Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

Possible, surely, but not easy. The fonts are a flat one-dimensional namespace with one entry per code point.
This is again one of those weaknesses in Unicode, what if someone sets their language to Serbian and then plays a mod with Russian content that is active regardless of language?
How many characters are we talking about, and how critical is this?
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Graf Zahl wrote:How many characters are we talking about, and how critical is this?
5 characters: б г д п т

It’s not terribly critical. Russian characters are by far the most widespread ones on the web, and Serbian and Bulgarian users are many times forced to read those instead. As a result, many have gotten used to it.

You have more technical information about this here if necessary.
Graf Zahl wrote:This is again one of those weaknesses in Unicode, what if someone sets their language to Serbian and then plays a mod with Russian content that is active regardless of language?
In more usual scenarios, I’d say the user’s language has to take priority, but the hypothetical Russian-Serbian language fanatic you mention in this case will have a massive language clash in front of them that is obviously not intended nor supported by the mod author. In short, they will have to play in Russian, and that’s not our problem.

In addition, I seem to remember that there are several characters that differ between Chinese and Japanese in the same way. Maybe someone else here can tell us more about which ones?
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Undead wrote: In addition, I seem to remember that there are several characters that differ between Chinese and Japanese in the same way. Maybe someone else here can tell us more about which ones?
Well, it's may not the same level as Russian vs Serbian & Bulgarian to me...and actually it's many, and Japanese version(Kanji) may not always means the same to the original Chinese version was meant, as Japanese used their own "means" for they feel suit.

Examples :
床 = Bed in Chinese but it's mean floor on Japanese (Pronunciation : Yuka), and Japanese used ベッド(Beddo) for Bed.

鳥 = Birds in Chinese, Chicken and birds(all kinds) in Japanese(Pronunciation: Tori).

湯 = Soup in Chinese but in Japanese, it means hot water/hot bath(Pronunciation : Yu), also 熱湯(Nettou, Hot Soup in Chinese) means hot water/hot bath too.

芋 = Taro/Yam(?) in Chinese, Sweet potato in Japanese(Pronunciation : Imo).

馬鹿 = In Chinese, means Horse & Deer without actual means but in Japanese it means Stupid(Pronunciation : Baka).
馬鹿野郎(Baka-yarō) => Stupid bastard. Yes, it's swear, and targeting male mostly.

先生 = Man(used when respectfully) in Chinese, in Japanese, it's mean teacher/elder/experienced experts.

I'm not very well on Japanese(well, my knowledge about Japanese "language" itself just shitty, can read little but not much), at least I have google and get some info. :3:
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

PlayerLin wrote:
Undead wrote: In addition, I seem to remember that there are several characters that differ between Chinese and Japanese in the same way. Maybe someone else here can tell us more about which ones?
Well, it's may not the same level as Russian vs Serbian & Bulgarian to me...and actually it's many, and Japanese version(Kanji) may not always means the same to the original Chinese version was meant, as Japanese used their own "means" for they feel suit.

Examples :
[...]
I believe what he means is the characters being different in the way they're drawn/written, rather than their meaning.
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

phantombeta wrote: I believe what he means is the characters being different in the way they're drawn/written, rather than their meaning.

https://www.japanese-language.com.tw/info-136.html

Sorry, the site is Chinese, but it does have some pics about different. The first set : right side is Japanese Kanji, left side is Trad. Chinese; The Second set(on last pic): Upper = Japanese Kanji, Lower = Trad. Chinese.

Other examples : (Left side: Trad. Chinese -- Right side: Japanese Kanji)
樣--様
歸--帰
著--着
眾--衆
鄉--郷
將--将
狀--状
==

Other set of examples:
First : Trad. Chinese ; Second : Simp. Chinese ; Third : Japanese Kanji

收 收 収
搜 搜 捜

開 开 開
論 论 論
現 现 現
業 业 業

醫 医 医
辭 辞 辞
亂 乱 乱
會 会 会

樣 样 様
遲 迟 遅
圖 图 図
發 发 発
氣 气 気
變 变 変
實 实 実
眾 众 衆
聽 听 聴
經 经 経
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Well, those use separate Unicode characters, so there should be no issues with them.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

For Chinese and Japanese there's only an issue when using unified code points with different glyphs for each language, because the VGA font only has one glyph per code point.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Alternate glyphs could be put in a private use area; but the problem becomes inputting the text to use non-standard characters, unless we let the engine handle it (character X becomes character Y when using language Z).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

This would have to be handled in the font management by adding locale specific character tables. For Serbian there's something else: The Raven font is lowercase only, so a "proper" substitution would be problematic because the provided characters occupy the uppercase code points.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

By the way, is there a list of language identifiers somewhere? (like "de" is for german, "fr" is for french)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Tormentor667 wrote:By the way, is there a list of language identifiers somewhere? (like "de" is for german, "fr" is for french)
As far as I am aware, GZDoom uses the ISO 639 codes, but I am unsure which revision of the standard is in use.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Perfect, thanks kindly
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Player701

Post by Player701 »

The Russian translation for the "Drop weapon" gameplay option is incorrect. It can be translated back to English as "Keep weapon after death", which is obviously wrong. Perhaps the translator confused it with the "Keep weapons" coop option. I would like to correct the translation, what should I do to get editing access?

Return to “Developer Blog”