Cold as Hell: Decampaignified 1.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Cold as Hell: Decampaignified 1.1

Post by ZikShadow »

DESCRIPTION:

Based off of JonayaRiley's Cold as Hell: Special Edition that then Ed the Bat later fixed up, CaH: Decampaignified is a gameplay mod for Doom that takes the tactical gameplay from Cold as Hell into something that you could play with other mapsets! It may no longer be cold, but it sure is still Hell! Also I couldn't think of a good opposite to Vaccinated, since this is taking the gameplay out to make it its own thing instead of taking the gameplay out to make the map playable with other mods, maybe there's already a universal name I missed. In any case, think of Decampaignified as a temporary name of sorts until I find a better one. Either that, or this name sticks, who knows?

It's fascinating, this mod. Possessing tactical gameplay that's rarely seen in Doom mods, it's like the spiritual predecessor to what Hideous Destructor would then bring to the slow and methodical Doom gameplay mod table. I enjoyed playing the original so much that I decided to replay it immediately after finishing it. From bleeding/bandaging, magazine drops (though no management, so any tact loads throw your ammo away), and of course enemies you could take out relatively fast while they themselves packing serious heat.

After all that, I thought to myself, this is a pretty good mod to try playing every now and then. Something that's lighter than HDest, yet still keeping that thought process of high planning, speed despite slowness, and conquering tough odds with unlikely tools. And so it was set, I'll strip off the campaign stuff from this mod, add in some modifications of my own to suit regular Doom field use, and then release it incase others are interested. That, and of course there's stuff that I think could do with some changes.

ADDITIONS:

Now, y'all must be wondering what are the stuff I've changed from the original. It's not absolutely bonkers, no fancy schmancy animations and what not (not like I have the skills to do something like that. Not now, anyways). But some of the changes are pretty significant.
Spoiler:
There's probably some stuff I've forgotten, but that should about cover the surface of what I did to this mod.

DOWNLOAD:

The truth has been revealed, but can you deal with the aftermath?

ADDONS :

2015, Inc: MoHAA Sounds Variant

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

VIDEOS:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:

This mod wouldn't have happened without the excellent work of the original authors of CaH along with Ed the Bat's fixes allowing me to still play it even in modern GZD. You can find information regarding CaH's OG stuff in the included cah_se.txt and cah_credits.txt. However, while cobbling up this modpack, I did add some other stuff that are made by others. Here they are:
Spoiler:

CHANGELOGS:
Spoiler:
Last edited by ZikShadow on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Whoah

Re: Cold as Hell: Decampaignified

Post by Whoah »

Oh hell yeah, I was hoping someone would do this! Loving the new sprites! I didn't have a lot of time to play this, but I really enjoyed what I played of it. Couple minor gripes/suggestions though:

-the mounted BAR is kinda weird, to me. Dropping it makes the player toss it, which makes it possible to sorta throw it around and abuse the hell outta it. Ideally, it should drop to the player's feet to keep it stationary.

-the animations could stand to be smoothed out a bit, but that's not super important.

-as a suggestion, a weapons only and/or enemies only version would be really neat, but that's also not terribly important.

That's all I have as of now. I'll come back with more feedback after I've had time to play it a little more. Great stuff all around so far, though!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

I tried having the mounted BAR drop to your feet, but what happens is that you'd immediately pick it back up, 'cause you automatically pick up items if you're close enough. I suppose I could've fixed this by implementing the Use to Pickup mod and then adjusting the drop offsets, but I like to keep stuff like other addons to what the player would like to use themselves.

On the other hand, I'm kinda okay with this too since green armors are rarely put in a place that's beneficial for mounted placement, you could toss it to somewhere you could crouch under and use that as cover. Players could abuse it, yes, but you could only squeeze so much fun lugging a BAR with unlimited ammo around bit by bit through a big map.

And as for the weapons/enemies thing, it has been considered for a while. I just wanted to make sure that I won't have to do major changes later before doing the separation stuff.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Yeah, fair enough. Then I can safely say I haven't experienced a single serious issue while playing this! Although it would be nice if the mounted BAR was fully loaded when the player grabs it, as it can be frustrating when the armor spawn is on a monster closet trigger
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very impressive take on Decampaignifying(eheh quite long word, ain't it?) Cold as Hell TC! Tho i haven't played the TC itself often, but the feelings of using weapons are so great. Now we have tons of possibilities!

But one question: Why BAR on a tripod glitches rather frequently? It has infinite ammo for some reason and it stops me from moving. So i have to drop this weapon and sometimes it disappears from the inventory if i get the weapon while moving.

Regardless, this is fascinating!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Whoah wrote:Although it would be nice if the mounted BAR was fully loaded when the player grabs it, as it can be frustrating when the armor spawn is on a monster closet trigger
Aha, that's the thing. If I leave the ammogiver to full, you could abuse the gun and recover ammo by tossing it and then picking it back up without having to reload the weapon. Even now there's the case where the gun's ammo technically never left your inventory, so the next mounted BAR you find would have the same ammo from the previous one you tossed (though I'm sorting that one out as we speak, hopefully that one's not gonna last).
Captain J wrote:Why BAR on a tripod glitches rather frequently? It has infinite ammo for some reason and it stops me from moving. So i have to drop this weapon and sometimes it disappears from the inventory if i get the weapon while moving.
I was trying to replicate the mounted BAR's behavior in the original while keeping it somewhat usable if you're not in a good green armor position. It pretty much does the same thing, giving you unlimited ammo yet completely unable to move aside from crouching unless you relinquish control of the gun. Indeed, the last bit with the drop toss is something that I've yet to find a solution for.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Will there be a Strange Aeons compatibility patch? This mod looks like the kinda thing i'd want to go with SA. Also yes, moving with the mounted BAR is extremely terse and annoying during monster traps and spawns due to its tendency to lock you in place and reload forever, but movement in general is also rather difficult.

EDIT: Dunno why I said "Cold as Hell" instead of Strange Aeons.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

ZikShadow wrote:I was trying to replicate the mounted BAR's behavior in the original while keeping it somewhat usable if you're not in a good green armor position. It pretty much does the same thing, giving you unlimited ammo yet completely unable to move aside from crouching unless you relinquish control of the gun. Indeed, the last bit with the drop toss is something that I've yet to find a solution for.
While people's pointing out that you honestly can't do anything with the unstable nature of original Tripod BAR, i'd suggest to make it foldable and ammo limited.

And about the glitch, why not add the thrown weapon a temporary THRUACTORS flag or stop the player from getting it for a second?
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Captain J wrote:While people's pointing out that you honestly can't do anything with the unstable nature of original Tripod BAR, i'd suggest to make it foldable and ammo limited.
The non mounted BAR that's on the plasma rifle slot is kinda that. Able to be carried and shot freely, but has limited ammo.
I'll try to see if I can do anything about the drop.
EddieMann wrote:Will there be a Strange Aeons compatibility patch? This mod looks like the kinda thing i'd want to go with SA.
Huh, I suppose it could fit there pretty well. I'll add it to the to-do list.

EDIT: A small update.

- It's not perfect, but I think I managed to get the mounted BAR enough delay before you could pick it back up again.
- Sped up mounted BAR's reload speed. Thought it might help, since I did tamper with the balance of the weapon initially (the mounted BAR used to have 100 rounds in the original).
- Made sure that the mounted BAR doesn't get counted as an Item. Silly of me to miss that.
- Also included a preliminary SA compat patch that replaces the weapons with CaH ones, haven't tested it the whole way though, pardon if things still get too hard. Load it after SA and CaHD.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Feels weird if you use the tripod BAR while you already have BAR that takes your ammo away. But since it was in the original, it's fine as it is, i guess. Thanks for the update.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Perhaps instead of having a mounted BAR, the normal BAR could have an altfire where you deploy the bipod which gives you reduced movement or leaves you unable to move, but gives you way less recoil and a faster reload speed. Then the green armor could just be another weapon spawn or something. Maybe it could spawn a thompson, since I noticed that's kind of a tough gun to find now that chaingunners don't drop chainguns

EDIT: Oh, and you can avoid the ammo issue with the mounted BAR if you just make the player start with 20 mounted BAR rounds in their "inventory," that way it'll be fully loaded the first time you find it
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

1. I'm trying to keep from overhauling too much. I used to think that perhaps adding in the mounted BAR is a silly thing and that I should just use the greenarmor spawn as another portable surgery kit drop, but running out of ammo every now and then got me reconsidering. Perhaps that too was a silly idea. If more complaints come up, I'll probably just scrub the mounted BAR entirely and do a randomspawner for the greenarmor. Something like kit/Tommy/Garand/Shotgun.

2. The idea escaped my mind entirely. Thanks for that. Another small update has been uploaded with that bit.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

1. I personally really like the idea of the mounted BAR, but it does seem like it would cause a few glaring issues. A random goodie spawner would be pretty welcome as well. Maybe it could spawn a random ammo pickup of any kind to help curb those ammo issues you mentioned.

2. Yeh no problem, man!
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Okay, another small update. Mounted BARs are still in (I like them too much to be rid of them, honestly), but they're rarer this time. Green armor slots have the double barrel, pump action, Tommy, the mounted BAR, and the portable kit as its randomspawn chance.

Might give it the 1.0B name now that there's enough changes.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

ZikShadow wrote: - It's not perfect, but I think I managed to get the mounted BAR enough delay before you could pick it back up again.
- Sped up mounted BAR's reload speed. Thought it might help, since I did tamper with the balance of the weapon initially (the mounted BAR used to have 100 rounds in the original).
- Made sure that the mounted BAR doesn't get counted as an Item. Silly of me to miss that.
- Also included a preliminary SA compat patch that replaces the weapons with CaH ones, haven't tested it the whole way though, pardon if things still get too hard. Load it after SA and CaHD.
Replace Nyarlathotep with the pilot and it's even better.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”