level or hub. This would also be useful in Hexen which has no summary screens at all.
This statement is self-contradicting so I am not clear what you are actually saying, here.

Going strictly by the first sentence, I'd disagree - the CVAR would override the MAPINFO which currently can only be overridden by MAPINFO - I do see a CVAR that defaults to being false but can be set by the user as true being useful here.

Going strictly by the second sentence, I would agree that this would be useful in Hexen, too.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

All I wanted to say is there's nothing new feature wise that you need, just an override for existing functionality.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Added

It's CVar controlled by 'sv_alwaystally'

Code: Select all

- add 'sv_alwaystally' defaults to 0 with the following states:

* 0: previous behavior (completely MAPINFO controlled)
* 1: always show level tally at the end of a non-hub level
* 2: always show level tally even when changing levels within a hub
MatrixCL
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MatrixCL »

Great, thank you! I'll keep an eye out for the next version. :wink:
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Check tomorrow's DRD Team devbuild.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Can I ask what the MAPINFO option is called? Are we talking about NOINTERMISSION?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Ugh, great. Another annoying thing that modders have to account for..
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Only those modders with control issues. I have no pity for them.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

:D Are you really one to be able to talk down to people about having control issues?

I'm mostly just saying that this setting (especially if set to 2) will make some mods behave in unexpected ways - the old mod-controlled NOINTERMISSION behavior was in place for what, 20 years, unaltered?

Any mod IWAD that doesn't provide an INTERPIC image (because why would you, if you don't use intermissions) now gets a black background with the Doom-style intermission tallies on top. OK, it looks like garbage, but, whatever, at least it works.

Adventures of Square, and any other mod that provided an ACS-based end-of-level screen, now has two finale screens for each map - the second one looking like said aforementioned garbage and saying "Game Over", because that graphic was never meant to be shown after each level.

For the commercial IWADs, Strife loses any sense of seamless transition from hub to area map. Hexen also, but there are more natural breaks in gameplay there.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Setting 2 may indeed be useless, but some people seem to want it. What can you do? I would have been satisfied with 1, because that's what I normally use - I want my tally after each map, even the last one. This may need a bit of tweaking to optimize the feature's exposure.
Regarding Adventures of Square, what hackery did they do? The engine has enough means to do such things properly without any risk of backfiring
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can remove setting 2 if need be. It does seem a bit excessive. I didn't check - but - do the tally screens include stats from all levels in the hub? Because that's all you need, rather than just the stats of the level itself being exited.

But let me say this:

While I can understand the frustration from the modder side, greeting a feature with "another annoying thing modders have to account for" isn't very helpful, especially when a feature like this is meant to be a QOL improvement for the user experience, overall.

That being said - I also understand that ZScripted tally screens is a really new feature, and ACS tally screens have existed a long time before that. I think a mod-wide compatibility setting to account for this might be appropriate in this case, but as far as I know mod-wide hash compatibility settings have not yet been implemented. So anything I implement would have to be retroactive, at this point.

Also, I think it will be possible to implement a full-mod compatibility system that builds on the nerve.wad checking as a base, but that probably is more appropriate to discuss in a new topic.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”