[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Conmon

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Post by Conmon »

Alrighty, after a day or so of tinkering, I'm not going with the two-colors mutator (maybe for another map :mrgreen: )
Right now, I've got the bones of the map about done, here's some screenies of the more finished areas:
Spoiler:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Hotdang! Looks awesome!
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Whew, okay. Took a bit longer than I was planning, but I think I'm done!
Behold... DIMENSION DOOR. Lemme know if anything needs ironing out :D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe0vnurz1aodt ... 9.wad?dl=0
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Thanks! The only thing I found was duplicate par times in the MAPINFO. Went with 122 instead of 30. I'll check it out in depth when I have more free time. Been busy a lot with side things lately, including IRL stuff, but hopefully that will change soon-ish.
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Accensus wrote:Thanks! The only thing I found was duplicate par times in the MAPINFO. Went with 122 instead of 30. I'll check it out in depth when I have more free time. Been busy a lot with side things lately, including IRL stuff, but hopefully that will change soon-ish.
OOP. Totally spaced on that, par is 122!!
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Quick update regarding the audio file rules: ambient tracks are now allowed to use streamed formats, but they are still subject to file size limitations, so choose carefully.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Hey since there's still a number of available map slots, maybe I'll take a shot at making a 2nd map for the map11 slot. If that's permitted. I'll probably try a bunch of different mutators to add to the challenge. Let me know if that's an option.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

@Voltcom9: Sure! MAP11 it is.

@Conmon: I still haven't gotten around to playing your map, for which I greatly apologize. Haven't had any time to sit down and play anything lately. I should be free starting next month. Will give it a shot then.
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Accensus wrote:@Voltcom9: Sure! MAP11 it is.

@Conmon: I still haven't gotten around to playing your map, for which I greatly apologize. Haven't had any time to sit down and play anything lately. I should be free starting next month. Will give it a shot then.
It's all good... and I just realized that I forgot to change MAP01 to MAP09. OOPS.
In the meantime, another map idea popped into my head — mind if I claim MAP14?
Mutators will be 6, 7, 8, 15 (time limit, puzzle, floor is lava, lethal hazard to manage). Although technically the floor is slime and not lava, so...
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Sure. And no worries about the map name, I've already fixed that.
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

UPDATE TIME:
MAP14 Mad Dash Overflow sees you outrunning an ever-rising level of toxic sludge. You have to navigate floors, move scaffolding platforms, wait for crates to float up, and plunge into the murky depths to... flip a switch or retrieve a key, I dunno yet I'm working on that.

Also, I suppose I should add mutator 21 (3d floors), as many of the puzzles rely on them.
Spoiler:
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I remember a map similar in concept in 20MCP. It was called "Up". Well, the floaty segment was at the end, but I still remember it fondly. The screenshots look nice. Looking forward to playing it!
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Id like to try my hand at one of the hell maps using 8 and 19 (floor is lava and rely on portals)

basically I am imagining a lava pit with tons of elevated rock surfaces that needs teleporters to move between them

what is considered a big vs a small hell map?
is music required?
is the use of custom textures required?
could a combi of doom and otex textures be used?
is the use of limit removing stuff a requirement? (the maps I made was back in the 90s in an old dos editor for the dos version of doom 2)
the multiplayer aspect, is that just adding player starts?

gzdoom builder:

game configuration gzdoom doom 2 udmf
script type zdoom acs

(co-op) map things:

player 1 start
player 2 start
player 3 start
player 4 start
player 5 start
player 6 start
player 7 start
player 8 start

?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Id like to try my hand at one of the hell maps using 8 and 19 (floor is lava and rely on portals)
Sure. Should I pick a slot for you or do you have one in mind already?
Hard to say. Hell is really abstract. I'd consider a big hell map anything with exploration and, say, a big structure (unless you pick mutator No.5). I consider MAP20 of Doom II to be relatively big compared to the scope of this project and the average size of the maps in it.
is music required?
Nope.
Nope.
Sure.
is the use of limit removing stuff a requirement? (the maps I made was back in the 90s in an old dos editor for the dos version of doom 2)
Yes. I'm not sure of all the complications that may arise from having mixed maps, if any. You don't really have to use any of UDMF's advanced features.
Depends on whether or not you add custom code. If all you're making is a map, you need to add player starts (up to 4 is good, anything above that is not a requirement) and make sure other players can't get stuck or otherwise get softlocked.
script type zdoom acs

(co-op) map things:

player 1 start
player 2 start
player 3 start
player 4 start
player 5 start
player 6 start
player 7 start
player 8 start
Looks good to me.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

Accensus wrote:
Sure. Should I pick a slot for you or do you have one in mind already?
Hard to say. Hell is really abstract. I'd consider a big hell map anything with exploration and, say, a big structure (unless you pick mutator No.5). I consider MAP20 of Doom II to be relatively big compared to the scope of this project and the average size of the maps in it.
is music required?
Nope.
Nope.
Sure.
Yes. I'm not sure of all the complications that may arise from having mixed maps, if any. You don't really have to use any of UDMF's advanced features.
Depends on whether or not you add custom code. If all you're making is a map, you need to add player starts (up to 4 is good, anything above that is not a requirement) and make sure other players can't get stuck or otherwise get softlocked.
script type zdoom acs

(co-op) map things:

player 1 start
player 2 start
player 3 start
player 4 start
player 5 start
player 6 start
player 7 start
player 8 start
Looks good to me.
Ok
well just pick one of the big hell map slots, I Will AIM for Something like the size of map 20 in doom

I have no plans of using any limit removing Stuff aka advanced features

Return to “Levels”