BorderDoom: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (update 1.2)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sunbeam

Re: BorderDooM: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (1.0 released!)

Post by Sunbeam »

nakkemake wrote:Oh how i would wish there to be a plasma rifle...
I could still add one. However I did not before because I feel like people would expect a plasma rifle to be stronger than the other weapons (like it is in Doom) which I don't want. Plus it's not part of Borderlands. ;)
Mech wrote:This one is called Going Down. Some levels (especially towards the end) are bona fide slaughterfest, so I wouldn't advise that.
I've heard of this one! Seems to be really good. :)
BlytzDragon

Post by BlytzDragon »

This mod feels more or less an early alpha build rather than a full release. There's a lot to be added in order to feel like a Borderlands like Doom mod. I would recommend taking inspiration from Borderlands 2 with some elements from 3 as well as the Doom Roguelike Arsenal + DoomRPG mods.

In order to feel like a Borderlands mod for Doom, I would recommend adding in:
- Loads of more unique looking weapons - having 6 weapons as of now seems very limiting, especially if it's based off the Borderlands 1 content.
- Weapon manufacturers and gimmicks - this can help to have with adding in more weapons, maybe the chaingun could be the Vladolf assault rile equivalent, or the super shotgun being a Jakobs double barrel.
- More prominent weapon classes - Pistols, Sub machineguns, Shotguns, Sniper Rifles and Rocket Launchers are all there, but what about the Assault Rifles and Laser guns?
- Weapon Rarities - It feels like there are only white weapons currently, I would love to see other rarities like green, blue, purple, orange (legendaries) or even the e-tech (magenta). Maybe have the plasma gun and BFG equivalents as E-Techs.
- More unique shields - it feels like I'm getting the same default shield over and over. What about the spike, nova and adaptive shields for example?
- Grenade mods, class mods and relics - I would love to see other equipment implemented in this mod and see how it translate in Doom.
- Classes, action skills and skill trees - Having at least four playable classes would be very interesting along with their associated action skills and skill trees, typically a Soldier, Hunter, Siren and Berserker. I would recommend having the siren as female. Also, a character that isn't human would be very interesting. Maybe have the berserk powerup dedicated to a class' action skill. Also, respecting skill points would be nice.
- Better inventory system and SDUs - I would love to see a better-looking inventory system so I can check my max ammo capacity and a better weapon comparison.
- FFYL and respawning without restarting the level - Could be interesting and also the penalty would be 7% of a player's total money because of new-U stations.
- Level select - once you been in a level, I would love to go back to previous levels without starting over. Probably in relation to randomly generated quests.
- More enemies and superbads - Because Borderlands has them. Also, I would like to have the option of levels of enemies and loot be equivalent between on what level you're up to and the player's current level.
- Loot chests, containers, money and eridium drops, shops, bank, maybe a hub level for randomly generated quests etc. - it's part of the shoot and loot of the main Borderlands games.

Again, take inspiration from the Doom roguelike arsenal and Doom RPG mods as well as the Borderlands 2 and 3 games. I'm looking forward to how this mod develops regardless. ;)
BlytzDragon

Post by BlytzDragon »

Oh I forgot, I would also like elemental weapons and combat messages like how much damage you're dealing with enemies and critical hits and elemental resistance. Maybe having enemies with different health bars such as shields and or armour. Also elemental barrels.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Thanks for your feedback. :) Some of these ideas are on my todo-list. However some will probably never get implemented, mainly because of the time needed to do so.
GripZ
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by GripZ »

Hey!

is Second Wind possible?
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

An interesting idea. For singleplayer I wouldn't like it that much, but for multiplayer it might be cool (to help each other out).
From a technical perspective: Might be doable, but could be tricky.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

Sunbeam wrote:An interesting idea. For singleplayer I wouldn't like it that much, but for multiplayer it might be cool (to help each other out).
From a technical perspective: Might be doable, but could be tricky.

if only you culd make skins for all the guns or something and started with worst first so that you didnt get hte best gun at startup..

also even more complex would be enemies coming up in different colours or versions past first or second level etc.
Sunbeam

Re: BorderDoom: Doom + Borderlands gameplay (update 1.1)

Post by Sunbeam »

BorderDoom 1.1 released!

See first post for download and changelog.
Starman the Blaziken
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Starman the Blaziken »

I tried out the mod today, and it seems to have nice concepts going for it even while I played around with the mod a bit, I would love to see more in the future for this mod to become a lot more of a fun experience to play on an entire map set, but I do have a single problem when I played your 1.1 version.
With the HUD scaling it can intercept the stats text with the number stats for weapons and armor that I want to pick up.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

I'm glad you like it.
Getting the user interface things right is a bit difficult. Could you upload an image of the problem?
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Uh... I encountered an odd bug: I tried to load into Kinsie's test map and the game immediately closed, no error message or anything.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Interesting. Link please?
CanisLaticanis
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CanisLaticanis »

Sunbeam wrote:Interesting. Link please?
Here you go. Generally pretty handy for testing mods to be sure there's no big fails in my config or the like.
Gabenslair

Post by Gabenslair »

Same problem with the closedown, although this time its messing with a UDMF map i just made to test this mod.

I can say for sure that the problem itself has to do with the ACS script clashing against the Level's ACS script.
I tried different numbers but it seems like it just doesnt want any type of ACS scripting in the level, or else it will just insta-close.
Mech
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Mech »

Loot system still needs to be worked on, because higher level loot != better loot. Because of the that I even had to punch Matermind, for all my weapons' damage output was ridiculously low. Was easy though because of berserk bonus.
I also noticed that souls drained from bosses are larger in size and move slower, than if drained from lesser monsters. What a strange way to underline their significance. :roll:
Large numbers in shotguns' statistics' damage field still don't fit the interface.
Anyway, I'm glad to see the development is still going on and will be waiting for more features! :D

Return to “Gameplay Mods”