Shadow Warrior 3 Announced

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Shadow Warrior 3 Announced

Post by Nems »

Usually it takes more than a teaser to get me interested in a game and considering how disappointed I was in 2, I was skeptical when the Shadow Warrior Twitter account started posting images. However, I do like the teaser enough to keep an eye out for more. The Lo Wang depicted in this teaser seems more reminiscent of the first one in terms of attitude than the second one, which I dig.
sinisterseed

Re: Shadow Warrior 3 Announced

Post by sinisterseed »

I am hyped already, and saw it coming allcthe way back when they said they have 2 big titles slated for a 2020 release and a new, smaller one post-2020.

It will be interesting to see how SW will play like in Unreal Engine 4. I hope the story will be better this time around, it was great in SW2013 but SW2's story was fairly weak in comparison. It had much better gameplay and balance though.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

SW2 being a looter shooter made me not interested at all. I hope this one isn't.
Nash

Post by Nash »

lowskill. wrote: It will be interesting to see how SW will play like in Unreal Engine 4
Where are you getting this information? Search reveals that they're using their in-house Road Hog Engine.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

Nash wrote:
lowskill. wrote: It will be interesting to see how SW will play like in Unreal Engine 4
Where are you getting this information? Search reveals that they're using their in-house Road Hog Engine.
I was wondering the same thing. o:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nash wrote:
DSOgaming: Flying Wild Hog ditches Roadhog Engine over Unreal Engine 4, will announce two new games in 2020
Michal Szustak wrote:We are really, really proud that we were able to actually make and develop the engine at the same time we were doing the games. So it was an awesome success for us, but it came at a cost. We needed to have a really big engine team and it was always like you were chasing the rabbit because there was the CryEngine, Unreal Engine, Unity. And we saw that the gap between this huge Epic team making new cool stuff, adding features to their engine, and our 10-people engine team who’s trying to keep the base, the gap was getting larger and larger. So a year and a half ago we decided to actually switch to Unreal Engine 4.

Honest, honest answer. Yeah, it was hard, but maybe in a little different way than you would expect; it wasn't hard in terms of, you know, technology or tools. It was hard because, for many years, our team was used to use our own engine. And seriously, many, many of our employees were unhappy because of the decision. Because it was our engine. We were one of few studios in the world that actually could make awesome games using their own proprietary engine, so it was more like a psychological problem or difficulty than it was in terms of technology. In terms of technology, in a few months, we actually remade all our prototypes and our games into Unreal Engine 4, so it wasn't difficult. But you know, even after a year and a half of working on UE4 with few projects in development, with really awesome stuff we created, we sometimes still hear in the corridors that it was cool when we were doing something in Roadhog because this particular thing was a little easier to achieve in the old engine. Sentiments die really slowly.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

^ Yep, precisely that same interview. Epic gave them access, the tools, and helped them out with porting their stuff to UE4, as stated by Michael Szustak in some interviews at the beginning of the year.

SW3 is 200% on UE4 now, just like the other unannounced games, and the Road Hog Engine was retired ever since. I do wonder if they're going to port the other SW games to UE4 though, Szustak said he's definitely not taking that out from the equation at the very least, and it could also allow them to release them on other platforms too/newer gen of consoles.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

lowskill. wrote:Epic gave them access, the tools, and helped them out with porting their stuff to UE4, as stated by Michael Szustak in some interviews at the beginning of the year.

SW3 is 200% on UE4 now, just like the other unannounced games
So pretty much guaranteed to be an Epic Store exclusive, then.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Chris wrote:So pretty much guaranteed to be an Epic Store exclusive, then.
Epic's engine licensing and storefront efforts are pretty separate. (You can tell because the UE Marketplace is good and has all the features the Epic Store should, like a shopping cart!)
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Chris wrote:
lowskill. wrote:Epic gave them access, the tools, and helped them out with porting their stuff to UE4, as stated by Michael Szustak in some interviews at the beginning of the year.

SW3 is 200% on UE4 now, just like the other unannounced games
So pretty much guaranteed to be an Epic Store exclusive, then.
If that was so it would've never come to Steam to begin with...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1036 ... Warrior_3/

It may also come to GOG, but no idea about that yet, it isn't there currently. Perhaps later.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Kinsie wrote:Epic's engine licensing and storefront efforts are pretty separate.
Not completely. Epic cuts deals with engine licensees who sell on the EGS ("If your game is built using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover your engine royalties on Epic Games store revenue"). I also wouldn't expect Epic to help them out with porting to the UE if they weren't going to get more out of it (unless that's a standard deal of the UE license, that they'll help with porting existing game projects, in which case fair enough).
lowskill. wrote:If that was so it would've never come to Steam to begin with...

Plenty of games were announced for Steam, like Metro Exodus, Phoenix Point, The Outer Worlds, and others, until suddenly they were EGS exclusive. Some even had pre-orders going, trailers with the Steam logo, the whole bit. Until another store starts distributing it, or there's some other legally-binding statement by the publisher, you can't assume anything if Epic decides to throw its money around.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Chris wrote:
Kinsie wrote:Epic's engine licensing and storefront efforts are pretty separate.
Not completely. Epic cuts deals with engine licensees who sell on the EGS ("If your game is built using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover your engine royalties on Epic Games store revenue"). I also wouldn't expect Epic to help them out with porting to the UE if they weren't going to get more out of it (unless that's a standard deal of the UE license, that they'll help with porting existing game projects, in which case fair enough).
lowskill. wrote:If that was so it would've never come to Steam to begin with...

Plenty of games were announced for Steam, like Metro Exodus, Phoenix Point, The Outer Worlds, and others, until suddenly they were EGS exclusive. Some even had pre-orders going, trailers with the Steam logo, the whole bit. Until another store starts distributing it, or there's some other legally-binding statement by the publisher, you can't assume anything if Epic decides to throw its money around.
Maybe so, but currently there is no reason to expect it will be locked to the Epic Store for good or temporary, just because other games did it.

Innocent until proven guilty.
spoone

Post by spoone »

I thought the trailer was kind of underwhelming. I really liked the reboot cause it was something that I never expected to see considering Shadow Warrior is a cult game. Sw2 isn't bad but i've just never felt the need to finish it. Also I think they made Lo Wang a bit too annoying in 2. I really hope they tone him down in 3, but I don't see that happening. I mean yeah I know he was kind of obnoxious in the original game too, but he was like Duke Nukem where he only said something when he needed to. They basically made Lo Wang into Deadpool in the reboot.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If the trailer is anything to go by, he's never going to shut up. I'm already sick of his constant "witty" quipping after only 2 minutes.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I must have grown up sometime, because I don't find this humor and excessive violence very entertaining anymore.

Return to “Off-Topic”