Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
boris

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by boris »

Enjay wrote:What I like about the old 181 slopes is that when I make a slope, I know that it will slope to that line and the floor on either side will flow smoothly across from one to the next. I know how the end product will look and I know how it will behave when I change the height of the floor.

For some reason, all of those seem less intuitive for me with the newer slopes. I've often created slopes that don't quite match with the next sector height, where changing the sector height has had (for me) unexpected and sometimes rather extreme results.

Also, I can F3 search for a line 181. I don't think that I can search for other slope types.

Oh, and the texture checker takes account of 181 slopes. It seems less reliable with other types.

I mean, I know I'm just doing to have to suck it up and get used to them because what can be done with them can be amazing.

I just need to get over it. :lol:
They are not meant to replace other sloping methods, they are just an addition. Use whatever tools fit your purpose best. The rule of thumb is that the more complex stuff you want to do the more sense it makes to use plane equation slopes (through visual sloping).

Take something like this:

The gray boxes are crates, now try to slope the sector that crosses over them. Sure, you can do it with the "old" methods, like replicating the slope outside the playing area and using slope copy things in all the sectors. But that can become cumbersome.

Using visual sloping it's absolutely trivial: https://streamable.com/izec3x
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh, I certainly wasn't trying to say that visual sloping is bad. I was merely saying why I find the old style (generally) easier conceptually and - for simple slopes - tend to give me results closer to what I expect to be happening (mostly because of familiarity I guess).

Your video ably demonstrates a situation where visual sloping would be quicker, easier and more effective. :yup:
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Jaska

Post by Jaska »

UDMF

Why "copy texture" doesn't copy the scale as well? Earlier did. In visual mode.

[Edit] Autoalign seems to fix this. So autoaligning it will match the scales.
boris

Post by boris »

I don't think it ever copied the scale. Not sure if it should. Try "copy properties" and "paste properties".
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

boris wrote:I don't think it ever copied the scale. Not sure if it should. Try "copy properties" and "paste properties".
Hmh,you are right. I've "new" computer and messed up with my keys. I just thought I used "copy texture" earlier and indeed it was "copy properties".
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

"Reset texture offsets" (shift-r) only works on planes, not walls. When you try a wall, it says it reset offsets but doesn't actually do anything.
boris

Post by boris »

"Reset texture offsets" only resets the global offsets in UDMF, but changing the offsets in visual mode changes the local offsets. Use "Reset local texture offsets (UDMF)" instead (default: ctrl+shift+R).
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

I have different view height on the player on my mod. So can I have the view height changed on visual mode on UDB?
boris

Post by boris »

Jaska wrote:I have different view height on the player on my mod. So can I have the view height changed on visual mode on UDB?
Setting "cameraflooroffset" and "cameraceilingoffset" in a game config should work. By default they use 41.0 and 10.0, respectively.
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

boris wrote:
Jaska wrote:I have different view height on the player on my mod. So can I have the view height changed on visual mode on UDB?
Setting "cameraflooroffset" and "cameraceilingoffset" in a game config should work. By default they use 41.0 and 10.0, respectively.
Thanks used cameraflooroffset and worked nicely.
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

Offsetting 3D-floors would be useful. Like selecting multiple of em and shift them all up or down as you can with "normal" sectors.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Feature request:

I'm not sure if this is the same idea as pointed out by Jaska.

Could it be done that by selecting all/specific 3D control sectors in editing mode

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/t2QHDLz[/imgur]

would highlight the ceiling/floor surfaces of those 3D sectors in 3D Preview Mode

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/WSW7OGx[/imgur]

instead of having to select those surfaces one by one?

Could this be incorporated into Stairbuilder?
simc

Post by simc »

Kappes Buur wrote:Could it be done that by selecting all/specific 3D control sectors in editing mode [...]
instead of having to select those surfaces one by one?
You can synchronize the selection between Visual and Classic modes. In Sectors mode just group select the 3d floor control sectors and then enter to the Visual mode.

The only gripe is that the rendered 3d floors in Visual mode aren't shown as being selected, only their control sectors are. But whatever you do with them is applied to the 3d floors in real time.

In detail:
Spoiler:
And in Sectors mode if you select the 3d sectors' control sectors in order (and before that set the first and last one's heights), you can use the "Make Floor/Ceiling Heights Gradient" actions for them.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Oh, vow, that really works.
I was so close and got fooled by nothing visually indicating that the preview surfaces were selected. I obviously did not look at the bottom message.
Thank you simc.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”