[p33] Reelism 2 - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Techokami
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Reelism 2

Post by Techokami »

undeadmonk354 wrote:Ahh... The lobby was the first hub in Reelism 1, now it's a town in Reelism 2. I'm looking forward to it!
Well the lobby was more for multi player, this was primarily designed for single player. Though this will also work in multi player as well (superweapon dealers will sell their wares to each player, not just to whoever gets there first!)
Captain J wrote:Absolutely majestic. The dialogue, the map, and the endless possiblities! Now i wonder if we could buy some items before starting the round.
Yeah there's an items dealer in town. Not much selection but you can at least get some grenades from the get-go.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Just a quick update here: As a result of Shadsy's dabbling, the endgame screen is no longer half-done. It is now, in fact, all-done!

High scores also save the name of the map they were scored on, for posterity's sake. Each game mode has separate high score tables, as do ██████ maps and minigames. This should hopefully make it easier to share your high scores with others over the Information Superhighway!

Also, for old time's sake, there's a few Nethack-style allegations about your supposed feats and actions. Nice.

We're edging ever-closer to a first release, with things falling off the to-do list left and right. Stick with us, friends!
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Is the Jerk affected by knockback? If so, what happens if you try to send him out-of-bounds?
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Do bosses have their own theme music or not?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

First release... I hardly can wait for it, alright! I also can see the possibilities with scoreboard like resetting them all so we could sort out the new batch, and inputting your nicknames even! So i could type ASS in there. :P
Gabenslair

Post by Gabenslair »

can't wait to see what new twists and turns you'll bring to the table with reelism 2.
Will i be fighting ghouls in a failed circus with only weapons that only nerf my opponents?
Bizarre knockoff monsters brought at some thrift store to threaten my ammo stocks of bullet hell rifles?
How about being cornered in a geocity styled hellscape with only a really complicated weapon with 3 different altfires?

Skys the limit when "caring" about consistency is not only unwanted, but discouraged.
But I'm seriously looking forward to whatever stuff you pull out of your pocket.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Kinsie wrote:We're edging ever-closer to a first release, with things falling off the to-do list left and right. Stick with us, friends!
I have one question fer' this here mod.

"Will it support DECORATE Bosses n' Enemies? (and weapons?)"
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

AvzinElkein wrote:Is the Jerk affected by knockback? If so, what happens if you try to send him out-of-bounds?
THE JERK, like all bosses, is both unaffected by knockback and affected by monster blocking lines.
undeadmonk354 wrote:Do bosses have their own theme music or not?
No. Boss music is per-map, a-la Reelism 1.
YukesVonFaust wrote:"Will it support DECORATE Bosses n' Enemies? (and weapons?)"
If you inherit from our base ZScript actors (Splot_Monster etc.) so you can use their properties and code pointers and such, I don't see why not. You'll still need to write some ZScript to cover making them appear in the game, but that's pretty copy-paste at this point.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

And hey... Speaking of THE JERK(plus his wife) kinda needs some kind of a bit of mercy, so the player actually can figure out how to actually survive from them. Spawning from nowhere, in an instant, as in without warning and kill you in an instant is a first thing, but they can ride a teleporter even(see Fort Firestorm).

And i tried to hide from Ms. THE JERK by standing outside the bridge, behind the support beams at Abridged, but she killed me with her landing explosion anyways. I don't know what really killed me, but i saw her landing before splattering me to smithereens. So i guess she have a big hit detection? Or it's just because of the explosion?
YukesVonFaust wrote:"Will it support DECORATE Bosses n' Enemies? (and weapons?)"
Custom contents for the prequel actually happened. It's kinda tricky because you have to use ACS scripts, but you can do it nevertheless.
Last edited by Captain J on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eltiolavara9

Post by eltiolavara9 »

going in the completely opposite direction as captain j i think THE JERK should be able to teleport when he can't reach you
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Huh... So we want to make THE JERK even more jerkier? Sure, why not: Make him pass some areas that enemies can't access(see Astrolab).
TheShadsy

Post by TheShadsy »

Hi folks! I'm back once again contributing to Reelism, and I wanted to drop by briefly to say that Reelism 2 is shaping up to be something terrific. It's reached the point where we're having so much fun playing it that it's actively distracting us from working on it!

One thing I'm really happy with is that Reelism 2 is a much more fine-tuned experience. During development for Reelism 1, we would just manually send Kinsie the ACS/DECORATE code we wanted him to add, which was frustrating for everybody involved. It also meant it was hard to work on minor changes like balance tweaks. (These are all reasons why Reelism X3.1 is sort of a mess.) This time around, we're working off a shared code repository, so it's easier for us to incrementally change things like weapon feel or monster placement. I think the results speak for themselves, and I'm excited for people to try it.

We're very close to releasing the first public version of Reelism 2, so stay extremely tuned. I've been going back to the original Reelism to see how things compare... and Reelism 2 makes Reelism 1 feel like vanilla Doom.
undeadmonk354

Post by undeadmonk354 »

Reelism 2 is almost here...
BoneofMalkav

Post by BoneofMalkav »

undeadmonk354 wrote:Reelism 2 is almost here...
I can almost taste it's sounds and feel it's colors.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

And we surely can't wait, alright!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”